TravelTalkOnline

Summer Reading

Posted By: sxmmartini

Summer Reading - 07/21/2023 04:52 PM

Reading some books from my library with Caribbean themes. Anyone have suggestions on good books to read?
Posted By: taraavo

Re: Summer Reading - 07/21/2023 05:18 PM

For easy fiction / quick beach or poolside reads, Elin Hilderbrand's "Paradise" series comes to mind. In order - Winter in Paradise, What Happens in Paradise, and Trouble in Paradise. They mostly take place on St. John.
Posted By: cmh2sxm

Re: Summer Reading - 07/21/2023 05:54 PM

Two old time favorites are Don't Stop the Carnival by Herman Wouk and Gone Bamboo by Anthony Bourdain. Gone Bamboo is set in St. Maarten in the Dawn Beach area.
Posted By: CrazyCanuxx

Re: Summer Reading - 07/21/2023 11:57 PM

I was introduced to this book on ttol about a decade ago... i liked the escapism so much, i read it twice. added bonus: recipes.

from amazon about sailing south to Grenada.

An Embarrassment of Mangoes is a delicious chronicle of leaving the type-A lifestyle behind -- and discovering the seductive secrets of life in the Caribbean. Who hasn't fantasized about chucking the job, saying goodbye to the rat race, and escaping to some exotic destination in search of sun, sand, and a different way of life?
Posted By: StMartinFan

Re: Summer Reading - 07/22/2023 01:42 AM

A Trip to the Beach by Robert and Melinda Blanchard, about moving to Anguilla from Vermont and creating their restaurant.
Posted By: WWII

Re: Summer Reading - 07/22/2023 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by CrazyCanuxx
I was introduced to this book on ttol about a decade ago... i liked the escapism so much, i read it twice. added bonus: recipes.

from amazon about sailing south to Grenada.

An Embarrassment of Mangoes is a delicious chronicle of leaving the type-A lifestyle behind -- and discovering the seductive secrets of life in the Caribbean. Who hasn't fantasized about chucking the job, saying goodbye to the rat race, and escaping to some exotic destination in search of sun, sand, and a different way of life?

Enjoyed this read also. I also like Carl Hiaasen's works.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline