TravelTalkOnline

Monkeys to be eliminated

Posted By: Carol_Hill

Monkeys to be eliminated - 12/15/2022 02:02 PM

Daily Herald link
Posted By: irina

Re: Monkeys to be eliminated - 12/15/2022 08:26 PM

Disgusting. Why do they allow the monkeys to be brought it? Did they swim over or attach themselves to a ship's hull?
Bizarre nature foundation. Why not Birth control? More humane.
i

Re: Monkeys to be eliminated - 12/15/2022 08:57 PM

It would be a huge undertaking to capture them all and neuter them or whatever. SXM had no public funding even for spay or neuter for dogs and cats, to my knowledge. I guess the monkeys are very destructive.
Posted By: pat

Re: Monkeys to be eliminated - 12/15/2022 08:59 PM

Carol,

Just to clarify, is this measure being carried out on both sides of the island or is the effort being limited to Sint Maarten only? Or should I go back and read the article again? πŸ™‚πŸŽ„πŸŽ„πŸ™‚
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Monkeys to be eliminated - 12/15/2022 10:22 PM

Only mentioned the Dutch side.

Re: Monkeys to be eliminated - 12/15/2022 11:28 PM

As Scuba said, only an official policy on the Dutch side, so far anyway.

Re: Monkeys to be eliminated - 12/16/2022 03:33 PM

That’s what I thought the article said.
Seems kind of silly to embark on a project of this nature and not do it island wide if doing it at all.
Do the French monkeys know what will happen to them if they cross the border? I’m just sayin’

Re: Monkeys to be eliminated - 12/16/2022 05:04 PM

Pat--apparently the Dutch and French sides have been arguing about where the border is, for what, 150 years??

Re: Monkeys to be eliminated - 12/16/2022 05:11 PM

I’m thinking the governments will post signs along the border (or what each side perceives to be the border….) warning all monkeys that crossing the perceived borders could be detrimental to their health and well-being. πŸ˜‰πŸŽ„πŸŽ„πŸ˜‰
Posted By: foreversxm

Re: Monkeys to be eliminated - 12/16/2022 05:13 PM

I swear it seems like the government comes up with theses Hot topics just to distract everybody from the real issues. Like finishing the freaking airport
Mess ! Or Government corruption, or GEBE issues , fix the roads , get the junk cars off of the side streets. Yes the monkeys are a problem, if you’ve ever been to Saint Kitts you know that they can become very obnoxious. maybe the government should focus on some better issues rather than killing monkeys.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Monkeys to be eliminated - 12/16/2022 05:33 PM

I think they are trying to make sure they don't become another Kitts.
Posted By: Colour1

Re: Monkeys to be eliminated - 12/18/2022 01:00 PM

I'm no tree hugger or pet person by no stretch, but this seems really harsh! Why not capture them and ship them off to some country that has a forest???

Re: Monkeys to be eliminated - 12/18/2022 01:56 PM

And what country exactly is going to accept them?? They are an invasive species.
Posted By: irina

Re: Monkeys to be eliminated - 12/18/2022 05:34 PM

Feed them the pill! This is cruel. Horrible.
Posted By: CYOWDave

Re: Monkeys to be eliminated - 12/18/2022 05:46 PM

We were in Nevis a few years ago, there are introduced monkeys on the island (that has forests) that cause problems especially destruction of food crops on smallholdings. We visited an agricultural show in Charlestown that included a presentation by a chef on dishes you could cook using monkey meat - which gives you some idea how popular they are on Nevis. Visitors think they are cute, residents tend to hate them.
Dave.

Re: Monkeys to be eliminated - 12/18/2022 07:18 PM

A pill? Like monthly, you mean?
Posted By: GOTOSUN

Re: Monkeys to be eliminated - 12/18/2022 08:31 PM

Look at it this way: Will all those monkeys die some day, in a few years or less?
Of course. How will they die? Disease, struck by vehicles, killed by other animals, old age, generally not pleasant.
Monkeys, unlike humans imho, have no intrinsic value, so if they can have humane deaths perhaps a bit sooner than the normal, nature's cruelty path, and also thereby improve human society, is it not a win?
Posted By: Carib_Ian

Re: Monkeys to be eliminated - 12/19/2022 12:15 AM

On Nevis, any local with a garden will state bluntly what they think of Monkeys. One woman told us the critters should be shot out of a cannon into the sea.
Posted By: TravelHat

Re: Monkeys to be eliminated - 12/19/2022 02:12 AM

πŸ™ˆπŸ™‰πŸ™Š
Posted By: bdeeley

Re: Monkeys to be eliminated - 12/19/2022 03:30 AM

I'd pay to hunt some monkeys.

Description: Good Hunting & Good Eating.
Attached picture 113-1131730_monkey-clipart-emoji-dead-monkey-png-transparent-png.png

Description: Monkey Hunting
Attached picture id-rather-be-monkey-hunting-cute-awesome-faiz-nawaz.jpg
Posted By: IslandBoi

Re: Monkeys to be eliminated - 12/19/2022 03:53 AM

i used to think monkeys were cute, but after visiting St. Kitts and even more so Barbados a few times, i now see them as the invasive species that they are in the caribbean
Posted By: ndfaninnc

Re: Monkeys to be eliminated - 12/19/2022 01:07 PM

Have you ever seen "Outbreak" with Dustin Hoffman?
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline