TravelTalkOnline

Chippie Phone Question

Posted By: CaribLee

Chippie Phone Question - 07/19/2022 11:50 PM

Had a chippie sim card put in an old phone when I was last in St. Maarten. I have the app that allows me to top up. When in the US, how can I check to see what my balance is and the date my number expires? Thanks for any help.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Chippie Phone Question - 07/20/2022 01:14 AM

Try the link below.

LINK

Re: Chippie Phone Question - 07/20/2022 02:40 AM

Thanks for the link. When I plug in my phone number, it says there is no transaction in the last 60 days. This is not correct as I did a top up on May 23 and again today. Perhaps it is because I used the chippie mobile app to top up rather than this website. FWIW when I did the top up on May 23 (while in St. Maarten), I know it went through because the additional money showed up when checking my account and the expiration date was extended. I also have a screen shot of the receipt from May 23.
Posted By: lee614

Re: Chippie Phone Question - 07/20/2022 03:25 AM

Side note: If you get Google Fi phone service. it works internationally . I think no extra cost for calls. (I pay per Mb for data)
Posted By: FatCat04

Re: Chippie Phone Question - 07/20/2022 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by lee614
Side note: If you get Google Fi phone service. it works internationally . I think no extra cost for calls. (I pay per Mb for data)

We have used it in Europe and St Maarten/Martin without issue. Service at home in the US is good too. Very happy.

Re: Chippie Phone Question - 07/20/2022 11:31 AM

I have no idea how the mobile app works but I can check mine via the regular site.

Re: Chippie Phone Question - 07/22/2022 01:17 PM

The chippie app actually had a support icon that allowed me to send a message asking how I could access this info while in the US. I received a prompt response telling me my balance and expiration date. Good to know I can access this info this way.

Re: Chippie Phone Question - 07/22/2022 02:36 PM

Good deal.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Chippie Phone Question - 07/22/2022 04:54 PM

Thanks for that info CaribLee. I've always used the website as well to keep renewing my number or to top-up. Good to know I can get an app.
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: Chippie Phone Question - 07/22/2022 07:12 PM

Just downloaded the app. Thanks much for the info!
Posted By: jmbcomms

Re: Chippie Phone Question - 07/24/2022 01:41 AM

Easier to set up automatic monthly payments with Chippie; I do that with $10/month, then you don't have to think about it. smile
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Chippie Phone Question - 07/24/2022 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by jmbcomms
Easier to set up automatic monthly payments with Chippie; I do that with $10/month, then you don't have to think about it. smile

works if you're there enough to make it pay. But for 120 a year most people can do better.

Re: Chippie Phone Question - 07/24/2022 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by jmbcomms

Calendar reminders to top up every 60 days work fine for me. No $$ required.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Chippie Phone Question - 07/24/2022 12:11 PM

Linda--that's what we do. Although the last couple of trips we barely used it, as we just used wifi calling most of the time.

Re: Chippie Phone Question - 07/24/2022 12:16 PM

Same here.

Re: Chippie Phone Question - 07/24/2022 12:17 PM

I use it primarily to make local calls while on the island.....mainly for dinner reservations and such.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Chippie Phone Question - 07/24/2022 12:30 PM

CaribLee--I think we used the local phone just once to make a reservation last trip. We basically don't make reservations anywhere, unless it is very specific., as it's usually just the two of us and we generally travel off season and eat fairly early.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Chippie Phone Question - 07/24/2022 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by CaribLee
I use it primarily to make local calls while on the island.....mainly for dinner reservations and such.

We use WIFI calling with WhatsApp for reservations at restaurants and beach bars. Works great as most places have a WhatsApp number for calls and texting.

Re: Chippie Phone Question - 07/24/2022 07:07 PM

I don't make many calls, but I do use wi-fi a lot for posting pictures to Facebook and such. Nice not having to find out passwords each time I go to a new place.
Posted By: Mikel

Re: Chippie Phone Question - 07/24/2022 11:04 PM

I might be a little old fashioned, but I use mine for two primary reasons. I know what time it is and if I break down on the road, I just use it to call for assistance. It fits in my pocket better than my US cell phone. I also use it for local calls and an occasional text. Well worth the $1 that I add to it every 60 days and have had the same phone number for many years which my SXM friends all know.
Posted By: kim

Re: Chippie Phone Question - 07/24/2022 11:38 PM

I utilize the “E-sim” on my iPhone with my US number and have the “chip” installed as my sxm number. To check balance it’s just #191#. I add 1.00 every 60 days then then turn back off. Super easy

Attached picture 407DCAAB-6B0A-4A74-A14A-B50E5A9766DF.jpeg

Re: Chippie Phone Question - 07/25/2022 12:37 PM

The chippie sites I find require a $10 minimum top up. Where can I go to just add a $1 top up? Thanks.

Re: Chippie Phone Question - 07/25/2022 12:54 PM

The link I furnished will allow $1 top up. This is allowed when using the reloadable top up card.

Re: Chippie Phone Question - 07/25/2022 01:20 PM

Excuse my ignorance but I assume I need to buy the reloadable top up card while on the island (will be there in 10 days). Then I come back to that linked website to set up an account and use the top up card. Am I close?

Re: Chippie Phone Question - 07/25/2022 01:33 PM

I got mine at one of the Chippie stores but it was several years ago and they were hard to find then. You might try the "Contact US" link from the site I referenced and see if they can help you. I am not sure how up to date the site is but I would personally try Tech Hub in the Carrefour grocery on Bush Road. It is similar to a credit card and looks similar to the one pictured on the site.

You are close IF you can find the card.

Good luck.

Re: Chippie Phone Question - 07/25/2022 01:49 PM

Thanks for the info.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Chippie Phone Question - 07/25/2022 03:57 PM

I'm searching in the App store and must not be looking properly.

What is the exact name and a pic of the icon would be great! wink

Re: Chippie Phone Question - 07/25/2022 04:22 PM

Looks like this.

Attached picture Screenshot_20220725-121839_One UI Home.jpg
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline