TravelTalkOnline

How to Avoid cruise crowd next week?

Posted By: medskis

How to Avoid cruise crowd next week? - 10/30/2022 01:00 PM

Hi from Philly,

We’ve been going to SXM about every 2nd year since 1997…… timeshare stays in Simpson Bay, Maho and Oyster Bay.

Next week (Tues Wed 11/8-9) we will be visiting on a cruise ship….a Windstar with 300 pax. Thanks to this site cruise calendar I know there will be BIG ships in port both days we are there. I have booked the 28 person ECO tour all day catamaran sailing all around the island for Wednesday and happy that leaves from Bobby’s.
I am at a loss what to do on our first day, Tuesday 11/8. Ideally we would probably prefer to taxi and relax some place on Orient…but….I have no idea which of the locations on Orient will be hosting massive number of cruisers. If anyone can recommend where on Orient we quite likely could find a smaller crowd, umbrella / chaises in a non CO section, I would appreciate the recommendation. We have often done Bikini Beach area and its neighbors but it has been a few years since last visit.

Also wondering about P-burg location etc where wifi might be available …… for a change we are not buying Verizon international plan but might do their $10 a day travel pass just to check in when we cant find wifi for a few days. Happy to buy a drink or more as necessary while using wifi.

As always, this forum is terrific….a big thank you to Carol Hill and all the regulars.

GO PHILLIES.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: How to Avoid cruise crowd next week? - 10/30/2022 01:33 PM

There are so many smaller places that would fit your bill. In fact, they are so small they wouldn't even be able to accommodate cruisers. I would have to think that La Playa might not be the type of place that would have them in either.

Your best bet would be to take a taxi, and start walking the beach. You may enjoy a new and wonderful experience.

WiFi is available all along the boardwalk. And yes, have a seat and grab a drink if you use the free wifi. Stores will also have a QR code to share while you shop and you can jump on their wifi as well.
Posted By: jeepers

Re: How to Avoid cruise crowd next week? - 10/30/2022 02:05 PM

Orange fever on orient. Can't go wrong there.
Posted By: Todd

Re: How to Avoid cruise crowd next week? - 10/30/2022 02:32 PM

You could skip Orient and go to Grand Case, not a cruiser destination. Several good choices for places to spend your day.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: How to Avoid cruise crowd next week? - 10/30/2022 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by jeepers
Orange fever on orient. Can't go wrong there.

For sure that.👍
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: How to Avoid cruise crowd next week? - 10/30/2022 03:36 PM

I agree with Todd--head to Grand Case or Friars Bay. Neither one will be jammed with cruise passengers.
Posted By: SXMBND

Re: How to Avoid cruise crowd next week? - 10/30/2022 06:40 PM

Anse Marcel......??
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: How to Avoid cruise crowd next week? - 10/30/2022 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by SXMBND
Anse Marcel......??

That would be a great choice but should make reservations.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: How to Avoid cruise crowd next week? - 10/31/2022 12:14 AM

Yes, for sure, a good option.!!!
Posted By: EdB

Re: How to Avoid cruise crowd next week? - 10/31/2022 02:41 AM

Go to Orient....La String is great, reasonably priced, great food and great drinks, and the service is top notch!
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: How to Avoid cruise crowd next week? - 10/31/2022 11:28 AM

I agree with Todd about Grand Case, but if you do prefer Orient, I suggest Coco Beach. Not an inexpensive day, and I'm fairly certain they don't take cruise tours. If that's your choice, make a reservation via Facebook messenger.
Posted By: medskis

Re: How to Avoid cruise crowd next week? - 10/31/2022 05:07 PM

Thanks for the multiple suggestions. Some of those (eg Orange Fever and Le String) are new to me. I know the catamaran all day trip we booked for 1 of our 2 days includes Creole Rock / Happy Bay, likely a stop by Friars or Grand Case. Anse Marcel sure is beautiful but think we will look at Orient first for proximity to P-burg and seems we should have a few good options per above.
Thanks and please do your nice weather dances …we set sail on Thursday eve from San Juan….Saturday St. Barths and weather looks stormy….. continuing to Monserrat, St Kitts-Nevis before SXM next Tuesday-Wednesday. BVI after that.
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: How to Avoid cruise crowd next week? - 10/31/2022 05:50 PM

I second Coco Beach for an upscale day on Orient. It's similar in quality and experience to a day at Anse Marcel. Biggest difference is the water is better at Anse Marcel. Enjoy whatever you do!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline