TravelTalkOnline

Cash vs. Credit Card

Posted By: CathyandDanny

Cash vs. Credit Card - 07/31/2022 09:36 PM

We are preparing for our two week trip to SXM soon! We used to go to the island 2x a year but have not been since 2016 (pre-Irma). My question is .... what do you pay cash for and what do you feel comfortable using a credit card for. We have no exchange fees with our credit card so that is not an issue. Thanks for your insight!
Posted By: eightzerobits

Re: Cash vs. Credit Card - 07/31/2022 10:24 PM

I use a card for anything I can and only carry cash as a backup for places that don’t take cards. Same approach as at home.
Posted By: erb923

Re: Cash vs. Credit Card - 07/31/2022 10:56 PM

Used to be use cash at some places that offer $1=€1 when it was a good deal to pay with USD, not anymore! Some select places might take cash only but otherwise card is good (some places don't take AMEX).
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Cash vs. Credit Card - 07/31/2022 11:49 PM

If the business accepts credit cards, I feel comfortable using them on SXM. As someone else mentioned, AMEX is often not accepted, mostly M/C and Visa.
Posted By: pat

Re: Cash vs. Credit Card - 08/01/2022 12:56 AM

Many of the smaller beachside places don’t take cc’s, like Rosies as of our last time there - and I know Friars Bay Beach Cafe doesn’t - but for the most part we use our cc’s everywhere they’re accepted which includes most of the better restaurants. Gotta’ rack up those air mile points when you can. 😊😊
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Cash vs. Credit Card - 08/01/2022 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by eightzerobits
I use a card for anything I can and only carry cash as a backup for places that don’t take cards. Same approach as at home.

Same here. FF miles with AA add up. I only use cash if there is an upcharge using a cc.
Posted By: bizzottom

Re: Cash vs. Credit Card - 08/01/2022 11:02 AM

exactly Scuba....i use my capital one venture x on everything that i can and tip waiter staff with cash....miles, miles, miles
Posted By: CathyandDanny

Re: Cash vs. Credit Card - 08/01/2022 12:48 PM

Thank you!
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Cash vs. Credit Card - 08/02/2022 11:45 AM

We also use a credit card wherever we can, but always have enough cash for the day, just in case the internet is down, which happens. Also, when on the French side, ask that the charge be put through in euros, so that you get the current exchange rate. Some establishments have their own exchange rate, which is often higher than the official one.
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Cash vs. Credit Card - 08/02/2022 01:38 PM

I was in the lab yesterday getting some tests done and Bill had to run home for cash because the internet was down so no CC transactions. It happens.
Posted By: CaribLee

Re: Cash vs. Credit Card - 08/02/2022 02:53 PM

Same here. Always take enough cash to pay for my meal in case there is a credit card issue. Otherwise, I use the card.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline