TravelTalkOnline

Amore or Astra

Posted By: SXMScubaman

Amore or Astra - 05/24/2023 11:56 AM

Trying to decide where to have dinner tonight for my 76th BD. Need first hand reviews. Haven't been to either one before. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Amore or Astra - 05/24/2023 12:00 PM

I have not been to Amore so I cannot comment but last year Astra was ok, this year it was very lacking in service and food. I would not recommend Astra and I doubt I will return. Happy birthday.

We took my local friend to Chesterfield's for his birthday in March. They did a really nice job; the food was very good and very reasonable. I know it is not in your area but I was very pleased with it.
Posted By: ndfaninnc

Re: Amore or Astra - 05/24/2023 12:02 PM

Happy Birthday Scubaman!!
Posted By: Whale Tail

Re: Amore or Astra - 05/24/2023 12:25 PM

Happy Birthday Scuba. We have not been to Amore, yet. We have been to Astra and were not impressed, so it was one and done for us.
Posted By: snuba

Re: Amore or Astra - 05/24/2023 12:30 PM

Happy Birthday Scuba! Went to Astra with friends last November and everybody was underwhelmed with their meals. Service was OK but food was just a little bit less than “just OK”. Probably won’t go back any time soon.
Posted By: kim

Re: Amore or Astra - 05/24/2023 01:00 PM

Happy Birthday. I went to Amore and was underwhelmed. Not awful but so many other restaurants to choose from. My go to for a special night is LaCigale in Nettle Bay. Make a reservation for 20 minutes before sunset! They can be spectacular from the location!

Attached picture IMG_1392_Original.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_1391_Original.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_1390_Original.jpeg

Re: Amore or Astra - 05/24/2023 01:32 PM

Thanks for the Birthday wishes. Looking like Astra is off the choice list. Need more input on Amore.
Posted By: lcote

Re: Amore or Astra - 05/24/2023 02:27 PM

I will say that we were not impressed with the service at Astra either. I know you said it was off the list but I figured I would add my 2 cents.
Posted By: pat

Re: Amore or Astra - 05/24/2023 02:30 PM

Happy a happy birthday, Scuba!
As well as you know the island, I’d suggest you opt for one of the ‘sure thing’ places for a special evening. As Kim suggested, Le Cigale, many of the GC options or, closer to where you stay, LeMoulin Fou or possibly Sublime or make a sunset reservation for the new place everyone’s raving about near Orange Grove. Sorry, the name escapes me at the moment. Bamboo maybe?
Sounds like both Astra and Amore might or might not be the best choices for a special occasion.

Re: Amore or Astra - 05/24/2023 03:10 PM

pat, I think you are thinking about Bamboo House?

BAMBOO HOUSE

Re: Amore or Astra - 05/24/2023 03:34 PM

Thanks. After 76 birthdays, I'm not really looking for a big celebration, just being in St Maarten is my treat. Just wanted to try something new and just detest driving to GC and back at night. I've had too many 2 wheeler encounters on that stretch of road.
Posted By: eilandmens

Re: Amore or Astra - 05/24/2023 03:49 PM

Both are owned by the same person. My experiences with Astra have been negative. Went there the first year they were open, had fish came out cold then overcooked after my complaint. Second time September 2022, veal chop, huge but tasteless. Went to Amore in April this year. Very pretty place, had fettuccine Alfredo very good so was my wife pasta dish which forget what it was. Watch the wine by the glass expensive.
Posted By: pat

Re: Amore or Astra - 05/24/2023 03:50 PM

Yes - the Bamboo House for sure, and Scuba, you might take a taxi to GC. We used that mode for a trip to P’berg last trip and we’re quite surprised at how reasonable and easy the driver made it..
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Amore or Astra - 05/24/2023 04:53 PM

Scuba--you might check out this thread, which has some mentions of Amore.

Link

For a special occasion, I'd be more likely to choose someplace I have liked before, like Moulin Fou or Sublime, or a place that gets mostly excellent reviews, like Bamboo House.
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Amore or Astra - 05/24/2023 05:17 PM

We had really enjoyed Astra in past years, but agree that our visit there this past November was underwhelming at best. Can't speak to Amore, as we haven't been there. Another vote for Bamboo House.
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: Amore or Astra - 05/24/2023 05:45 PM

A very happy birthday to you, Scubaman! Hope you enjoy wherever you go.
Posted By: SXMBND

Re: Amore or Astra - 05/24/2023 05:55 PM

One and done with Astra for me.

Re: Amore or Astra - 05/24/2023 06:09 PM

Thanks for that link. I remember it well.

Re: Amore or Astra - 05/24/2023 06:41 PM

Same owner as Avantika? Sadly, it seems not all of their restaurants are managed the same.
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Amore or Astra - 05/24/2023 08:38 PM

Young Indian Son that doesn't have the full knowledge of doing some much kind of business.

Re: Amore or Astra - 05/24/2023 09:52 PM

We are going to Amore at 7 tonight. Menu looks great. Hope food and service is too.🤞
Posted By: JohnW

Re: Amore or Astra - 05/24/2023 10:30 PM

Happy birthday SXMScubaman! I've been reading your posts while you've been on the island and looking at the photos you have posted and... not sure how to say this but... you and your lovely wife don't look that age at all. I think you have one of the digits wrong in it. Hope your birthday dinner is great!

Re: Amore or Astra - 05/24/2023 10:51 PM

Oh no. Digits are right. Surface is better than the iner self. 😆 At least for me. My wife same in and out. Married for 52 soon to be 53. Met at college. Best education you can have.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Amore or Astra - 05/24/2023 11:02 PM

Hope the evening is good for you.
Posted By: Whale Tail

Re: Amore or Astra - 05/24/2023 11:02 PM

52 years Scubaman clapping
Posted By: CaribbeanCanadians

Re: Amore or Astra - 05/24/2023 11:05 PM

Happy birthday Scubaman. I spent my 70th birthday this past December in St. Maarten, You can't beat it. All the best.

Re: Amore or Astra - 05/24/2023 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Kennys
Young Indian Son that doesn't have the full knowledge of doing some much kind of business.

Then, he should not be in business.

Re: Amore or Astra - 05/25/2023 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Whale Tail
52 years Scubaman clapping

I'm lucky she puts up with me.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline