TravelTalkOnline

Orient Beach Recovery Photos

Posted By: Muffinmn58

Orient Beach Recovery Photos - 01/26/2022 02:01 PM

We are heading back to SXM in a few weeks for the first time since 2017. Staying on Orient Beach and would like to see some photos of how the beach has rebuilt (or not) since Irma. I know that Club O was destroyed, but what does it look like today? etc.

Is there a place that I can go or do folks have some photos that they can share? Any drone footage?

Thanks

Jim
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Orient Beach Recovery Photos - 01/26/2022 02:14 PM

Club O itself looks basically the same as it has for approximately the past two years or so. Most of the buildings are theoretically still there, but they are shells of buildings, not usable, which will have to be razed if/when they ever are able to rebuild. Papagayo was kind of falling into the ocean, the last I saw. The Perch was rebuilt, smaller and further toward where Pedro's used to be, and is open and serving food. As you should know, getting pictures in that area is quite problematic. There is no Pedro's at all. The "carbets", the smaller restaurants in the general area of where Baywatch used to be, I think are all reopened and serving food now. The bigger restaurants, like Bikini, etc., are all rebuilt beautifully, although many have moved around to a different place on the beach. I'm not sure anyone has posted a compilation, like you are looking for, but would be interested frankly in seeing it myself.
Posted By: BarleyMan

Re: Orient Beach Recovery Photos - 01/26/2022 03:12 PM

Google maps has a few of some of the area. Taken in April 2021. https://goo.gl/maps/XFAx5fd8mZP7tkg9A
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: Orient Beach Recovery Photos - 01/26/2022 03:27 PM

Taken last week...

Attached picture 57E0B3BB-DC79-4AA8-B986-19F49AF7E93B.jpeg

Re: Orient Beach Recovery Photos - 01/26/2022 03:32 PM

Martini--I think the original poster is looking for pictures of buildings..

Re: Orient Beach Recovery Photos - 01/26/2022 03:34 PM

Barleyman--thanks for the link. SOME of those pictures there are old though.
Posted By: bdeeley

Re: Orient Beach Recovery Photos - 01/26/2022 03:52 PM

If you follow the link below, it will take you to a public Facebook page, and if you scroll through the timeline then you will see many current pictures. There are many public pages like this with pictures.

Orient Bay Facebook page
Posted By: Colour1

Re: Orient Beach Recovery Photos - 01/28/2022 11:49 AM

I will say this, the last two two trips, it is starting to feel a lot like it use to be. But sadly all those little hut shops are gone. Only one or two were doing free chairs with lunch. We paid for chairs at Kontiki, ( first time in 20 years) and I didn't mind, after Irma and then the shut down. They need every dime they can get!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline