TravelTalkOnline

La Samanna

Posted By: MotownTim

La Samanna - 11/27/2023 07:01 PM

Does La Samanna permit people off the street to go in for a cocktail? Or do you have to be staying at the resort? Thought it might be nice to see how the other half lives.
Posted By: The_Lurker

Re: La Samanna - 11/27/2023 08:58 PM

I heard that you can go in for dinner.
I'd send them a message ......
Posted By: Kennys

Re: La Samanna - 11/27/2023 08:58 PM

No problem entering , enjoy .
Plus Dino Jagtaini our personal friend , the former Owner and Chef for Temptations Restaurant is the main Chef there too.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: La Samanna - 11/27/2023 11:39 PM

I believe there is a dress code to adhere to.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: La Samanna - 11/28/2023 01:27 AM

Yes, they do accept outside folks, I hear. I had heard that Dino is there now. I would give them a call and see what to expect. Years ago, the prices were supposed to be stupid expensive, but perhaps you can find some prices online now.

If you go, would appreciate a report! smile

Re: La Samanna - 11/28/2023 01:36 AM

We were there many years ago and yes very expensive lol.
Posted By: pat

Re: La Samanna - 11/28/2023 01:36 AM

We went there once for brunch and I’ve never forgotten the experience. Two coffees, two ojs and two croissants which were all very good but I was glad we’d already had breakfast. All this for the princely sum of forty dollars. This was about 1973 or ‘74. First and last time there……..🙂🙂
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: La Samanna - 11/28/2023 10:36 AM

There is a link on their website to menus with prices. Not inexpensive but not totally off the charts either. Appetizers seemed to be high but $55 for beef tenderloin is not too far off. No idea how current the prices are.

LaSamana
Posted By: MotownTim

Re: La Samanna - 11/28/2023 10:53 AM

Thanks for the info. We are just interested in having a drink there. Do they let you park inside the resort?

Re: La Samanna - 11/28/2023 11:20 AM

Sorry, I have no idea on that.
Posted By: Phyllis

Re: La Samanna - 11/28/2023 11:28 AM

We were on island in July and wanted to do just that, go in for a drink, and got turned away at the gate. Will continue to enjoy the many other beautiful establishments.
Posted By: lhbsurf

Re: La Samanna - 11/28/2023 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by MotownTim
Thanks for the info. We are just interested in having a drink there. Do they let you park inside the resort?

We did not try it, but we stayed in a Villa at Terra Basses and the owner suggested we park at the public access and walk up the beach and go to the bar at La Samana for a cocktail at Sunset. Apparently it used to be acceptable... this advice was given February 2023.

We did have lunch there a couple of years ago, it was pretty good, but expensive. They let us through the gate, but we had reservations.
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: La Samanna - 11/29/2023 03:50 AM

I don't know about parking or just a drink, but an island resident whose food opinions I respect thinks the restaurant is wonderful.
Posted By: kim

Re: La Samanna - 11/29/2023 12:43 PM

Of course you can - it’s a hotel/resort like any other. Beautiful view. Went for drinks last year - truly amazing time. Parking is easily available as you drive in. You can go for dinner as well. And rent cabanas for the day - pricey but looks fabulous.

Attached picture IMG_8200_Original.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_8201_Original.jpeg

Re: La Samanna - 11/29/2023 01:57 PM

JD--agreed, the prices for the starters seem high but the mains aren't totally out of whack. But I wonder how current that is, as it talks about 'two Michelin star chef' Marcel Ravin. I know Dino WAS there, maybe he's gone already? Or that is old info on the website?

Re: La Samanna - 11/29/2023 02:01 PM

No idea. Perhaps he is not the main chef?

Re: La Samanna - 11/29/2023 02:02 PM

Don't know. The menu online does not mention Dino at all, which I find odd, if he is still there.

Re: La Samanna - 11/29/2023 02:04 PM

It may well by outdated.

Re: La Samanna - 11/29/2023 02:05 PM

Could be.

Re: La Samanna - 11/29/2023 02:18 PM

Dino is there as Executive Chef since February 2023.

Re: La Samanna - 11/29/2023 02:21 PM

Lesley--OK.
Posted By: islandgem

Re: La Samanna - 11/29/2023 04:42 PM

In the past, I have never had a problem going there for food or drinks. If you are dressed appropriately, they usually let you in with no problem.
Posted By: gomer36

Re: La Samanna - 11/29/2023 04:58 PM

I would think you should be able, as their restaurant L'Oursin is available to book on the Open Table app. The number of SXM restaurants using the app has almost doubled since June from what I can see. Easy to book many of our favorites with just a few clicks. Lets you send a note, table preference or let them know of a special occasion, etc. Pretty handy. Restaurants on Anguilla and St. Barts pop up on the list, so be careful if you check it out and book.

I've also read that La Samanna has quietly joined a few of the "Day Pass" sites, that allow you to book a day resort pass at some of the best resorts in the Caribbean. La Samanna limits the number they sell to just a few so not to impact the staying guests. resortpass.com and resortforaday.com are just two of the sites.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline