TravelTalkOnline

Karakters Update

Posted By: Whale Tail

Karakters Update - 12/15/2023 02:37 AM

We did a Simpson Bay walk today. Last I heard tomorrow Dec 15th was supposed to be the opening, NOT going to happen. Surprise Surprise. They are making progress and a worker on site said Dec 21st will be the opening?? Ok sure. Mean while the Dinghy's Beach Bar seems to be busier every time we go, we park there and then go for our walk. Saturday Alfredo and his band are playing there and should be a good time.

Attached picture 20231214_140418.jpg
Attached picture 20231214_140624.jpg
Attached picture 20231214_140730.jpg
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Karakters Update - 12/15/2023 10:38 AM

Perhaps the same people are in charge at Karakter that are in charge and doing the airport!
Posted By: Colour1

Re: Karakters Update - 12/15/2023 12:19 PM

SOOOO?? They did away with the bus???
Posted By: bdeeley

Re: Karakters Update - 12/15/2023 12:59 PM

Bus is still there, it's visible in the first picture.
Posted By: foreversxm

Re: Karakters Update - 12/15/2023 01:31 PM

I think if they are legal to build anything that Bus is what is keeping them ok with Gov, has to be movable. As I heard gov not giving permits to permanent structures but then its who you know. Any real progress is good on SXM and if they don't open until next month still lots of high season money to come. Hopefully the parking is not still an issue and the food and service is good. Lots of yellow umbrellas down the beach so someone is busy and people relaxing. Really wish them luck...lots of good beach bar options now.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Karakters Update - 12/15/2023 02:07 PM

Sure looks like a long way away yet, to me.
Posted By: lcote

Re: Karakters Update - 12/16/2023 10:20 PM

They are advertising heavily on the radio for a December opening
Posted By: Colour1

Re: Karakters Update - 12/17/2023 10:32 AM

Had to reopen it and take a closer look. Thanks!!
Didn't they have a problem years ago??? They built this deck structure and the government told them to take it down!! Then they built the old deck back. What's to say that this won't happen again!! Just because you build something bigger doesn't mean you'll make more money! That parking lot isn't that big!!!!
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Karakters Update - 12/17/2023 12:30 PM

At the yacht club on our last day, we overheard a couple saying that they were getting married at Karakter on the 21st. Sure hope that happens for them!
Posted By: Whale Tail

Re: Karakters Update - 12/17/2023 12:37 PM

Oh Oh! As if a bride doesn't have enough to worry about. I wish them all the best.
Posted By: foreversxm

Re: Karakters Update - 12/17/2023 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Colour1
Had to reopen it and take a closer look. Thanks!!
Didn't they have a problem years ago??? They built this deck structure and the government told them to take it down!! Then they built the old deck back. What's to say that this won't happen again!! Just because you build something bigger doesn't mean you'll make more money! That parking lot isn't that big!!!!

Pretty easy to see that Karakters is grossly encroaching onto public beach and has been for years and don't care. Gov came and and did tear down part of if but did not finish the job. Definitely they have created a big parking hazard with not enough and down that narrow road hard to get vehicles in and out. I remember last year some emergency there and the ambulance had a very blocked road, I have seen arguments and dented cars and towed cards due to the narrow road and limited parking. Then it goes all the way into the neighborhood blocking driveway and they get pissed off. It gets ugly at times. To be fair parking on SXM is a problem LOTS of places. My bet is they will have at least a soft open on the 21st ....ready or not.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Karakters Update - 12/17/2023 07:15 PM

Hope everything turns out for the happy couple. But they could actually get married on the beach there, even if the restaurant is not open yet.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline