TravelTalkOnline

Spirit to SXM?

Posted By: DRich

Spirit to SXM? - 05/10/2022 11:22 PM

Has anyone here flown Spirit to SXM? Jetblue cancelled our flight out of FLL and after lots of back and forth they booked us on Spirit.

I Know most Spirit flights are packed and uncomfortable but we didn't have any other options without paying and going to a different airport.
Posted By: zeus1963

Re: Spirit to SXM? - 05/10/2022 11:25 PM

I have done it in the past but my last actual flight I had to spend an extra night in Fort Lauderdale because they screwed up and last flight I booked was cancelled by them forcing me to scramble. Personally I would look to American or delta if they are options
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Spirit to SXM? - 05/11/2022 12:05 AM

Drich--how much more would you have to pay to book AA all the way? If it's not more than $100 a person, I would do it. Spirit is very unreliable, and if they end up cancelling on you or something else happens, they do NOT cooperate with any other airlines, and they will say your only choice is to fly a week later, as they only fly on Saturday. Or buy a last minute ticket on another airline.

I have flown Spirit several times in the past, and they actually did deliver me where I was supposed to be, including to SXM, MANY years ago, and to St. Thomas, also many years ago. I have also used them a few times within the US. Their seats are uncomfortable, you have to pay for seats, bags, etc. All of that is a given. But the thought that a trip to SXM could be blown up and totally destroyed by not being able to get to SXM until a week later than I planned, I just can't deal with, at this point. Your mileage may vary.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Spirit to SXM? - 05/11/2022 03:00 AM

Be sure and carry ductape with you. Lol

Re: Spirit to SXM? - 05/11/2022 02:11 PM

Carol, if I changed airlines I would have to pay full price. I bought my Jetblue tickets with miles/points and they moved me to Spirit. If i was to change airlines I would get my Jetblue miles/points back but would have to pay full price on another airline. My only cost using the miles/points was around $80 for the international departure taxes. Also, I would have to go out of Miami instead of FLL and we already have our hotel set for FLL.

Re: Spirit to SXM? - 05/11/2022 02:38 PM

I have a bunch of d*mn Jet Blue points back from when they cancelled our flight out of FLL, so I understand you not wanting to do that. I just hope I will be able to use those points on AA eventually. Best wishes. I hope everything goes OK with your flight.
Posted By: mgh

Re: Spirit to SXM? - 05/11/2022 03:36 PM

I flew to SXM on Spirit from MSP (via FLL) a few years ago and vowed NEVER to fly with them again. We got there and back but there were lots of delays and nearly missed our connecting flight in FLL on the way back (after a 3 hour layover too)! They kept changing gates on us which added to the frustration.
Posted By: irina

Re: Spirit to SXM? - 05/11/2022 04:35 PM

I flew them and they stranded me on STT. Had to get another flight to SXM. Just sat there on the curb with my stuff. Stranded.
Posted By: bluejacket

Re: Spirit to SXM? - 05/11/2022 05:00 PM

We had an awful experience getting to SXM on Spirit and, echoing mgh, vowed never to fly with them again.

Re: Spirit to SXM? - 05/11/2022 09:33 PM

Gee, thanks for all the positive feedback. Hopefully our trip is somehow smoother than everybody else's.

Re: Spirit to SXM? - 05/11/2022 11:17 PM

Drich--Yes, I do wish your trip is smoother..
Posted By: Bahston

Re: Spirit to SXM? - 05/12/2022 01:28 AM

I was going to say, let the beatings continue until the OP changes his mind, LOL.

I'm sure that the OP has made an informed decision. I know a few people who choose to fly Spirit, and they are well aware of what to expect.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline