TravelTalkOnline

New Year's Eve

Posted By: weluvbeachncuzzi

New Year's Eve - 12/19/2021 08:34 PM

Any recommendations for how and where to spend New Year's Eve day and evening while on the island? Looking to know special events or activities unique to the island that day or New Year's Day for that matter, Dutch or French side both good. First NYE on island and will be there through January 10..
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: New Year's Eve - 12/19/2021 09:56 PM

Several places, both sides, have fireworks on NYE. As far as something somewhat different, there is usually a kind of Dutch tradition somewhere on the Dutch side on New Years Day, based on the Dutch tradition of going in the ocean on NY Day. Obviously, a much bigger deal to go in the ocean on NY in Holland, than in SXM.. smile Usually, it's either at Karakter or El Zafiro.
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: New Year's Eve - 12/20/2021 11:48 AM

Karakter, complete with soup!. Nothing Dutch about El Zafiro

Re: New Year's Eve - 12/20/2021 03:10 PM

El Zafiro did have the 'swim' or whatever you call it, a couple of years ago. Don't know whether they had Dutch food then or not.
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: New Year's Eve - 12/20/2021 03:29 PM

Perhaps, but it is annual tradition at Karakter.

Re: New Year's Eve - 12/20/2021 03:33 PM

I just remember one year, for whatever reason, they didn't have it at Karakter.
Posted By: foreversxm

Re: New Year's Eve - 12/20/2021 04:20 PM

Karakter has that Dutch Event thing were they all run into the water on News Day, I don't remember them doing anything on New Years Eve. But if you go to Mary's Boon they always have a nice dinner New Years Eve then if you go to the roof top they have a party normally with a DJ and you can see all the fireworks at Midnight. Or go to the beach and watch. Its the 3rd floor deck so you have an Amazing view and you see the Maho , Simpson Bay and even over to the French side fireworks. I saw a post that Christmas Eve they have their Traditional Carolers and Steel Pan player. We have been lucky enough to be there a few times and its a real treat and lots of holiday fun. I think in town fireworks but can be crowded. Anywhere on SXM will be fun...and warm!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline