TravelTalkOnline

Gutside

Posted By: RonDon

Gutside - 03/29/2023 10:17 PM

Finally made it to Gutside. Tried to convince hubby every year and he’d say the name turns him off. After reviews here he gave in today.

We were. Warmly welcomed by a tall gentleman who identified himself as “Uncle Freddie” then he said his name was Richard. Nice sweet man. He seated us and supplied a simplistic menu of fish, shrimp, ribs, stewed pork and a couple of other items. No aptzr listed, no desserts.

Hubby ordered Snapper Fillet and I ordered ribs. Both plates came with rice, fried plantain, green beans, carrots rice & beans. We each had a bottle of Ting. A.ll for an unbelievable €32.

Ribs were uniquely delicious, unlike any bbq ribs I’d had before. The sauce was garlicky sweet, sticky not dry, I detected a hint of turmeric. Hubby loved the fish that was smothered with peppers & onions. He liked it so much he said he like to go back again before we leave on this trip.

When we got up to leave Richard said we could not until he got a squeeze and practically broke my rib.

The place doesn’t look like much from the road and not much better inside. I’d say more of a beach area, plastic tables & chairs one seated 6 another 8 or 10 and 4 tables for two. Old wooden floor that creaks. Walls covered with license plates. A small bar with a see thru to kitchen. No need to dress up here.
Posted By: boucharda

Re: Gutside - 03/29/2023 10:26 PM

It has been on my list for years and every time I drive by I say "We should try this place"....I WILL try it next visit
Posted By: wct49

Re: Gutside - 03/29/2023 11:11 PM

I can never find it. Where is it exactly?

Re: Gutside - 03/29/2023 11:23 PM

Drive road from Marigot to Grand Case over a hill with beautiful view then. Then left turn towards Friars Beach. There. Is now a colorful sign Gutside with a left arrow. It’s on the right side of road before road curves toward Friars,
Posted By: islandgem

Re: Gutside - 03/30/2023 03:52 AM

Glad you enjoyed Gutside. I have had a few great meals there. Richard is the owner and chef and Lourdes is his wife. They usually are both there together. Richard is also the nephew of the famous artist, Ruby Bute. Richard and Lourdes also will do private catering at your residence if you so desire. Everything he cooks there is delicious and the prices are so reasonable. Gutside is truly a Caribbean treat!

Re: Gutside - 03/30/2023 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by islandgem
Glad you enjoyed Gutside. I have had a few great meals there. Richard is the owner and chef and Lourdes is his wife. They usually are both there together. Richard is also the nephew of the famous artist, Ruby Bute. Richard and Lourdes also will do private catering at your residence if you so desire. Everything he cooks there is delicious and the prices are so reasonable. Gutside is truly a Caribbean treat!

Thank you for the info that Ruby Bute is Richards mother. Her studio is (was?) just down the same street at end turn left.
Posted By: mahokid

Re: Gutside - 03/30/2023 11:13 AM

Glad you enjoyed Gutside.

Yes it is really good simple food and I love the sauce on his fish, I always order the whole red snapper

His wife is just as warm and welcoming

Surprised you did not get a tour as he built everything himself

Also saw his avocado and mango trees

Richard is a retired school teacher

By coincidence the last time we visited Richard said he looked at our Christmas post card with our pictures in the morning and we showed up for lunch that day

Not open every day so don't be surprised if you drive by and no one is there
Posted By: jomarc

Re: Gutside - 03/30/2023 11:35 AM

So happy you made it to Gutside. It’s nothing fancy, but the owners and the food make up for that!

We haven’t been there in a few years, but truly have enjoyed dining there several times in the past.

Richard introduced me to oxtail. His version was truly delicious. On another visit, Lourdes convinced me to eat the fried snapper cheeks and its eyeballs. One and done on that. Lol

The restaurant is a labor of love. Richard gave me a tour of the entire place, and the architecture is quite interesting.

I never knew that Richard is Ruby’s nephew. Learned something new today!
Posted By: Jaybird

Re: Gutside - 03/30/2023 12:30 PM

We make it to Gutside every trip. We love the food and always enjoy visiting with Richard and Lourdes. I agree with Elizabeth that Gutside is a truly Caribbean treat.
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: Gutside - 03/30/2023 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by RonDon
Thank you for the info that Ruby Bute is Richards mother. Her studio is (was?) just down the same street at end turn left.

Ruby is NOT Richard's mother. Actually, I thought Ruby told me they were distant cousins, but Elizabeth says aunt/nephew. Either way, she's definitely NOT his mother.

Yes, her studio is down the road and around the corner.
Posted By: The_Lurker

Re: Gutside - 03/30/2023 05:01 PM

Love it there!
It took so many years to finally get there, but we return each trip now.

The food is great and they are a delightful couple!
Posted By: wct49

Re: Gutside - 03/30/2023 10:56 PM

Thank you. Hope to make it by in three weeks!
Posted By: jeepers

Re: Gutside - 03/31/2023 01:08 AM

I think the name came because the big trench behind restaurant is called a gut.
We stay 2 minutes walk from there. It just looks so unappealing. From street it looks like animal cages. Maybe next trip. Not always open. Were you the only people there for dinner?
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Gutside - 03/31/2023 12:12 PM

There are no animal cages or animals at Gutside. But it IS named after it's location.

Re: Gutside - 03/31/2023 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by jeepers
I think the name came because the big trench behind restaurant is called a gut.
We stay 2 minutes walk from there. It just looks so unappealing. From street it looks like animal cages. Maybe next trip. Not always open. Were you the only people there for dinner?

Jeepers the place was packed.
Posted By: islandgem

Re: Gutside - 04/04/2023 04:58 AM

Ruby Bute is Richard's Aunt, not his Mother. I stated he is her nephew.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline