TravelTalkOnline

Take out ribs

Posted By: marge

Take out ribs - 02/12/2023 04:05 PM

Hi, I realize I’m opening a “can of worms”, but I an looking for an alternative to Capt. D’s (Last time their ribs were way over cooked)
Any suggestions in the Simpson Bay Area for a take out rib place?
Thanks!
Posted By: Whale Tail

Re: Take out ribs - 02/12/2023 04:10 PM

The Palms for their Drunken Ribs, so good. Not sure if they offer take out but I would think that they do.
Posted By: rickjames

Re: Take out ribs - 02/12/2023 04:16 PM

I have had Captains 2 times this trip and they were by far the best I have had in a long time. If you don’t want to give them another shot Buc Beach Bar has all you eat Mon and Tues
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Take out ribs - 02/12/2023 04:37 PM

Those drunken ribs at the Palms are way too expensive for me!

I know it's not Simpson Bay, but the ribs at Mark's are some of the best on island and the best value. You could make a run to Carrefour and get the carry-out while there.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Take out ribs - 02/12/2023 05:00 PM

"Those drunken ribs at the Palms are way too expensive for me"
True that. Plus you don't get very many either. Lee's will do take out.
Posted By: EdB

Re: Take out ribs - 02/12/2023 05:06 PM

I have always loved Lee's ribs also. In thirty years, i have never been dissapointed.
Posted By: Zanshin

Re: Take out ribs - 02/12/2023 05:24 PM

I had ribs at the SMYC (sint Maarten Yacht Club) a couple of weeks and they were some of the best I'd ever had - I was pleasantly surprised.
Posted By: marge

Re: Take out ribs - 02/12/2023 06:03 PM

I’m looking for take out only. I’ve heard good things about Mark’s, loved them when he was in Cul d’ sac way back when.
Nothing fancy, just looking for something to take back to unit for dinner.
Posted By: Zanshin

Re: Take out ribs - 02/12/2023 06:26 PM

The SYMC ribs are for take-away as well.

Re: Take out ribs - 02/12/2023 06:37 PM

Give Captains another try. Always been good for us. Your over cooked ones were probably a one time occurrence.

Re: Take out ribs - 02/12/2023 06:40 PM

marge--Like I said, if you combine a trip to Carrefour, it makes sense to go to Mark's. Otherwise, it's kind of a haul from Simpson Bay.
Posted By: islandgem

Re: Take out ribs - 02/12/2023 08:02 PM

I suggest you go back to the Captain's ribs and tell them that the last time they were overcooked. Then place another order and they will know exactly the way you want them. They will appreciate you telling them the problem so they can make it right for you.

Re: Take out ribs - 02/12/2023 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by islandgem
I suggest you go back to the Captain's ribs and tell them that the last time they were overcooked. Then place another order and they will know exactly the way you want them. They will appreciate you telling them the problem so they can make it right for you.

And they might even make it right for you by giving you a comp side or a bubbly.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Take out ribs - 02/12/2023 10:13 PM

You will not go wrong with Mark's Place.
Posted By: BillDauterive

Re: Take out ribs - 02/12/2023 11:11 PM

So... wondering here.

In the United States, if a person orders ribs, they will likely get pork ribs.

On the island, will a person ordering "ribs" get pork ribs? Or goat ribs? Or... lamb ribs?

Asking because I don't know.

Re: Take out ribs - 02/12/2023 11:14 PM

I've always have received pork ribs.
Posted By: EdB

Re: Take out ribs - 02/12/2023 11:25 PM

Bill...whatever they are...they are usually SOOOOO GOOOOOODDDD!!!! I don't think i ever had ribs anywhere on the island that weren't fantastic!!!
Posted By: BillDauterive

Re: Take out ribs - 02/12/2023 11:44 PM

Yeah, I'm agnostic. I've had great ribs on the island. And unlike Scuba guy, I can't tell the difference. Driving around the island, seeing zero pigs and dozens of goats, I have a very difficult time believing that any ribs are pork ribs. Whatever.

What does Andrew Zimmern say? "If it looks good, eat it!"

Totally fits on the island. Good food everywhere.

Re: Take out ribs - 02/13/2023 12:28 AM

Not to far back there was an article in the Herald posted on this forum by yours truely that was about the pig farmer supplying ribs to some local businesses and households. Most all meats, produce and dairy products are brought in to the island from outside sources.
Posted By: bdeeley

Re: Take out ribs - 02/13/2023 12:37 AM

Pig article below

pig article thread

Re: Take out ribs - 02/13/2023 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by bdeeley
Pig article below

pig article thread

Thanks.

Re: Take out ribs - 02/13/2023 01:26 AM

I believe almost all the pork ribs are imported and not from local sources.

Re: Take out ribs - 02/13/2023 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by ruralcarrier
I believe almost all the pork ribs are imported and not from local sources.

Correct. After talking to a couple of my personal friends that also have and had restaurants in SXM they told me it was pretty regulated where they get their ribs and other meats and products.
Posted By: reddoglady

Re: Take out ribs - 02/13/2023 01:55 PM

johnny b under the tree..................
Posted By: wildbill069

Re: Take out ribs - 02/13/2023 07:40 PM

Not Simpson Bay but Gutside has the best Ribs On The Island !!!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Take out ribs - 02/13/2023 10:13 PM

I'm going back 25+ years when I used to get ribs from a wonderful lady on All. des Lambis in Grand Case. We were staying at GGBC, and would p/u in the afternoon after a day at the beach. As much as I remember the ribs I will never forget this lovely lady's smile and laugh. Hope someone else remembers.
Posted By: IslandBoi

Re: Take out ribs - 02/15/2023 05:15 AM

having had ribs in many places on SXM, although most taste great, i always comment how the "pigs" must be anorexic...hardly any meat compared to the baby back ribs in the US
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Take out ribs - 02/15/2023 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by IslandBoi
having had ribs in many places on SXM, although most taste great, i always comment how the "pigs" must be anorexic...hardly any meat compared to the baby back ribs in the US

Which may be why the ribs at The Palms aren't as cheap as other spots. Greg's Drunken Ribs are extremely meaty; I have a hard time finishing a half rack.
Posted By: RonDon

Re: Take out ribs - 02/15/2023 12:54 PM

Does the French side get meat (pigs) from the Dutch side? French side seems to have more regulations on everything.
Posted By: bdeeley

Re: Take out ribs - 02/15/2023 01:21 PM

Most ribs on the the island of SXM are pork ribs. They come in two varieties, baby back ribs and spare ribs. Baby back ribs are a lesser cut, usually smaller in size(3"-6" in length) and less meat on the bone than spare ribs. Baby back ribs are also a less expensive cut. You will see baby back ribs offered at places like Rosie's or the Lolo's and see spare ribs offered at places like The Palms and Lee's.

Most ribs offered on the island are imported as the islands farming community could not even supply just the islands residents.

Re: Take out ribs - 02/15/2023 01:40 PM

At one time, I was told most of the pork ribs come from Venezuela. No idea if that is accurate but they are not local in most cases.
Posted By: Bahston

Re: Take out ribs - 02/15/2023 04:43 PM

Food sustainability in St Maarten/St Martin is almost non-existant. Shut down the ships and airfreight, and the resorts can’t exist.
Posted By: the captain

Re: Take out ribs - 02/16/2023 12:54 AM

Wow I was a CaptD fan until I had Rosie’s the next day and like one said earlier, the CD ribs felt overdone last time where was Rosie’s were amazing. I’ll have to try both again.

Just did 3 racks of baby back ribs on my kamado for the superbowl and they were wild. I always felt the baby backs were meatier and leaner than spare. May have to try spare again

Re: Take out ribs - 02/16/2023 01:17 AM

"I always felt the baby backs were meatier and leaner than spare"
Same here. I've seen some restaurants take the larger rib rack and saw them in half down the middle length wide and call them baby backs. Amazing what some places do.
Posted By: MotownTim

Re: Take out ribs - 02/16/2023 11:41 AM

I used to like “D’s when it was a smaller operation. Now you drive by and the place and parking lot is packed with people. Maybe the quality has suffered with the expansion. I’ll have to check one day when it’s not so busy.
Posted By: bizzottom

Re: Take out ribs - 02/16/2023 12:19 PM

Agree Ed

Re: Take out ribs - 02/16/2023 03:39 PM

bizzottom--times 3. Liked it better when it was much smaller.

Re: Take out ribs - 02/16/2023 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
bizzottom--times 3. Liked it better when it was much smaller.

Me too.
Posted By: irina

Re: Take out ribs - 02/16/2023 06:42 PM

I too have seen butchers use their band saw to cut the ribs in half and call them baby backs. Totally unacceptable. And that was at a butcher in NJ.!

Re: Take out ribs - 02/16/2023 08:17 PM

To me, there is a HUGE difference between true baby back ribs and spare/St. Louis style ribs. I much prefer baby back ribs.

Re: Take out ribs - 02/17/2023 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by SXMScubaman
"I always felt the baby backs were meatier and leaner than spare"
Same here. I've seen some restaurants take the larger rib rack and saw them in half down the middle length wide and call them baby backs. Amazing what some places do.

I have to make more and report back. 🧐🧐🧐 come to think of it, I also prefer the baby backs because I can make them, wait for it, healthier. Smoke for an hour or 2, then 1 hrs in steam convection oven. It’s amazing how much fat renders off

Re: Take out ribs - 02/17/2023 07:11 PM

Baby Backs are from a different part of the ribs. They are not spare ribs cut in half. And Baby Backs are more expensive and leaner. Less fat.
I have been making them for 40 years. Telling you there is a big difference.
Posted By: Colour1

Re: Take out ribs - 02/18/2023 11:41 AM

I know for fact that Dino takes a lot of pride to put out the very best product for his customers. I'm sure that if you contacted him. He would make it right!! I know I'm going WAY back with this one, but IMHO Ms. Bee's on Dawn beach had the BEST ribs on the island! Captain Dee's does a really good job of coming a hard second! LOL!!! Send him a DM!!! https://www.facebook.com/darrundell

Re: Take out ribs - 02/18/2023 04:51 PM

The best, going way back was Lido's. Oh man, the parking lot had cars sticking out on Welfare Rd. waiting for them to come out of the smoker! Delish!
Posted By: indi

Re: Take out ribs - 02/18/2023 05:02 PM

Agree. Dino and his wife would want to hear your feedback. Give them an opportunity to correct the problem. Very good people.

Re: Take out ribs - 02/18/2023 05:40 PM

Irina--I remember Lido, yes. And the horrible story about how they treated people there. Based on that, glad they are gone.
Posted By: jollymonsrv

Re: Take out ribs - 02/19/2023 01:23 PM

Lido was a First Stop every trip
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Take out ribs - 02/19/2023 01:40 PM

Lido the former Chinese Restaurant ?

Re: Take out ribs - 02/21/2023 06:29 PM

Yes, Chinese restaurant and mini mart. Used to pick up the Sunday NYTimes on Mondays. Lido ribs were great. I never experienced any rudeness but just went for the paper and the ribs.
Cheers
irina
Posted By: fabila

Re: Take out ribs - 02/21/2023 09:25 PM

Lido’s were delicious by as my husband said we thought Ms B’s on Dawn had the best. We also use to like Dinghy Docks in Oyster Pond.

We enjoyed Captain D and plan to return

Re: Take out ribs - 02/21/2023 11:34 PM

All this talk about ribs I just took a rack of baby backs out of the freezer and will dry rub them after they thaw. Will slow cook on bbq all day Saturday. 👌

Re: Take out ribs - 02/23/2023 01:52 PM

🤘🏽🤘🏽🤘🏽yeah baby. I smoked 3 racks on b backs on Super Bowl.

So CaptD was better this time. And Rosie’s was good. Tough to say if we prefer either. Come to think of it, any good spice rub recommendations to take home, from down here?
Posted By: bobbarb

Re: Take out ribs - 02/24/2023 01:36 AM

To me the best ribs are from Marks Place, baby back fall off the bone and you can get the wonderful scalloped potatoes at a very reasonable price, if you are eating in and a big eater you can get all you can for less than the Palms. They always do a great takeout business especially with the locals. I also think the palms ribs are overpriced but some of the other meals fair priced.
Bob
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline