TravelTalkOnline

Local Carribean culture- Haiti

Posted By: the captain

Local Carribean culture- Haiti - 08/15/2022 12:39 AM

Like you all, we love St Maarten. As I write this, I am listening to my ancestors Haitian music, aka, Compa/kompa.

While I’m HaitianAmerican and love my culture and upbringing, the last time I was in Haiti was 1980. And I’d love to expose my family to their roots but it’s too dangerous so SXM serves that purpose.

Looking for a more local slant on places and advice to see next time with my family with an emphasis on Haitian /indigenous Carribean music and food. Griot!!! Represent!
Posted By: cruzer

Re: Local Carribean culture- Haiti - 08/15/2022 10:44 AM

My only island experience with Haitian cuisine is Griot, piklez, and banan peze at Hercule Resto Creole in Cul-de-Sac. One of my favorite island meals every trip. They used to have a band on Sundays, but I'm not too sure about music these days.
Posted By: IslandBoi

Re: Local Carribean culture- Haiti - 08/15/2022 02:56 PM

personally, i don’t feel much of an indigenous caribbean vibe (food, music, culture, etc) while in SXM…not saying that’s a good or bad thing…if you’re looking for a true “Toto, I’ve a feeling we’re not in Kansas anymore” feeling, maybe check out Trinidad…but crime is somewhat of an issue

we like Barbados quite a lot, and it definitely has more of a true caribbean vibe to it vs SXM
Posted By: mslish

Re: Local Carribean culture- Haiti - 08/16/2022 05:36 AM

During a recent trip we enjoyed takeout from Villa Royale restaurant in Grand Case. I believe one of the owners is Haitian. To us it felt like a step up from the lolos across the street from it.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline