TravelTalkOnline

We have arrived!

Posted By: Carol_Hill

We have arrived! - 06/10/2023 06:20 PM

So, we have arrived in paradise!

As is the case with pretty much anyone, lots of c*ap needs to be done before one can enjoy paradise, and this trip was no exception! Fortunately, a couple of things at my office that I had been worried about for a while got resolved, right before we left, so I think I will finally be able to relax, now that we are here!! clapping

Nowadays, we normally drive 3.5 hours one way to Miami for the AA non-stop. We had originally booked the later flight from Miami, (way back last fall) and then AA cancelled that later flight, so we were left on the 10:30 AM flight, which meant we had to get up at 3 AM for the drive. Yay. Not.

Anyway, after dropping our car at Park and Fly in Miami, which I can't recommend enough, we proceeded to the airport. In a lovely change since the lessening of Covid, we were able to check our suitcase outside (AA only, I think/?) which was a nice change. Thereafter, we suffered the indignities of Miami Airport, Including their horrific breakfast options. Our flight boarded on time, but unfortunately we sat on the plane for 40 minutes waiting to take off, due to weather.

Eventually we took off, and ultimately arrived about 20 minutes late. Our flight was totally full. There were no forms to fill out, pre-entry, and just have to state orally where you are going to stay. Once again, I enjoyed totally lovely wheechair service in SXM, in Miami, not horrible, but not great either.

We met our guy from AAA for our rental car for the 10 days, and enjoyed a talk with a fellow AAA customer, who was there for a long weekend, whose 'regular' job is working as a professional diver.

Eventually, we arrived at Beachside Villas. Based on the past week or so, I was worried what we would find when we arrived, as far as seaweed. Thankfully, the beach was basically clear, and the rainbow was an excellent sign!!

[Linked Image]

We headed out to Carrefour by Mark's to get some supplies and scored some pre-seasoned ribs, which we cooked on the grill for dinner. Dinner was ribs and baked potatoes, followed closely by bed at 8 PM.

Saturday came somewhat early, and looking out the sliders, there was a tremendous relief, looking at a basically clear beach!

[Linked Image]

We headed out to Super U for some wine and wine glasses and some other items we had missed yesterday. We managed to score some lamb chops, so that will be dinner this evening. After, we headed to the Greenhouse for lunch. Overall, not a great experience, but good enough.

[Linked Image]

Due to not knowing what the situation will be with Driftwood this evening, we are in the for the evening, which isn't a bad thing at all.
Posted By: Dutchman

Re: We have arrived! - 06/10/2023 07:00 PM

Glad you got there ... now it's time relax and enjoy your vacation smile

Re: We have arrived! - 06/10/2023 07:19 PM

Thanks! We will!
Posted By: FatCat04

Re: We have arrived! - 06/10/2023 07:19 PM

I hope you have a wonderful time.. and wish I was there myself. Enjoy all that lovely beach, food, wine, and relaxation.
Posted By: gomer36

Re: We have arrived! - 06/10/2023 07:36 PM

Glad you made it! The baton is passed. We're sitting at the bar in departures waiting for our flight to be called. Listening to the anoun ements for both Miami and Charlotte AA departures way overbooked..looking for volunteers.

Enjoy your stay! We had a great time as always.
Posted By: lhbsurf

Re: We have arrived! - 06/10/2023 07:37 PM

Yay! Glad you made it... we enjoyed the beautiful rainbow last evening as well!

Re: We have arrived! - 06/10/2023 08:48 PM

gomer--were you here?
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: We have arrived! - 06/10/2023 08:49 PM

I saw you leaving the plane as we were to get on as soon as luggage was off loaded and reloaded. Rain started right after we got on the plane which was parked right next to the gate so nn bus for us coming or going this trip.

Re: We have arrived! - 06/10/2023 08:52 PM

Sprinkles kind of on and off here yesterday afternoon.
Posted By: Biturbo

Re: We have arrived! - 06/10/2023 09:11 PM

We'll be driving 4.5 hours to Miami and using the same parking (at your recommendation). Direct non-stops from Tampa are too few to make it work. Hopefully no delay or cancellation. I did notice that red wine was included in your supplies. Enjoy.

Re: We have arrived! - 06/10/2023 09:39 PM

Biturbo--I really can't recommend Park N Fly enough. This time we actually had to wait--probably 3 or 4 minutes--for a shuttle bus from the parking lot to the airport. That was a first! Normally there is a shuttle bus sitting there when we pull up. And I am always so impressed with how quickly they show up at the airport when you come home. I hate waiting around for a shuttle bus to get back to my car at the end.
Posted By: jollymonsrv

Re: We have arrived! - 06/10/2023 09:44 PM

Enjoy and more pice please
Posted By: jomarc

Re: We have arrived! - 06/10/2023 10:16 PM

Have a wonderful trip you two. Happy Anniversary!

Looking forward to reading about your adventures.

Re: We have arrived! - 06/10/2023 10:17 PM

Will post some more pics tomorrow.
Posted By: jomarc

Re: We have arrived! - 06/10/2023 10:21 PM

Have a wonderful trip you two. Happy Anniversary!

Looking forward to reading about your adventures.

Re: We have arrived! - 06/10/2023 10:47 PM

Thanks much!
Posted By: Kennys

Re: We have arrived! - 06/10/2023 11:21 PM

Happy Anniversary ! Do enjoy your vacation.
Posted By: Leagle49

Re: We have arrived! - 06/11/2023 11:15 AM

Glad you made it! Looking forward to lots of pictures with your trip reports.

Re: We have arrived! - 06/11/2023 12:22 PM

We'll try!
Posted By: pasnyder

Re: We have arrived! - 06/11/2023 12:43 PM

I just saw this today online!! https://airwaysmag.com/frontier-airlines-orlando-st-maarten/
Posted By: daily2

Re: We have arrived! - 06/11/2023 01:22 PM

Glad you made it safely! That rainbow is a great sign of a wonderful vacation to come. Enjoy. 20 more days for me.
Posted By: fabila

Re: We have arrived! - 06/11/2023 01:45 PM

Enjoy your vacation. What situation is at Driftwood?

Re: We have arrived! - 06/11/2023 02:24 PM

Louise--not sure what you mean about Driftwood. That was supposed to be last night. We stayed in, worried that people would clog up the road.

Re: We have arrived! - 06/11/2023 02:27 PM

pasnyder--I posted that a few days ago. I doubt we will be taking Frontier.
Posted By: fabila

Re: We have arrived! - 06/11/2023 02:50 PM

Got it. Wasn’t sure if it was something else related to Driftwood. We go often so was asking.
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: We have arrived! - 06/11/2023 03:35 PM

Welcome home!

Re: We have arrived! - 06/11/2023 03:38 PM

I was told by another visitor, but haven't seen anything in print to confirm, that Bankie Banxx (sp?) was performing at Driftwood at 6 PM last night for $25 per head. I was driving to Roma around 7:15 and didn't see or hear anything that would confirm that.

Re: We have arrived! - 06/11/2023 04:03 PM

LInda--Huh. It was supposed to be $15 a person, and there were 4 people supposed to perform, including Connis. I wonder whehter it happened or not.

Re: We have arrived! - 06/11/2023 05:15 PM

Just repeating what I was told, which I guess I shouldn't have done.

Re: We have arrived! - 06/11/2023 07:05 PM

I don't know anything about it either, other than what I saw online.
Posted By: MotownTim

Re: We have arrived! - 06/12/2023 12:48 PM

According to my bartender friend it happened. No details.

Re: We have arrived! - 06/12/2023 02:10 PM

OK, let me know if you hear anything else. Can't have been much of a crowd.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline