TravelTalkOnline

Casual restaurant in Grand Case

Posted By: BillDauterive

Casual restaurant in Grand Case - 01/06/2023 10:38 PM

I'm travelling solo to the island next month. In planning my trip, I took note of the upcoming Tuesday Mardi Gras parades in Grand Case. I'm packing my beads! (kidding...)

Anyway, I am planning to watch a parade. But because I'm going solo, I'm less interested in a fancy place with expensive French food ($$$$), and more interested in a more casual dining experience ($$), not far from the parade route in GC.

Any suggestions? Or am I out of luck?
Posted By: Zanshin

Re: Casual restaurant in Grand Case - 01/06/2023 10:50 PM

You absolutely cannot go wrong with visiting one of the LoLo's (Local Owned, Local operated). Good quality street food, great prices, and a location that's hard to beat. I don't know which ones are still around, but there are about 6 or so of them next to each other, all vying for your business.
Posted By: StMartinFan

Re: Casual restaurant in Grand Case - 01/06/2023 11:07 PM

Don't know if you've gone to this before, but just wanted to note that the parade is usually just a small group of musicians and dancers in Mardi Gras style costumes making their way down the Main Street. It's fun to see but just takes a few minutes to move past. What we enjoy as much are all the local crafts people and food vendors that set up tables a long the street for several blocks. There are often some fun foods to try, special drinks, local artwork and items like home made soaps. In the past, a local band might set up in the area by the lolos to play music, too. I'd agree that the lolos can be a good place to eat that night, but they will likely be busy. It's a fun evening and lots of local residents turn out so there's a real festive air. We're making our trip to the island earlier this year so are sad we'll be leaving before the event starts.
Posted By: Dr Phil SXM

Re: Casual restaurant in Grand Case - 01/06/2023 11:18 PM

I would second Lolo's. I go there myself or with company. Very casual good food open air dining. It is on the Main Street as well.

Drphilsxm

Attached picture 20230106_181417.jpg
Attached picture 20230106_181301.jpg
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Casual restaurant in Grand Case - 01/07/2023 06:24 AM

Talk on the Town. Good lolo to go to on the street side.
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Casual restaurant in Grand Case - 01/07/2023 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Zanshin
You absolutely cannot go wrong with visiting one of the LoLo's (Local Owned, Local operated). Good quality street food, great prices, and a location that's hard to beat. I don't know which ones are still around, but there are about 6 or so of them next to each other, all vying for your business.

Lolo doesn't stand for locally owned, locally operated. Most small businesses on the island meet that criterion. Lolo is the grill made from an oil drum.
Posted By: boucharda

Re: Casual restaurant in Grand Case - 01/07/2023 01:24 PM

Our favorite simple lunch place is also T of the T
Posted By: Tonythepilot

Re: Casual restaurant in Grand Case - 01/07/2023 01:45 PM

We ate at the Lolo's one time and were not that impressed with the food. Any recommendations as to which ones might be better than others?
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Casual restaurant in Grand Case - 01/07/2023 03:47 PM

I preferred Talk Of The Town.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Casual restaurant in Grand Case - 01/07/2023 04:02 PM

Actually, I think there is a lot of disagreement about what LOLO stands for. Regardless, I think that is a good choice for what I call Harmony Nights. I would just go by that area and look at the food and pick what looks the best.
Posted By: CaribLee

Re: Casual restaurant in Grand Case - 01/07/2023 07:37 PM

From the St. Martin website:

The story behind “lolos” goes back to the 17th century and the days of colonization. It all began in the warehouses that were set up in the middle of plantations. Slaves and merchandise were stored there prior to being used or sold.
Over time, the slaves’ living quarters became whole districts. These districts gradually formed small villages. The warehouses remained and became local food outlets. Retailers used a sale unit called a “lot”. So the name of these outlets naturally evolved to “lolo”.
Posted By: islandgem

Re: Casual restaurant in Grand Case - 01/07/2023 08:04 PM

Agreed. I have been posting about the real meaning of Lolo for years, but people just don't get it!😊 Oh well, I am happy that a few of us know. A few places don't have the cooking drums, but still call themselves Lolos so I guess it confuses a lot of people.

Re: Casual restaurant in Grand Case - 01/07/2023 09:23 PM

Again, there is a lot of disagreement about the meaning of the name, period.
Posted By: IslandBoi

Re: Casual restaurant in Grand Case - 01/07/2023 11:09 PM

i agree there is a lot of disagreement, a Google search will show that…and for those that claim “a local once told me…”, if you believe everything a local tells you, i have some prime beachfront property in Sucker Garden to sell you. jester

Re: Casual restaurant in Grand Case - 01/08/2023 12:04 AM

IslandBoi--for sure..
Posted By: TravelHat

Re: Casual restaurant in Grand Case - 01/08/2023 02:48 AM

Last Option, Look Onward
Posted By: EdB

Re: Casual restaurant in Grand Case - 01/08/2023 02:51 AM

and another vote for Talk of the Town. Can't get more casual than that.....and for ten to twelve bucks, you won't regret it. Great chicken, ribs, fish, or whatever you may want. Really good...especially for casual.
Posted By: JohnB

Re: Casual restaurant in Grand Case - 01/10/2023 10:56 PM

This post reminds me of years ago and you know who asked "what's the best pizza?". We have been to all of them and the difference is marginal. Best advice is to go to the place that cooks the food while you wait. This wont happen on Tuesdays during Harmony nights. We go for an inexpensive fun time. Have been known to take out ribs for an easy dinner back at our hideout too.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline