TravelTalkOnline

flights from toronto canada?

Posted By: megamania

flights from toronto canada? - 03/10/2024 03:50 PM

Looking for opinions, advice, etc from any Canadians who are experiencing trying to find direct flights from Toronto to SXM. It seems Air Transat and West Jet no longer have as many days that they fly to SXM? Has anyone else experienced this?
I have tried searching for Jan-Mar 2025 and on Air Transat's site, nothing shows at all for the New Year, perhaps I am doing something wrong. Trying to book accomodation and then of course find a flight for dates in the new year.
Any advice? I realize prices are up, which goes without saying, just trying to find availability of flights and which days each airline actually has flights. Thanks
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: flights from toronto canada? - 03/10/2024 03:56 PM

Not to beat a dead horse, but I think what you are looking for is NONSTOP flights, not direct. Direct means that the plane could stop somewhere else before your final destination, but you stay on the plane. Nonstop means just that.

Regardless, perhaps that airline doesn't release their schedule this far out. You might want to doublecheck that.
Posted By: sxmpete

Re: flights from toronto canada? - 03/10/2024 04:27 PM

Westjet flies YYZ-SXM on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Sundays
Posted By: Whale Tail

Re: flights from toronto canada? - 03/10/2024 05:08 PM

Megamania - We're already booked on Air Transat mid Dec and returning end of the first week in Jan out Toronto. It must be there, I doubt it would be sold out this far in advance. Good luck
Posted By: KGB

Re: flights from toronto canada? - 03/10/2024 05:25 PM

You have Air Canada, WestJet, AirTransat and Sunwings flying non stop out of YYZ. That’s as good as it gets. We usually use WestJet just because of the connecting flight back home in YYZ is 2,5 hours layover and not overnight. Canadian airlines usually release the schedule 12 months max.

Re: flights from toronto canada? - 03/10/2024 05:28 PM

Sorry Carol,,,i should have said,,,,non stop, direct from Toronto to SXM......seems Westjet so far seems to be out best options on availability unless someone else knows better.

Re: flights from toronto canada? - 03/10/2024 05:30 PM

i just went on Air Transat to see flights leaving in Jan or Feb 2025 and it does not fill in.....maybe because you are leaving in December?? not sure

Re: flights from toronto canada? - 03/10/2024 06:11 PM

We use the Air Transat app to book. Maybe try that.
Posted By: jeepers

Re: flights from toronto canada? - 03/10/2024 06:19 PM

I would fly WestJet. They fly to st Maarten all year several times a week where as airtransat only flies there once a week & only mid December to around mid April.
Airtransat dropped us off in January 3 years ago & 3 days later sent email cancelling our flight home in February. We scrambled to get WestJet flight at $900 to come home. It took a year & a lot of arguing to get reimbursed. We weren't impressed to say the least.

Re: flights from toronto canada? - 03/10/2024 07:22 PM

We love Air Transat because of the early arrival.
Posted By: Dr Phil SXM

Re: flights from toronto canada? - 03/10/2024 08:18 PM

Air Transat continues to fly next winter on Sundays. I have checked and they fly all of December January, February and March. Three other airlines fly nonstop during the week. For winter 2025 here is the schedule.

Sunday Air Transat, Westjet, Air Canada
Tuesday WestJet
Thursday WestJet,Sunwing
Friday WestJet
Saturday Air Canada

I checked online this afternoon and they are all there. Good luck.

Drphilsxm

Re: flights from toronto canada? - 03/11/2024 12:08 AM

hi there.
Thank you very much,,,Westjet it is, as just more options Appreciate everyone's input.....
Posted By: CrazyCanuxx

Re: flights from toronto canada? - 03/12/2024 12:55 AM

Westjet is my go to and have been reliable and cost effective since my first sxm trip in 2009.

For others looking for options, Caribbean Airlines flies out of yyz still.

safe travels!
Posted By: Kennys

Re: flights from toronto canada? - 03/12/2024 01:51 AM

Well I booked with AA via Miami to Toronto business class for next week and return with West Jet and combined good deal for me.

Re: flights from toronto canada? - 03/25/2024 02:58 PM

Hi there.
I just tried to check Carribbean Airlines flights out of toronto......sxm does not come up....maybe later in the year?
Posted By: oceanbreeze

Re: flights from toronto canada? - 03/25/2024 03:59 PM

The flights for March won't appear until next month. I'm waiting as well.

Re: flights from toronto canada? - 03/25/2024 04:47 PM

Thanks......I am not a frequent flyer, and am now trying to guess if I should book a flight via Westjet prior to April 1, 2024 when we in Canada are facing yet another carbon tax increase of 23%. Some people who travel frequently and have way more insight on when to book, etc say wait till July, Aug, Sept - or approx 5.5 months prior to departure, thinking booking today for instance, the prices are higher?? Others "opinions" are that with the carbon tax increase in Canada, the flight prices have to go up?? No one has a crystal ball, but it would be interesting to hear more opinions on this. Can anyone remember the last time Canadians faced a carbon tax increase?and if so, how were flights prices effected. At present our flight with Westjet (which I have not booked) is 978.00 per person to fly non-stop from T.O to SXM That price reflects seat selection, baggage, etc. I find that much higher than when we travelled in Jan of 2023. So, I welcome any opinions or thoughts, given the situation. I called a couple of travel agents and they think prices will drop if I wait till summer. It's a crap shoot either way. I am tempted to just book our flights before April 1, 2024 just in case prices take a huge jump due to new carbon tax. We do have our accomodation booked, so we are going!! Missed going Jan 2024 and am regretting that, lol.....love the island and really missed it.
Posted By: SirRichard

Re: flights from toronto canada? - 03/25/2024 07:35 PM

Get on a Flight to Fort Lauderdale and if you time it right you can grab a flight out of FL on Spirt, I know, I know Spirit doesn't have a great reputation but our flight to SXM was $57.00 Return was $108 with one free checked bag. Plus we chose the exit row seats and got plenty of stretch room for $15.00 more. It's less than a 3 hr flight so I can put up with that for $57.00
Posted By: CaribbeanCanadians

Re: flights from toronto canada? - 03/25/2024 07:46 PM

We are going to SXM in December to February 2025. Prices have gone up quite a bit with Westjet from last year, also the fees for preferred seats has gone up too.

Re: flights from toronto canada? - 03/25/2024 09:31 PM

Hi there.
I would not be afraid of flying with Spirit at all,,,have many times to go to Myrtle beach about 8 years ago. However, I don't want to take up two days almost to get to SXM.....did a quick search and nothing looks too appealing yet.
We could fly out of T.O with one stop in ATL and then onto SXM, but with a one week holiday, that would take almost 10 hours. Because of time limits, we are def flying out of T.O direct, non stop, just really having a hard time with when to book. Thanks for your suggestion. If I lived in the states that would def be an option.
Posted By: islandgem

Re: flights from toronto canada? - 03/26/2024 04:03 AM

Westjet usually has a seat sale to many Caribbean destinations in July. I have booked in July many times and got better rates than booking in February and March. It is difficult to know what might happen this year. I am holding out for better prices and hopefully I will be lucky again.

Re: flights from toronto canada? - 03/26/2024 04:21 PM

hi....and thanks....it certainly is a crap shoot, lol I have never booked in July before,,,seems we always get looking at flights come October. It is interesting to hear others thoughts on this, thanks again for sharing. And "good luck"!!):
Posted By: Kennys

Re: flights from toronto canada? - 03/27/2024 01:49 PM

Well , I just got back and planning another trip for June.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline