TravelTalkOnline

Toppers Rhum won best Rum

Posted By: Kennys

Toppers Rhum won best Rum - 02/28/2022 12:30 PM

Hello Folks , Toppers Rhum wins best Caribbean Rum Distillery. Daily Herald .
Posted By: foreversxm

Re: Toppers Rhum won best Rum - 03/01/2022 06:42 PM

Not surprised they "won" .....they had a huge get out the PR vote push. It is kind of good but do they really make it from scratch? Or just add some sort of flavoring ?

Re: Toppers Rhum won best Rum - 03/01/2022 08:32 PM

Good question ? And not my kind of booze lol.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Toppers Rhum won best Rum - 03/01/2022 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by foreversxm
Not surprised they "won" .....they had a huge get out the PR vote push. It is kind of good but do they really make it from scratch? Or just add some sort of flavoring ?

From what I recall, they purchase rum in bulk and flavor it on the island. Perhaps someone with more knowledge can verify.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Toppers Rhum won best Rum - 03/01/2022 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by ruralcarrier
Originally Posted by foreversxm

From what I recall, they purchase rum in bulk and flavor it on the island. Perhaps someone with more knowledge can verify.

That is what I understood from years past. Not sure about present.
Posted By: CanuckTravlr

Re: Toppers Rhum won best Rum - 03/01/2022 08:54 PM

That is my understanding, too, in talking to locals. I don't believe there are any rum distilleries on the island, since there is no sugar cane grown. Instead, they add various flavours and spices to the imported rum and bottle it with their own brand names.

I also suspect it's cheaper to ship in the distilled rum than the raw sugar cane to produce it, but that is just a guess on my part.

Re: Toppers Rhum won best Rum - 03/01/2022 09:15 PM

"I also suspect it's cheaper to ship in the distilled rum than the raw sugar cane to produce it, but that is just a guess on my part."
What other islands and countries do to distill their rum that don't grow sugar cane is to import the Molasses to distill from other cane producing countries. That could also be what Topper is doing.
Posted By: CaribLee

Re: Toppers Rhum won best Rum - 03/01/2022 10:11 PM

Was at Hilton Head Island, SC recently and stopped at an outdoor bar for some liquid refreshment. While looking at the drink menu, I noticed they had three different flavors of Topper's Rhum from Sint Maarten. I think his business partner is from Charleston. Small world.

Re: Toppers Rhum won best Rum - 03/01/2022 11:38 PM

The rich Family that lost a brother in Cupecoy are the ones with the money .
Posted By: mort

Re: Toppers Rhum won best Rum - 03/01/2022 11:44 PM

We buy ma dou dou
Posted By: Liliana

Re: Toppers Rhum won best Rum - 03/02/2022 12:26 AM

We buy this Rhum all the time at Total Wine and Spirits here in Florida. The Mocha Momma is so good and smooth. At parties we offer shots and people aren't sure so they say "just a taste". 4 shots later we have to cut them all off.
Liliana
Posted By: Colour1

Re: Toppers Rhum won best Rum - 03/04/2022 11:52 AM

The ladies that own Ma Dou Dou showed us how they make the infused rums and spices. It's all home had with gallons of Bacardi rum! It's a cute place, they are lovely. They have my business. http://www.rhummadoudou.com/shop/infos.php
Posted By: WLE

Re: Toppers Rhum won best Rum - 03/04/2022 04:00 PM

I been to Salegua distillery, the only one on the island. To find where it;s located, if you are coming off Air Port road and going to Mary's Boone turn right on the first road and it will be on the left side of the rough street, the whole opperation is there. If you can't find the place ask at Ace car rental, last I knew the owner was in the car rental business also.
I've been to Topper's and they were just flavoring and coloring the rum.
Posted By: Liliana

Re: Toppers Rhum won best Rum - 03/04/2022 04:56 PM

Toppers website claims to distill the rhum on St Maarten. Not just flavor it.

Ma Dou Dou claims to bring it in from another French Island and flavor it on St Martin.

Which is true?

Re: Toppers Rhum won best Rum - 03/04/2022 06:43 PM

"Topper’s Rhum uses all natural flavors that are characteristic of the tropics. We blend these with our premium Caribbean rhum to create a delicate and true-to-it’s-flavor spirit with an undeniably smooth finish."

I would be surprised if they distilled their own rhum. More likely that they have someone make it for them and then flavor it....but that is just a guess.
Posted By: bdeeley

Re: Toppers Rhum won best Rum - 03/04/2022 07:12 PM

Topper's is a distillery. and the rhum is made right there in their facility. Below is a little piece about their facility. If you would like more information just let me know.

"A knowledgeable guide will give you a hands-on tour
as you walk through the 6,000 sq. Ft. distillery.
You will learn a little rum history and behind the scenes
look at how they ferment, distill, and filter rum."

Re: Toppers Rhum won best Rum - 03/04/2022 07:26 PM

Yes. Where are they importing the cane or Molasses from to make the rum?

Re: Toppers Rhum won best Rum - 03/04/2022 08:19 PM

Good to know.
Posted By: FatCat04

Re: Toppers Rhum won best Rum - 03/05/2022 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by mort
We buy ma dou dou

Yeah buddy! We have two bottle in the fridge from our recent trip. Like the banana vanilla chilled... over real vanilla ice cream if we have it.

Re: Toppers Rhum won best Rum - 03/05/2022 12:00 PM

Really can't say !

Re: Toppers Rhum won best Rum - 03/05/2022 03:12 PM

Banana vanilla is our favorite as well.
Posted By: Colour1

Re: Toppers Rhum won best Rum - 03/06/2022 10:34 AM

We went to the Ma Dou Dou lil operation ( it's a cute little house) , the gal's that own it gave us a tour. Inside you'll find all the spices they grow and bottle as well as all the flavors of there rum. Out back you'll find all the blending of the rum with gallons of Bacardi rum that foments in the sun before being bottled in the hand painted bottles that are truly a work of art!!

Re: Toppers Rhum won best Rum - 03/06/2022 03:45 PM

I did that a few years back before Irma. Nice little operation. Tasted a few too.
Posted By: WLE

Re: Toppers Rhum won best Rum - 03/08/2022 04:06 PM

bdeeley, -- Go to Salegua distillery and see what a real one looks like. We listened to the so called "knowledgeable guide" at Toppers, but there wasn't a real distillery there.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline