TravelTalkOnline

Tipgate

Posted By: MotownTim

Tipgate - 11/15/2023 08:26 PM

The fun continues. Just stopped by La Main de la Pate (sp) in Marigot after a little shopping because we saw they had mussels and mussels are always on our bucket list when we come to SXM. Had our bucket of mussels and received the bill which stated “The tip is not included in the bill (smiley face).” Oh yes it is. It always is. Left the amount on the bill and no more. We probably would have left an extra few euros if they were honest. I guess we looked like tourists. Anyway, that’s my last comment on the tipping situation on both sides of the border.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Tipgate - 11/15/2023 08:38 PM

Good for you, Tim!
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Tipgate - 11/15/2023 11:19 PM

A good way to handle it.
Posted By: cruzer

Re: Tipgate - 11/15/2023 11:54 PM

Our experience from October on the French side was that around 25% of the restaurants have this notice. I just assume it is referring to the pourboire, which is a true statement, although intentionally misleading, IMO. If it's not printed on the menu, i don't add it. Only Yvettes claims it on their menu and I believe them.

Re: Tipgate - 11/16/2023 12:07 AM

Semantics. I would have loved to see the checks of all the French people that were dining there with us. They are not going for the pourboire. They are going for the 20% on top of the service charge.
Posted By: cruzer

Re: Tipgate - 11/16/2023 12:23 AM

Which is why I said it's intentionally misleading.

Re: Tipgate - 11/16/2023 12:30 AM

I agree.
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Tipgate - 11/16/2023 01:12 AM

This is why it's so important to understand the difference between the meaning of "tip" and "service". In France, the "tip" is never included. The "service" always is. Unfortunately many Americans don't know the difference.
Posted By: NudeinNorthFL

Re: Tipgate - 11/16/2023 01:16 AM

Correct move. Ridiculous on their part. Livable wage + service charge = no tip most of the time.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Tipgate - 11/16/2023 03:39 AM

Hahaha. I knew you'd be back posting on this. 😁
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline