TravelTalkOnline

cell phones

Posted By: RonDon

cell phones - 02/17/2022 02:14 PM

T Mobil with 4G will no longer work within a week. Verizon has until Dec 31. So update to 5G
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: cell phones - 02/17/2022 02:19 PM

I assume you are talking about on island?? Somehow I doubt that. I actually have not heard that with regard to service in the US either. Where did you hear this?
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: cell phones - 02/17/2022 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by RonDon
T Mobil with 4G will no longer work within a week. Verizon has until Dec 31. So update to 5G

Where did you get that information? I don't think your dates are 100% accurate with regard to the 4G thing. Can you provide a link?
Posted By: Eric_Hill

Re: cell phones - 02/17/2022 02:27 PM

T-Mobile is going to reduce 4g but not verizon. There is a difference between 4g and 4g LTE, which is now the common 4g service. Verizon 4g LTE is going to be around for a long time yet.

Link to 2/3/4G service

Re: cell phones - 02/17/2022 02:29 PM

No Carol I'm speaking about in the USA (perhaps I shouldn't have posted it here).

Any 4G phone will stop working so you MUST upgrade to 5G. It ws announced on the news this morning but I didn't get all the projected dates. I remembered T Mobil slated for next week. I had already received notice from Verizon that I had until Dec 31.

Yesterday at Target they were removing all LINK 11 phones associated with Consumer Cellular service.

Re: cell phones - 02/17/2022 02:31 PM

Rosemary--look at the link that Eric posted. 5 G is not even AVAILABLE in our area.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: cell phones - 02/17/2022 02:37 PM

You are incorrect.

Re: cell phones - 02/17/2022 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by ruralcarrier
You are incorrect.

National news is then because I only panicked and thought I'd post it here incase someone using T Mobil was going to SXM next week and found their phone not working before going or upon return.

Eric Hill's link is from 2021 and so I don't know if the national news was posting an update.

I apologize for trying to help!
Posted By: boucharda

Re: cell phones - 02/17/2022 02:41 PM

If you have an old 3G phone you will have to upgrade. If you have a 4G LTE phone it will continue to have service for another decade. If you haven't heard from your phone service that your phone will be kaput then it won't be...

What cell phones will not work in 2022?
Some tracfones, flip phones, Jitterbugs and even older-style smartphones will no longer be able to make calls once the networks are taken down. Most of these phones, which are sometimes called “third generation” phones were launched nearly 20 years ago and will no longer work with most of the carriers in 2022

Article from last year...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2021/09/30/3g-networks-ending/

Re: cell phones - 02/17/2022 02:48 PM

Locking this one here, as the original statement is incorrect.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline