TravelTalkOnline

French side shooting...

Posted By: bdeeley

French side shooting... - 07/31/2023 02:54 AM

Another shooting took place on Sunday morning, on the French side, in the area of the French quarter. One death and possibly others wounded.

French side shooting
Posted By: Kennys

Re: French side shooting... - 07/31/2023 04:33 AM

Yes very tragic and sad . Prayers .
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: French side shooting... - 07/31/2023 01:23 PM

I can't find the link to it now, but there was also apparently a shooting at Sunset parking lot over the weekend. Apparently someone shot, but no fatalities, thank goodness.
Posted By: Kennys

Re: French side shooting... - 07/31/2023 01:58 PM

But they broke the barrier while rushing out .

Re: French side shooting... - 07/31/2023 02:29 PM

Below is a link to the shooting in Beacon Hill.

Beacon Hill shooting - link
Posted By: foreversxm

Re: French side shooting... - 07/31/2023 02:34 PM

Headline in the SXM morning paper today....."ONE DEAD IN FRENCH QUARTER SHOOTING". Another one dead on the French side. Out of concern A local businessman rightly spoke out about the increasing violence in Grand Case and some residences and local business owners pushed back. I wound not go to that area at night NO WAY. So many other places that are much safer to eat out at. To me the problem is real on the French side, always something wrong going on. The Gendarmes have their hands full with ever increasing aggression from mainly and out of control and often violent youth. Look at Sandy Ground. The Police don't seem to have control or almost afraid to stop them, if they can. It's not easy I am sure to fix, hopefully something will be done or thier further as a tourist spot will suffer. Tourism is very fragile business and needs to be protected because SXM has NOTHING else to feed them!

Re: French side shooting... - 07/31/2023 02:49 PM

bdeeley--thanks

Re: French side shooting... - 07/31/2023 02:53 PM

Stupid question, as I should know this--where is French Quarter?
Posted By: Bahston

Re: French side shooting... - 07/31/2023 03:07 PM

French Quarter is Quartier d’Orleans,

Re: French side shooting... - 07/31/2023 03:09 PM

duh OK, I knew I should have known that. Thanks.

Re: French side shooting... - 07/31/2023 03:45 PM

see map

Description: French Quarter
Attached picture Screen Shot 2023-07-31 at 11.40.22 AM.png

Re: French side shooting... - 07/31/2023 03:58 PM

Once they said Orleans, I knew exactly where it is. Just forgot, I guess.
Posted By: EdB

Re: French side shooting... - 08/01/2023 01:40 AM

So, if my counting is correct....there were three seperate gun related shootings over this last weekend. Beacon Hill, French Quarter and also Grand Case. On another group posing there was an article that they will be opening another police sub station in Grand Case, with twenty new officers present. I had no idea about this recent crime wave going on currently. I surely hope that they can get this under control quickly, before the tourist industry tanks. What has happened to our favorite place? I hope this is only temporary.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: French side shooting... - 08/01/2023 02:45 AM

Lots of shootings when guns aren't allowed.
Posted By: mahokid

Re: French side shooting... - 08/01/2023 03:26 PM

Yes on that "other" site it was mentioned that his son and friends were robbed at gunpoint in Grand case and that were savy and aware of their situation fromliving in Brooklyn, NY

These robberies happen and shootings happen every day in Philadelphia although I would believe most of the shootings are turf related and not usually on an unknown victim or over a dispute

A local TV newscaster was assaulted down the Jersey shore this past weekend, crime does happen everywhere

our outlook is to park as close to the restaurants in Grand Case, be aware and do not hang in any place where there are large groups of people since SXM crime reports a argument begins and one person comes back with a gun

The end down near Rainbow seems to be a problem area at night
Posted By: CanuckTravlr

Re: French side shooting... - 08/05/2023 04:22 PM

Yes, this is very disturbing, but it is happening all over the world. It now seems that some youth, especially if they are involved in gangs, think it is much "cooler", and certainly much easier, to resovle a dispute or a "disrespect", with a gun rather than with their fists or just "talking it out". It's unfortunate, but that is part of our current reality. I do hope that both the Dutch police and French gendarmes are able to keep a lid on it, or eventually tourism may suffer.

And I don't think it has anything to do with whether guns are or aren't allowed. The statistics clearly show that the incidence of gun violence is generally even higher where guns are more readly available. So while the guns are an exacerbating factor, I don't think that is the root cause of the violence.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline