TravelTalkOnline

Looking for a Hario V60

Posted By: Zanshin

Looking for a Hario V60 - 02/19/2023 12:23 AM

Disaster struck a half hour ago aboard Zanshin. I was making a nice ribeye steak when I turned around in the galley and broke my Hario V60 maker! While not quite worthy of a mayday call, it comes close!

Would anyone know of where on island I could find one of these? I can't think of a specialty coffee place but would be willing to travel anywhere on island to replace this priceless coffee maker.[u][/u]

I've got an Aeropress and French Press as backups, so I won't be going into caffeine withdrawals tomorrow morning. But I'd still like to replace my go-to coffee making system. I have fresh roasted beans aboard and use a manual grinder, but the Aeropress is too small and the French Press too big. And the Bialetti aluminum maker doesn't do it for me in the morning.
Posted By: CharlieAndElaine

Re: Looking for a Hario V60 - 02/19/2023 10:47 AM

Did you break the dripper or the carafe? While I’m not sure if you will find a Hario on the island, I would think that you should be able to find a dripper that would be the same size as your filters and/or a carafe in any number of places. I would probably start with the ACE Megastore on Union Rd.

Re: Looking for a Hario V60 - 02/19/2023 10:59 AM

The Hario system combines a special dripper (open-ended, not a solid bottom with holes) and filter paper. The dripper survived, but was made to match the glass carafe and doesn't have a lip or stand. I'm almost certain ACE won't have it, but am willing to try PDG first and then ace. Basically, a coffee specialty store that also carries Aeropress would have it. But I am going to order a number of things on Amazon in the USA anyway and the use a shipper like 4-Star-Cargo to get it here, so I'll combine it with that order if I can't get it sooner. My first coffee this morning didn't work out too well with Hario dripper...
Posted By: Ritchard

Re: Looking for a Hario V60 - 02/20/2023 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Zanshin
The Hario system combines a special dripper (open-ended, not a solid bottom with holes) and filter paper. The dripper survived, but was made to match the glass carafe and doesn't have a lip or stand. I'm almost certain ACE won't have it, but am willing to try PDG first and then ace. Basically, a coffee specialty store that also carries Aeropress would have it. But I am going to order a number of things on Amazon in the USA anyway and the use a shipper like 4-Star-Cargo to get it here, so I'll combine it with that order if I can't get it sooner. My first coffee this morning didn't work out too well with Hario dripper...

I use West Tech for shipping because of its convenient location close to Island Water World, and order SOMETHING from Amazon pretty well weekly. Since West Tech no longer offers consolidation, I wait a bit and use "Amazon Day" for delivery to have it in the smallest number of single boxes.
]

Re: Looking for a Hario V60 - 02/20/2023 01:19 PM

@Ritchard - I just checked the pricing and timing for West Tech and think that my current carrier, 4 Star Cargo, is a better choice. They will do next-day from Florida and the pickup is by the airport (halfway between the terminal and sunset beach). They have no minimum charge and $1.85 per pound for air freight.

I wish there were a consolidator around since everything I want right now on Amazon will get delivered in separate packages!

Re: Looking for a Hario V60 - 02/20/2023 03:15 PM

I used to use 4 star, but always felt like I had to wait until car rental day to pick up my stuff. Have you found a good and reliable place to leave a dinghy when visiting the cargo depot?

Re: Looking for a Hario V60 - 02/20/2023 04:31 PM

The bus to their front door is $1 or $1.50 from anywhere in Cole Bay, so I don't need to rent a car (unless it is something REALLY big). There's also the new bar called The Rusty Rocket right by the airport with a dinghy dock that cruisers can use. It is a bit further away than the old Pink Iguana, but not by much.

Re: Looking for a Hario V60 - 02/20/2023 08:23 PM

The Rusty Dock isn't open regularly enough for my comfort. And the bus, naww. I may have to stick to West Tech and pay for the convenience.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline