TravelTalkOnline

Trip Post - Our Day in St. Barths

Posted By: Teresasxm

Trip Post - Our Day in St. Barths - 12/03/2023 06:42 PM

“Spend the money- take the trip.“ I’ve added one more line to this saying, “Make it an adventure!” For over 20 years Gary and I have tried to get to St. Barthelemy. This year we screwed up the courage, got on the little plane, rented the pretty convertible and had a fabulous adventure.

We drove all over this picturesque island, went up and down the winding hills, saw some nice beaches and had a lobster sandwich that cost as much as two days groceries at home. But we’re so glad we did it.

Thanks to the wonderful people on TTOL for helping us make the most of our day. We rented from Top Loc, had lunch at a restaurant on St Jean Beach, flew Winair out of PJIA because the timing was better for us than the St Barthes Commuter and tried to prepare as best as we could for the skinny, winding roads. Thanks for the heads up but the roads were crazy, scary in places. When I think back- I’m still holding my breath and hanging onto the steering wheel with a death grip! LOL

Attached picture IMG_2955.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_2964.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_2968.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_2978.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_2987.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_3046.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_2989.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_3053.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_3008.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_3086.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_3075.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_3100.jpeg
Posted By: kim

Re: Trip Post - Our Day in St. Barths - 12/03/2023 07:22 PM

So many naysayers about going over. It is a fabulous adventure!!! Glad you enjoyed it!!!
Posted By: Whale Tail

Re: Trip Post - Our Day in St. Barths - 12/04/2023 12:08 AM

Teresasxm Couldn't agree more. We've done that day trip from Grand Case and sat right behind the pilot. How did you like that big dip down to the runway? That day trip gave us memories we won't be forgetting soon.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Trip Post - Our Day in St. Barths - 12/04/2023 12:42 AM

We've been to St. Barts on the ferry. Need to do the plane trip!! Thanks for the pics!
Posted By: pat

Re: Trip Post - Our Day in St. Barths - 12/04/2023 01:20 AM

We went the first time many, many many years ago via a smaller cat. I loved it but many on board - not so much. We made that trip a few times until we graduated to the Soualiga II, a much bigger and more powerful boat but still a rough ride over but delightful coming back. We finally graduated to flying which is a beautiful experience in itself. The landing on St.Barths can be very interesting.
I would suggest everyone should go at least once if time and finances allow but if you have any possible issues with the much dreaded mal de mer, FLY OVER. Don’t sail.
Another strong recommendation is fly from L’Esperance as opposed to from PJIA. I haven’t done that trip but I have it on very good authority it’s an easier day all around..
Posted By: kim

Re: Trip Post - Our Day in St. Barths - 12/04/2023 02:10 AM

Much easier! 😀. France to France to simplify things. Cost was always less. But I haven’t checked Win-Air in ages. Never know now!!
Posted By: IslandBoi

Re: Trip Post - Our Day in St. Barths - 12/04/2023 03:32 AM

we have flown in the past, but lately we actually prefer taking the Great Bay Express out of Philipsburg...less than an hour crossing, and because of the larger boat, the ride isn't bad at all (especially compared to the Edge out of Simpson Bay)...plus because we go for more than a day trip, we take more stuff with us and the ferry terminal is much easier to deal with than an airport

we started off with day trips, then a night or two, now we split out time between SXM and SBH...for us a trip to SXM wouldn't be complete without time on SBH, but we also wouldn't want to skip SXM altogether umbrella
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline