TravelTalkOnline

This and that

Posted By: taraavo

This and that - 01/23/2024 03:39 PM

Yesterday we really enjoyed beach time at Dinghy’s. It was very windy but the water was great. I thought the beach service was excellent. Several times Riley our atttendant adjusted our cabana canopy due to wind. The rum punch was delicious and when we were done we walked up to the restaurant for lunch. I had a Buffalo chicken salad but turned into a grilled wrap with truffle fries. We also had chicken Caesar wrap and the ribs / creole rice plate. All were quite good for a lunch. I’d go back here if I planned more beach time or just to hang out for drinks. Wouldn’t go JUST for the food.

Happy hour at La Playa is our new favorite this trip. It has the best vibe and the bartender who I think everyone calls GP makes great drinks. He does old fashioneds in a way I’ve never had and wasn’t sure I would like but they’re quite good. He also makes a nice martini.

Our dinner at L’Atier was excellent. My husband claims it was his favorite meal he’s ever had on the island. They specialize in the finest imported butcher cuts. We ordered a lot of food but there were three of us at this meal (we are traveling with a family member ). Foi Gras appetizer, bruschetta with prosciutto, lamb entree, a French beef cut similiar to a NY strip, and I ordered the best duck I can remember having. The fat was rendered perfectly. Sides were truffle risotto, mashed potatoes, and pasta. Dessert was rum creme brûlée and apple tart. After some great cocktails at the bar we managed to meander home.

More to come.

Description: Buffalo chicken wrap and truffle fries
Attached picture IMG_5228.jpeg

Description: La Playa sunset
Attached picture IMG_5230.jpeg

Description: La Playa martini
Attached picture IMG_5229.jpeg

Description: L’Atelier duck
Attached picture IMG_5237.jpeg

Description: L’Atelier rum creme brûlée
Attached picture IMG_5238.jpeg

Description: L’Atelier menu
Attached picture IMG_5231.jpeg

Description: L’Atelier prosciutto and mushroom bruschetta
Attached picture Resized_20240122_183625_1705963870287.jpeg

Description: La Playa espresso martini
Attached picture Resized_20240122_165936_1705973795896.jpeg
Posted By: lcote

Re: This and that - 01/23/2024 03:41 PM

So, I have to ask. Was the Truffle risotto with ACTUAL truffles? Or was it truffle oil?

Re: This and that - 01/23/2024 04:08 PM

I don’t recall seeing truffle SHAVINGS as I didn’t order it but I did taste the dish and it did not have that chemical taste that “truffle” oil often has. Given the extreme high quality of the other ingredients and dishes, I would be surprised if he’s not infusing the three truffle sides on the menu with actual truffle.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: This and that - 01/23/2024 04:10 PM

Food looks very good. Thanks for posting the menu at L’Atelier. I have to say, especially since I assume the menu is in Euro, it seems kind of expensive.

Re: This and that - 01/23/2024 04:14 PM

It was a, if not THE splurge of the trip for sure Carol. But everything was so good, the food, ambience, service. The owner personally presents and explains the menu to each table. It was a definite treat.
Posted By: StMartinFan

Re: This and that - 01/23/2024 04:25 PM

Thanks for sharing your experiences. We're already booked for 2 weeks on the Dutch side this year but thinking we’ll have to do one week by Orient next year. Your descriptions make it very appealing.

Re: This and that - 01/23/2024 04:32 PM

taraavo--glad you enjoyed it.
Posted By: RonDon

Re: This and that - 01/23/2024 07:55 PM

where is A'tler?

Re: This and that - 01/23/2024 08:30 PM

RonDon--not sure exactly where, but pretty sure it is in the square at Orient Village.

Re: This and that - 01/23/2024 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by RonDon
where is A'tler?

L’Atelier is in the back corner of the Orient Village restaurant area. Definitely email a reservation and he will confirm with you the day prior.
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: This and that - 01/23/2024 09:25 PM

Yes, the bartender at La Playa is GP, which is short for Guy Pierre, and he makes fabulous cocktails. He had his own little bar at Kakao for years before Irma. Tell him that Georgia said to make you a Caipirinha.

We're spending two nights at La Playa in November, before our timeshare weeks, so hearing about the restaurants in the village is definitely of interest to us. Thanks for the reviews and pictures!!

Re: This and that - 01/24/2024 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by GaKaye
Yes, the bartender at La Playa is GP, which is short for Guy Pierre, and he makes fabulous cocktails. He had his own little bar at Kakao for years before Irma. Tell him that Georgia said to make you a Caipirinha.

We're spending two nights at La Playa in November, before our timeshare weeks, so hearing about the restaurants in the village is definitely of interest to us. Thanks for the reviews and pictures!!

Thanks Georgia for confirming his name ! I’ll be sure to mention you tomorrow. He has proven to be a real treat while we’ve witnessed others thinking him a sourpuss. Tonight he came out of the bar to serve us personally even though there were servers. A definite repeat for future trips for us. Also had a great spa experience at La Playa today.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline