TravelTalkOnline

Vervet Monkey elimination

Posted By: Liliana

Vervet Monkey elimination - 01/18/2023 02:29 PM

I for one will not return to Sint Maarten if in fact they capture and kill all these monkeys. I might be able to tolerate a feral sterization, but killing them is too much for me to tolerate. I cant think of anything cruel about the friendly island, but this.
Liliana
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Vervet Monkey elimination - 01/18/2023 03:55 PM

Not sure why you posted this here, versus responding to the old thread. You are certainly entitled to your opinion. I am a member of the ASPCA, the HSUS and the WWF, so I am not unsympathetic to animal issues. However, in this case, it does appear that these animals are a threat to the community and there doesn't appear to be another way to resolve it, based on experience on other islands.
Posted By: foreversxm

Re: Vervet Monkey elimination - 01/18/2023 04:22 PM

I understand but unfortunately the people in Gov that make the policies could care less if you return. They still are going to live very well. The people that do care if you return are the hotels, restaurants etc that depend on tourist to feed their families. Seems a little drastic plus SXM is still an amazing place to vacation so who's really losing out? Ask someone on ST KITTS about Monkeys and what they do. IMO
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Vervet Monkey elimination - 01/18/2023 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by foreversxm
I understand but unfortunately the people in Gov that make the policies could care less if you return. They still are going to live very well. The people that do care if you return are the hotels, restaurants etc that depend on tourist to feed their families. Seems a little drastic plus SXM is still an amazing place to vacation so who's really losing out? Ask someone on ST KITTS about Monkeys and what they do. IMO

Well said.
Posted By: WWII

Re: Vervet Monkey elimination - 01/18/2023 04:39 PM

When I was in the navy, they sold BBQ monkey meat on skewers in Olongapo.
Maybe the lolos could add a menu item.
Posted By: pat

Re: Vervet Monkey elimination - 01/18/2023 04:41 PM

You really need mot venture to St. Kitts to discover the devastation these creatures can create as it’s already happening on SXM. There was a time when the monkeys were few and far between but they appear to be over-sexed and quite prolific and their numbers have escalated drastically.

As many trips as we’ve made over the years to our beloved island I have only once seen a monkey on the island and it was one monkey one time,, at a property in the Cupecoy area (that no longer exists, btw…..) and it almost became one of the features of the property along with the properties’ beautiful pool views and the number of kitties that used to populate the property on a regular basis.

That said, talk to the people who live on the island and have their gardens devastated each season; to the best of my knowledge, the monkeys are not too much of a problem in the most developed areas of the island so I question the effects they might have on tourism in general, but if I were growing fruits and foodstuffs only to see them destroyed season after season, I wouldn’t be happy about it. And as an island resident who takes pride in the beautification of their properties, I would NOT be at all happy with the mess they can and do make. I think I’d want them gone, too, and I doubt they’d volunteer to come in for voluntary sterilization! 🙂🙂
Posted By: bdeeley

Re: Vervet Monkey elimination - 01/18/2023 04:43 PM

Monkey is good eating

Re: Vervet Monkey elimination - 01/18/2023 04:45 PM

Oh, Brian……..!! I for one, will never find out if that’s true but knowing you, I’ll take your word on it.

Re: Vervet Monkey elimination - 01/18/2023 04:50 PM

Pat--well said. Locals are the ones who are being damaged by these creatures, not necessarily tourists. I know of one local person that has had many crops destroyed and several animals killed by monkeys, and he kills them on sight. Ask any local person for their thoughts on the subject. And the cost for sterilization really makes that not an answer.
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Vervet Monkey elimination - 01/18/2023 06:57 PM

Yuck
Posted By: Todd

Re: Vervet Monkey elimination - 01/18/2023 08:21 PM

Reminds me of "chilled monkey brains" in the Raiders of Lost Arc movie. I'll pass on any monkey eating but I get the pest situation, probably going to take a while however as somebody has to figure out how they will make a chunk of money for solving the problem.

Re: Vervet Monkey elimination - 01/18/2023 08:30 PM

Yeah, I think the talk of eating them needs to go away. No reason for that.

Re: Vervet Monkey elimination - 01/22/2023 04:36 AM

I find TTOL to be a great resource for SXM. I find it abhorrent that humans are looking at these primates with opposable thumbs that live in familial groups who are just looking for food as pests that must be EXTERMINATED. It is not their fault they are on SXM competing for food sources. They were brought from Africa. They are old world monkeys. Perhaps the New world humans need to find a way to deal with them short of extermination. Just not right.

Re: Vervet Monkey elimination - 01/22/2023 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Liliana
I find TTOL to be a great resource for SXM. I find it abhorrent that humans are looking at these primates with opposable thumbs that live in familial groups who are just looking for food as pests that must be EXTERMINATED. It is not their fault they are on SXM competing for food sources. They were brought from Africa. They are old world monkeys. Perhaps the New world humans need to find a way to deal with them short of extermination. Just not right.

Get over it. Unless you live there then you don't know what the locals really go through dealing with these pests.
Posted By: NeilRooney

Re: Vervet Monkey elimination - 01/22/2023 09:07 AM

On Nevis they outnumber humans by a factor of two. That's approximately.25,000 of these pesky critters. Farmers must maintain.electric fences to protect their crops.
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Vervet Monkey elimination - 01/22/2023 01:05 PM

Wow a major problem there.

Re: Vervet Monkey elimination - 01/22/2023 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Kennys
Wow a major problem there.

A few tears ago we came to know a young woman who originally came to SXM from St. Kitts and in chatting with her one evening she told us about how, as a fairly young child, she was jumped on by a velvet monkey and how to the present day she is still terrified of them. I’m pretty sure that type of ‘monkeying around’ is not the normal behavior but it certainly left a very lasting impression on her. Thankfully, her Daddy was there to take care of her…….
Posted By: Carib_Ian

Re: Vervet Monkey elimination - 01/22/2023 05:32 PM

On Nevis, these monkeys are not just a nuisance, they represent a real threat to the locals who grow their own food.
Posted By: Mikel

Re: Vervet Monkey elimination - 01/22/2023 06:59 PM

Oyster Pond Road has its share of these monkeys and the long sidewalk is also a popular walking trail for many locals. Almost all of them carry a stick with them to fend off both monkeys and dogs.
Posted By: bizzottom

Re: Vervet Monkey elimination - 01/23/2023 12:04 PM

Get over it. Unless you live there then you don't know what the locals really go through dealing with these pests. [/quote]
well put scuba!! people only see their side of the discussion
Posted By: kim

Re: Vervet Monkey elimination - 01/23/2023 12:09 PM

We have deer, bear and coyote killings in the US to keep down the population because of the imbalance in the eco system every year. No difference.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Vervet Monkey elimination - 01/23/2023 12:49 PM

Yep, many suburbs around us hire "sharp-shooters" to control the deer population in parks and other areas that are a problem. They have tried the sterilization but it appears to not work that well. Another problem around here is Canadian Geese and they are protected so nothing can be done other than methods to scare them away and they go to another food and water source.

Re: Vervet Monkey elimination - 01/28/2023 03:46 PM

https://youtu.be/cQo8FVblR1c

Video showing foster motherhood amongst these primates. Definitely not akin to a deer herd culling. These primates are looking for food. They live in troops. How do you all feel about Gorillas? Ah,they are in Africa not our beloved island. But what if they were? Same views?

Raising consciousness about perceived pests.

Perhaps a Monkeyworld like Parrotworld.

Liliana

Re: Vervet Monkey elimination - 01/28/2023 03:57 PM

"Perhaps a Monkeyworld like Parrotworld."
You've got to be kidding me. They are talking about eliminating an infestation of pests. Not just a few to look at in a compound. duh
Posted By: CaribbeanCanadians

Re: Vervet Monkey elimination - 01/28/2023 04:27 PM

It’s funny, my wife and I have spent close to three years total in St. Maarten and haven’t seen one of these monkeys.

Re: Vervet Monkey elimination - 01/28/2023 10:32 PM

Green Vervet Monkey in Nevis in my back yard

Description: Green Vervet Monkey
Attached picture Nevis Green Vervet Monkey Villa Green Flash.jpg

Re: Vervet Monkey elimination - 01/29/2023 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by CaribbeanCanadians
It’s funny, my wife and I have spent close to three years total in St. Maarten and haven’t seen one of these monkeys.

Don't feel alone. I've never seen one either but that's not to say they aren't around and being a serious problem for the locals.
Posted By: CharlieAndElaine

Re: Vervet Monkey elimination - 01/29/2023 10:38 AM

Monkey problem in SXM and other islands is similar to the python problem in the Florida Everglades. Invasive, non-native species that is damaging the native plants and wildlife.
Posted By: Southshore

Re: Vervet Monkey elimination - 01/29/2023 02:13 PM

Who gave the monkey in Nevis the banana?

Re: Vervet Monkey elimination - 01/29/2023 02:57 PM

I did, a Christmas present.
Posted By: Southshore

Re: Vervet Monkey elimination - 01/29/2023 04:01 PM

A kind gesture. Thank you.
Posted By: o2bnsxm

Re: Vervet Monkey elimination - 01/29/2023 04:09 PM

He really wanted a Red Stripe or Carib, but settled instead for the banana

Re: Vervet Monkey elimination - 01/29/2023 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by NeilRooney
I did, a Christmas present.

So you're the one that started it all.🤣
Posted By: Angelface

Re: Vervet Monkey elimination - 01/31/2023 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by SXMScubaman
Originally Posted by Liliana

Get over it. Unless you live there then you don't know what the locals really go through dealing with these pests.

I wrote a big long reply about what we are literally dealing with right now in Colombier (where I'm currently visiting my parents who will talk your ear off about the damage these monkeys are doing). But Scuba said it with less words.

Re: Vervet Monkey elimination - 01/31/2023 02:25 AM

Angelface--the original post had to do with the Dutch side. Do you know whether there is a similar program to be instituted on the French side?
Posted By: Angelface

Re: Vervet Monkey elimination - 02/06/2023 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
Angelface--the original post had to do with the Dutch side. Do you know whether there is a similar program to be instituted on the French side?

I haven't heard of anything.
Posted By: SirRichard

Re: Vervet Monkey elimination - 02/07/2023 02:09 PM

No sign of The Monkees on the French side where we are, but I did see Michel Dolenze at Orient beach

Re: Vervet Monkey elimination - 02/07/2023 03:58 PM

Article in Herald.LINK

Re: Vervet Monkey elimination - 02/10/2023 03:19 AM

CBS News article.
https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/saint-martin-green-monkeys-theyre-everywhere/

Re: Vervet Monkey elimination - 04/05/2023 07:53 PM

https://www.bornfreeusa.org/2023/02...en-monkey-cull-public-petition-launched/

Perhaps there is hope to save St Maartens non-human primates. If so inclined please sign the petition at born free
Posted By: RonDon

Re: Vervet Monkey elimination - 04/06/2023 12:24 PM

We too never saw any monkeys and we travelled all around the island. So it seems they congregate in just one place. Is that an infestation?
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline