TravelTalkOnline

Trip Report Week 1 Feb 27 - March 4

Posted By: Leagle49

Trip Report Week 1 Feb 27 - March 4 - 03/06/2023 11:57 AM

We were on the Sunday flight on Sunday out of Newark. Landed in SXM at 1:07pm, 20 minutes early. No one ahead of us in immigration. Our bags were almost the last to come off the belt. There was a huge long line for Customs where everyone had to put all their bags through a big scanner. Exited the airport about 2.

The people for DeBest (Unity) were waiting and we got our rental straight away. Michael reported that it’s very difficult to get cars now and the price of them has surged. Hardly anyone has cars available for walk ups.

Off to Simpson Bay Resort. Check-in was quick and easy and our room was ready. Jeannie from ShopNDrop had been there and our fridge and cupboards were stocked. Simply the best service!
For dinner we had Juilette’s Bistro deliver a Salad and a Pizza to the room. The salad had apples and dried cranberries, pecans and almonds. The pizza crust was nice and crispy. Very pleased.
Monday. Went to Carefour about 10am. It was not busy at all! Got everything we need and were back home in time for lunch on the balcony. What is better than a sandwich on a fresh baguette with a glass of dry white wine? This will be my daily lunch. Spent the afternoon at the pool reading. Happy hour on the balcony watching the sun set. Saw a great Green Flash! First on in a long time! Made big salads with grilled chicken for our supper. Followed by Etan Run Raisin ice create. Great ending to a great day.

Tuesday was very quiet. Pool morning and afternoon. Lunch on the balcony, a baguette sandwich and a glass of a nice dry white wine. Happy hour on the balcony followed by big salads with grilled chicken. This will be the pattern for most days. Hardly a cloud in the sky all day. We can see Saba so clearly! Saw a brilliant green flash for the second night in a row!!

Wed. was pretty much a repeat. Observation: Last year was VERY windy all of our weeks. So far this year it’s been almost dead calm until today. There is a nice breeze today. A lot of boats are out practicing this morning for the Regatta (At least I don’t think it starts till tomorrow and I’m too lazy to check) Looks like excellent sailing conditions and it’s a gorgeous sight.

Thursday and Friday were pretty much the same. Once we settled in we’re pretty boring.

On Saturday our friend Holly arrived to spend a week with us. She came from Chelsea Michigan and had a 6 am flight on Spirit with a 1.5 hour layover in Ft. Lauderdale. Chelsea had 8 .5 inches of snow Friday night and her flight was an hour late leaving Detroit. She barely made her connection! It was a nail biter for all of us. We relaxed and got carryout from Avantika. Calamari, Shrimp Spring Rolls, Drunken Noodles with Chicken, Vegetable Stir-Fry with Shrimp and Jungle Curry with Chicken. All really, really good!

General observations. Last year it was very windy every day. This your it’s back to gentle breezes. Saba has never been so clear so many day!

Thus ends week 1

Attached picture thumbnail1st.jpg
Attached picture thumbnail2nd.jpg
Attached picture thumbnail3rd.jpg
Attached picture thumbnail4th.jpg
Attached picture thumbnail5th.jpg
Attached picture thumbnail6th.jpg
Attached picture thumbnail7th.jpg
Attached picture thumbnail8th.jpg
Posted By: Whale Tail

Re: Trip Report Week 1 Feb 27 - March 4 - 03/06/2023 12:43 PM

Sounds wonderfully relaxing not boring at all. Your food pics made me hungry. Two green flashes in a row, unfair. Enjoy your stay and keep posting.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Trip Report Week 1 Feb 27 - March 4 - 03/06/2023 12:50 PM

Looks and sounds like a good start to your trip. Hope to cross paths once I arrive.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Trip Report Week 1 Feb 27 - March 4 - 03/06/2023 01:52 PM

thanks for the report and the pics! One week down, three to go? You dog!! grin
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Trip Report Week 1 Feb 27 - March 4 - 03/06/2023 03:52 PM

Avantika is one of our favorites. Always good.
Posted By: pat

Re: Trip Report Week 1 Feb 27 - March 4 - 03/06/2023 04:24 PM

Sounds like a perfect trip so far but I do have one complaint! Two green flashes back to back?! In almost fifty years of annual trips I’ve yet to see one!! Hope your good weather continues and the rest of your trip is just as enjoyable as it’s been to date. TY for sharing and allowing us to be a part of it. 😊😊
Posted By: Leagle49

Re: Trip Report Week 1 Feb 27 - March 4 - 03/06/2023 04:26 PM

This week we have a friend visiting us so we'll be eating out more which means more food pictures.

Carol, we're here for 5 weeks
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Trip Report Week 1 Feb 27 - March 4 - 03/06/2023 04:28 PM

John--FIVE weeks?? Now I really hate you. laugh
Posted By: lcote

Re: Trip Report Week 1 Feb 27 - March 4 - 03/06/2023 05:20 PM

5 weeks?! Oh, that sounds lovely!
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: Trip Report Week 1 Feb 27 - March 4 - 03/06/2023 06:20 PM

Sounds like a wonderfully boring start to a great five weeks. Keep enjoying!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline