TravelTalkOnline

Parking at beaches around the island

Posted By: Liliana

Parking at beaches around the island - 02/16/2022 03:40 PM

So, now we will have a car for our trip. Is parking free at most beaches? Is it safe or like Hawaii where it is common to get broken into?
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Parking at beaches around the island - 02/16/2022 03:56 PM

Its safe and free but dont leave nothing in the car period.
Posted By: pat

Re: Parking at beaches around the island - 02/16/2022 03:56 PM

Beach parking, if you can find it, is mostly free. Some beaches parking is easy and some places it’s almost impossible to find. Car break-ins at beaches is a very common occurrence and the customary rule is leave nothing you value anywhere in your car, even when left securely locked.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Parking at beaches around the island - 02/16/2022 04:17 PM

Only beach I've ever had a hard time parking was at Karackters. Otherwise no problems. Just be sure not to leave anything in car and keep it locked. I've never been broken into in the over 20 years on island but it can happen. I've also had my vehicle stolen once and broken into 3 times in my home town so I feel St Maarten is safer than home for me.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Parking at beaches around the island - 02/16/2022 05:15 PM

Scubaman--Karakter is difficult to park at when they have music in the evening, but I think someone posted here that they have a new parking system, where they basically park everyone now, so you don't get parked in? The only other place where I have had trouble parking is Mullet, if you're trying to go later in the day or on the weekend. To the original poster, do NOT try to go to Mullet on the weekend, as it is often jam packed then and you could get parked in.

Pat--when you say parking is "mostly" free, I don't recall EVER paying to park on a beach in SXM. Where have you paid to park on SXM at a beach?

On Orient, there is plenty of parking everywhere, except sometimes at Club O beach, if you come after 10:30 or so, you may have to park a bit of a ways away and walk down the beach. For other restaurants and beach clubs along Orient, there is always enough parking.

The road to get to Friars Bay is very bumpy-- think "cow pasture".

But I reiterate was most everyone else has said--do not EVER leave ANYTHING in your car, at ANY time, at ANY place. Period.
Posted By: pat

Re: Parking at beaches around the island - 02/16/2022 06:00 PM

Carol,

Not paid parking in the sense of meters or a parking attendant and I haven’t been there lately but a few years back I thought we were asked to pay at Baie Rouge and once in Grand Case at the actual parking lot on our way to Calmos and the beach before Irma took her toll, but perhaps that was then and this is now.
With regard to Mullet, if you go early - even on the weekends - you can usually back into the rocks at the first row of cars in the parking area and we’ve always been able to get out but I wouldn’t park anywhere else in that lot on a weekend.

With regard to beach parking car break-ins, we’ve made probably at the very least 75 to 85 trips to the island over our almost 50 years of annual visits and beaching is our usual activity, spending most of those days at Mullet Bay. We had never had an issue with a car break-in until just a few years ago when we got there midday and parked in the very back of the lot towards the golf course. The thing that really pi$$ed me off was we had followed the suggestions of leaving nothing in the car and locking it securely as we always did.

This time, the creeps who broke into it damaged both the power door locks and the trunk lock and all for nothing. We always rent from a Lesley Bruce aka Kenny’s and he came right away with a new car for us and had to have his car flat-bedded away to be repaired. He was great about it with us and wouldn’t accept anything from us towards the damage repairs which I’m sure were
considerable. That was the first and THE LAST time we parked anywhere but in that first row by the rocks.
Posted By: mahokid

Re: Parking at beaches around the island - 02/16/2022 06:08 PM

With regards to the parking at Baie Rouge the guys would ask for money to watch your car.
The same for the free lot in Grand Case near Le Pressior, guy "charging" $5.00 to park.
Just tell him it's a free lot, never any damage to car at either place without paying guys to watch car

Re: Parking at beaches around the island - 02/16/2022 06:13 PM

Also the same request to watch your car at the lot next to the Marigot Marina.
Posted By: EdB

Re: Parking at beaches around the island - 02/16/2022 08:28 PM

I was suggested years ago, when at the beach, keep the car UNLOCKED, and windows down if possible. This way, if it is ''broken into'', there won't be any damage to the lock, and an upcharge later for broken locks. If they want to get in, a locked door will NOT stop them.

Re: Parking at beaches around the island - 02/16/2022 10:18 PM

I beleive that voids the insurance.
Posted By: Bigdaddy

Re: Parking at beaches around the island - 02/17/2022 07:43 PM

EdB is right...don't lock the car but if it's stolen tell them you had it locked.

Re: Parking at beaches around the island - 02/17/2022 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bigdaddy
EdB is right...don't lock the car but if it's stolen tell them you had it locked.

Bad advise.
Posted By: kim

Re: Parking at beaches around the island - 02/17/2022 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by EdB
I was suggested years ago, when at the beach, keep the car UNLOCKED, and windows down if possible. This way, if it is ''broken into'', there won't be any damage to the lock, and an upcharge later for broken locks. If they want to get in, a locked door will NOT stop them.

Lesley - what is your thought on this? I would think it voids any insurance.
Posted By: KGB

Re: Parking at beaches around the island - 02/17/2022 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by SXMScubaman

Oh common man, give this poor bugger a dollar or two! He has been there for many years now and that is how he makes a living… He is very polite and not aggressive at all. $2 won’t hurt your wallet….
Posted By: kim

Re: Parking at beaches around the island - 02/18/2022 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by KGB
Originally Posted by SXMScubaman

Oh common man, give this poor bugger a dollar or two! He has been there for many years now and that is how he makes a living… He is very polite and not aggressive at all. $2 won’t hurt your wallet….

Pretty sure he passed away a few years ago.

Re: Parking at beaches around the island - 02/18/2022 03:29 AM

Thanks Carol and others.
Liliana
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Parking at beaches around the island - 02/18/2022 01:20 PM

Always lock the car.

Re: Parking at beaches around the island - 02/18/2022 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Kennys
Always lock the car.

Good advise.
Posted By: pony600

Re: Parking at beaches around the island - 02/18/2022 07:15 PM

We always asked whomever we were renting from whether to lock or unlock. The answer has always been to lock.
We have been asked to pay at Baie Rouge as well.

Re: Parking at beaches around the island - 02/18/2022 08:49 PM

Thank you!
Liliana
Posted By: Joecool

Re: Parking at beaches around the island - 02/18/2022 10:07 PM

In all the years I have been going to Baie Rouge, I have never been approached to pay for watching my car and always just parked the car then went on to the beach. I always locked my doors and never had a problem.

Re: Parking at beaches around the island - 02/18/2022 11:21 PM

I've been approached and paid there before.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline