TravelTalkOnline

Walk Down Beacon Hill Road / Shipwreck

Posted By: Whale Tail

Walk Down Beacon Hill Road / Shipwreck - 04/06/2022 11:37 AM

We took a walk down Beacon Hill road and found an empty lot close to the shipwreck. You would think that the owners of this would still be responsible to clean up their mess.

Attached picture 20220405_120206.jpg
Attached picture 20220405_120149.jpg
Attached picture 20220405_120149_resized.jpg
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Walk Down Beacon Hill Road / Shipwreck - 04/06/2022 11:53 AM

It was a debacle and $hitshow from the beginning. Owner leased it to some people, now nobody has any $$ for cleanup. We watched them working on it several years ago, it had disaster written all over it then.
Posted By: SXMBND

Re: Walk Down Beacon Hill Road / Shipwreck - 04/06/2022 12:16 PM

It's still afloat I don't know why it can't just be towed to a salvage yard for the scrap.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Walk Down Beacon Hill Road / Shipwreck - 04/06/2022 12:22 PM

It is stuck on the rocks, not sure it would float.
Posted By: Whale Tail

Re: Walk Down Beacon Hill Road / Shipwreck - 04/06/2022 12:24 PM

I think it's more perched on the rocks than afloat. I think if it was pulled off the rocks it would sink.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Walk Down Beacon Hill Road / Shipwreck - 04/06/2022 01:02 PM

A while ago, there was a story in the Daily Herald, talking about this situation. I cannot remember exactly the particulars, but it was something like that the people who operated the boat in SXM leased it supposedly from another company. However, the other company didn't actually exist, something to that effect! crazy So, no "owners" to hold liable. And the legal mechanism which they have used to clear away abandoned shipwrecks in the lagoon doesn't work in this situation, because duh, it's not in the lagoon, but on Simpson Bay.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Walk Down Beacon Hill Road / Shipwreck - 04/06/2022 02:59 PM

To bad it won't float. Would made a great dive site if it could be towed out and sunk.
Posted By: foreversxm

Re: Walk Down Beacon Hill Road / Shipwreck - 04/08/2022 11:55 PM

Its a disaster waiting to happen. Next hurricane and it could end in the living room at Beachside Villas or El Zaphro. Oddly , I think the owner is still on Island doing business as nothing happened or cares. Really dangerous and ugly.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline