TravelTalkOnline

Delta flight to JFK cancelled Sunday

Posted By: boucharda

Delta flight to JFK cancelled Sunday - 01/24/2022 03:56 PM

Well it was an interesting experience that ended kinda well. Sunday Delta flight to JFK delayed until 5p even though the aircraft arrived around 130p...but....went to the far east end of the airport and was greeted by an ambulance. Turns out a flight attendant got ill and the flight had to be cancelled.,

Absolutely zero communication from the ONE gate agent who was surrounded by maybe 140 passengers wanting to know what was up. No announcement other than "Flight 1886 to JFK has been cancelled"...Delta phone app crashed so that was useless...

Turns out wheels were in motion to rebook everyone on a flight today (5pm) on the aircraft that sat overnight. Wheels were in motion at Sonesta Maho Beach ALL INCLUSIVE....confusion getting bags after an hour wait....and finding THE shuttle to the hotel but all paperwork was ready on arrival....

Worked out well (assuming we get out today since we have no paperwork and the covid test is old but within the 24 hour wiggle room of a cancelled flight...Communcation at the airport would have defused the situation immensely and the poor agent wouldn't have been under siege.

Also...free drinks and decent food helped a lot....
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Delta flight to JFK cancelled Sunday - 01/24/2022 04:58 PM

OK, thanks for posting. I don't know why airlines can't figure out a little communication is a GOOD thing. Sounds like ultimately they did a good job of accommodating you. Let us know how today turns out.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Delta flight to JFK cancelled Sunday - 01/24/2022 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
OK, thanks for posting. I don't know why airlines can't figure out a little communication is a GOOD thing.

That might be asking too much.

Re: Delta flight to JFK cancelled Sunday - 01/25/2022 02:58 PM

Well it only got better on Monday (I will try to be brief) . Airport was 50 times worse than the same time on the day before (SUnday). two hours to get to the gate and our flight boarded on time at 5pm....and we sat....and sat....and learned that another Delta JFK aircraft had issues and they were gonna move passengers to our flight (where EVERYONE had already been bumped on SUnday

Three hours later after one bus every 20 minutes arrived we were ready to go...and...a landing aircraft crunched its landing gear and was stranded in the middle of the runway.....45 minutes later it was removed and the on hold circling flights had to land....

Cut to the chase and all hope of connections for anyone on board were toast and we arrived 3.5 hours after our scheduled arrival time...I will stop there but there are more issues

Still at JFK waiting to go to BOS.....fun time
Posted By: pat

Re: Delta flight to JFK cancelled Sunday - 01/25/2022 03:04 PM

Well, all that really stinks but these things can and do happen to all carriers on occasion and if you travel often enough, you’re bound to get caught at least once or twice. I hesitate to say this but what the heck - we’ve experienced similar nonsense on both AA and JB. It happens but it’s no fun when it happens to you.

Good luck on the Boston leg. That one should be easier. For your sake, I hope it is……🙂🙂

Re: Delta flight to JFK cancelled Sunday - 01/25/2022 03:05 PM

What sent me over the edge was having to pay five bucks for the aircraft wifi....REALLY?

Re: Delta flight to JFK cancelled Sunday - 01/25/2022 03:08 PM

At that point, all things - drinks, wifi, etc. - should be complimentary. It’s so often not the problem itself that sets people off but the way the airline deals with it.
Posted By: rickjames

Re: Delta flight to JFK cancelled Sunday - 01/25/2022 03:09 PM

It’s leaving right now. Getting ready to be sand blasted

Re: Delta flight to JFK cancelled Sunday - 01/25/2022 03:21 PM

Wow. That was a NON comedy of errors. I saw the article in the Daily Herald about the plane disabled on the runway. Sorry you got caught in the mess. Link to story

Re: Delta flight to JFK cancelled Sunday - 01/25/2022 04:29 PM

While waiting at JFK I just received a call from Delta stating that they would refund all flight costs for the return trip....

Re: Delta flight to JFK cancelled Sunday - 01/25/2022 04:37 PM

As well they should. Glad that at least some part of this debacle is working in your favor. Safe home the rest of the way.
Posted By: RickandJulie

Re: Delta flight to JFK cancelled Sunday - 01/25/2022 05:34 PM

That's nice. At least they stepped up.

Re: Delta flight to JFK cancelled Sunday - 01/25/2022 06:23 PM

Glad to hear that Boucharda. Hope you get home, finally!
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Delta flight to JFK cancelled Sunday - 01/25/2022 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by boucharda
While waiting at JFK I just received a call from Delta stating that they would refund all flight costs for the return trip....

More airlines should do that too.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline