TravelTalkOnline

Iguana "Drop's" In For Lunch At Julliettes

Posted By: Whale Tail

Iguana "Drop's" In For Lunch At Julliettes - 03/29/2022 08:56 PM

We were having lunch on the patio and the waitress sweeping at the other end let out a scream and left the property to stand on the road. The iguana fell off the roof (2 stories high)and almost hit her. I new he fell off the roof because his buddy was starring down from the gutter no doubt wondering where his friend went. He then headed up the stairs to dine inside but they closed the door on him. I guess he didn't have reservations. He then headed to the server station and eventually settled for a chair on the side patio. Only in St Maarten.

Attached picture 20220329_131007.jpg
Attached picture 20220329_131603.jpg
Posted By: mahokid

Re: Iguana "Drop's" In For Lunch At Julliettes - 03/29/2022 10:02 PM

Funny thought.
My wife is deathly afraid of snakes, mice, centipedes, etc.
She loves iguanas.
I have a picture of here at Pinel with several big ones sitting on her eating out of her hand.

We were told by our upcoming villa agent not to leave vegetation out of the open air kitchen or you will have green visitors.
My guess is that she will be feeing them.
I think we visit La Sucriere for the iguanas as much as the pastries.
Posted By: FatCat04

Re: Iguana "Drop's" In For Lunch At Julliettes - 03/30/2022 04:22 AM

As someone very familiar with the culture of South Florida, "Chicken of the Trees" is also a name for these very cute yet yummy critters. Iguana tacos are good. (Feeling very guilty as one of my best friends has a pet iguana "Buddy", but hey, I have had pet chickens "Elvis and Priscilla" so.. Elvis was a gorgeous RIR rooster)
Posted By: RonDon

Re: Iguana "Drop's" In For Lunch At Julliettes - 03/30/2022 10:38 AM

Did you feed him some lettuce?
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Iguana "Drop's" In For Lunch At Julliettes - 03/30/2022 01:06 PM

FatCat--around here in Central Florida, we have iguanas falling out to trees if we have cold snaps! Although I can't say I've ever had iguana myself. I personally don't care for them. One time at Beachside, we had one that somehow got himself stuck between our slider and the screen and had to have one of the guys there come get him out. Nasty buggers!!
Posted By: pat

Re: Iguana "Drop's" In For Lunch At Julliettes - 03/30/2022 01:26 PM

Funny memory, Carol. I'm not a major fan of iguanas either although my daughter has one that visits almost on her lanai when she's on island though the bigger it gets, the more she tries to discourage it's visits. It's huge and she often posts photos of it running along the wall in the back of her property. It's bigger than some of the dogs in our family.......

We had a huge one that snuck into our BSV unit last November and scared the be-je-sus out of me. It apparently came in under the front door unseen until it revealed itself while scurrying back and forth across the white tiled floor. IMHO it was at least a foot long but DH - who ultimately got it to exit the premises - said it was more like 3-4 inches. He said there was no reason for me to yell like that and made me get down from where I was standing on the sofa.

I'm just not a creature type person. smile smile
Posted By: Bluesfan

Re: Iguana "Drop's" In For Lunch At Julliettes - 03/30/2022 04:30 PM

In March I was driving on Welfare Rd. I saw a dog chase down a 2 foot long iguana and carry it off into a yard. Dinner.

Re: Iguana "Drop's" In For Lunch At Julliettes - 03/30/2022 06:46 PM

Pat--now 3 to 4 inches, I would say was a GECKO, which I'm just fine with geckos. We have them all over here. I wouldn't think an iguana could squeeze under the door???? Glad your hero was able to shoo it out though. smile
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Iguana "Drop's" In For Lunch At Julliettes - 03/30/2022 07:19 PM

We had a Gecko that took up residence in our unit at Flamingo for 2 weeks last May. Would show up at different times of day but kept it's distance from us. Didn't see any bugs in our room for the whole time there.

Re: Iguana "Drop's" In For Lunch At Julliettes - 03/30/2022 07:36 PM

Yup, I like geckos, for that reason.
Posted By: Kathleen

Re: Iguana "Drop's" In For Lunch At Julliettes - 03/31/2022 07:03 PM

and I hear they offer pretty good insurance deals...

Re: Iguana "Drop's" In For Lunch At Julliettes - 03/31/2022 07:04 PM

Kathleen--laugh Don't know, I never checked with them for insurance.

Re: Iguana "Drop's" In For Lunch At Julliettes - 04/03/2022 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by Kathleen
and I hear they offer pretty good insurance deals...

They do. That cute little booger has been my "insurance agent" for years now LOL!!

Re: Iguana "Drop's" In For Lunch At Julliettes - 04/03/2022 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
FatCat--around here in Central Florida, we have iguanas falling out to trees if we have cold snaps! Although I can't say I've ever had iguana myself. I personally don't care for them. One time at Beachside, we had one that somehow got himself stuck between our slider and the screen and had to have one of the guys there come get him out. Nasty buggers!!

Oh Carol, my sisters both live in S FL and yes, the stories they tell of finding these catatonic lizards on their property. It's a hoot. Though they have never cooked one up but their doggies might have enjoyed one or two from time to time. I had the iguana tacos in Mexico many many many moons ago when I was young and very foolish but they were good.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline