TravelTalkOnline

Trip Report Day 4 & 5

Posted By: lhbsurf

Trip Report Day 4 & 5 - 02/27/2024 08:14 AM

Our 4th day was a trip to Friar's Bay and lunch at Friar's Bay Beach Club. The water was so calm it looked like a swimming pool. It felt hotter today and we later discovered that it was higher humidity and the haze we noticed in the air was due to Sahara Dust. Lunch was good - my husband had a cheeseburger and fries and I had the stuffed mussels. We shared my favorite dessert, the coconut ice cream with warm chocolate sauce. We went to Long Bay for the sunset, which was pretty much a bust due to clouds (or maybe the dust? I'm not sure) blocking the horizon. It was still a beautiful walk. Dinner was charcuterie at the condo with the desserts we got from the Sebastien Quillere Patisserie that we located on the way home from Pinel yesterday. I didn't eat a whole lot of cheese and such so I could save room for the beautiful desserts. They did not disappoint - both were fabulous!

We've had beautiful weather most of the time, with just a few sprinkly showers here and there, except for Monday, day 5. A couple of pretty good down pours. Although Saba was not visible, it did not seem as hazy today and I think most of the dust is forecasted to be gone by Tuesday. We ended up back at Cupecoy beach to rent chairs - it's just so easy - and split a rib/chicken combo for lunch. Back to the condo to lounge in the hot tub (some of it during the rain!) and rest before heading to La Villa. Parked in the $5 lot, which was refunded by La Villa, but attendant long gone when we got back to the car. Checked in with La Villa since we were a little early, then went to Java for a quick cocktail. The food at La Villa was excellent, but the 45 minute wait for the table which was reserved weeks ago was not fun (we were 20 minutes early - no traffic - table was 25 minutes late). I know it happens - the patrons at the table were "late" and lingered, but definitely no fun to stand out in the road. If you're dining late, my advice would be to get the 8:15 reservations here as you get the first tables that are available - later and you are just at the mercy of diners to leave. We did the prix fixe menu - I had lobster bisque, lamb, and pistachio creme brûlée w/ chocolate sauce. My husband had frog legs, duck breast, and a trio of ice creams. I only remembered pics for the appetizers, but all the food was great. We will return and try for 8:15 next time.

As usual, we are having a wonderful time and getting lots of reading in!

Description: Friar's Bay from the Beach Chair
Attached picture IMG_2759.jpeg

Description: Friar's Bay Beach Cafe lunch
Attached picture B8B44B4E-F26B-417F-A949-8B7C19F5DBD9.jpg

Description: Long Bay
Attached picture IMG_2772.jpeg

Description: Long Bay Sunset
Attached picture IMG_2776.jpeg

Description: Desserts
Attached picture IMG_2749.jpeg

Description: La Villa Appetizers
Attached picture 43EFF034-93E3-4468-9BA8-83149F539C54.jpg
Posted By: erb923

Re: Trip Report Day 4 & 5 - 02/27/2024 11:01 AM

Great photos, those stuffed mussels look interesting.
Posted By: lhbsurf

Re: Trip Report Day 4 & 5 - 02/27/2024 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by erb923
Great photos, those stuffed mussels look interesting.

Thank you. They were huge. Much larger than the mussels we are used to getting in the US.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Trip Report Day 4 & 5 - 02/27/2024 02:17 PM

Looks like some lovely days, other than the Sahara dust. Still surprised to see it so early in the year. Carry on!
Posted By: FatCat04

Re: Trip Report Day 4 & 5 - 02/27/2024 03:40 PM

Love Friars Bay Beach. It always seems bathtub calm. And the view is lovely. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: pat

Re: Trip Report Day 4 & 5 - 02/27/2024 03:47 PM

Such a lovely report. TY for taking the time to post your words and photographs for those of us who have time to wait. 😊😊
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Trip Report Day 4 & 5 - 02/27/2024 03:57 PM

So you really only had a 25 minute wait on your reservations which does happen sometimes. Looks like it was well worth it.
Posted By: barryvabeach

Re: Trip Report Day 4 & 5 - 02/27/2024 05:51 PM

Nice photos. Haven't had a lemon since last week, I wanted to buy some for the trip home but they would have been devoured before the plane finished going down the runway.
Posted By: Leagle49

Re: Trip Report Day 4 & 5 - 02/28/2024 12:07 PM

Looks like the Sahara Dust is mostly gone this morning. Saba has reappeared though not terribly distinct.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline