TravelTalkOnline

La Cigale dinner

Posted By: RonDon

La Cigale dinner - 03/22/2024 11:25 AM

Before I get to the food let me say the view is magnificent, the place magical.

We were seated at water’s edge. From there we could watch the sunset to our right. We could see the outline of Eustatia (maybe Saba?) directly ahead of us. To the right, the skyscrapers of Fourteen, newest buildings. Far right was Porto Cupecoy. at 6:30 Air France graced the skies.

Dinner started with amuse bouchée, creamy asparagus &mint purée. For appetizers we had Gravlax salmon in lemon cream. For main plate I vascillated between Canard Parmentier and Rack of Lamb. Tough choice! The lamb won. It was herb crusted, 5 ribs with stewed veggies. Tender to cut and delicious.

Don, who has been limiting his red meat intake had a tough time choosing between Black Angus fillet and veal filet. The beef won. His dish came with black truffle, potatoes and onions in a Port wine sauce. I had a taste and it melted in my mouth.

For dessert we split the Grand Marnier soufflé. As I ate I wished I’d ordered it all for myself.

All was washed down with a bottle of Sancerre. By then the stars were out, fish jumped in the water, and a lone skiff passed by.

I would go back in a heartbeat!
Posted By: taraavo

Re: La Cigale dinner - 03/22/2024 12:37 PM

Sounds lovely and delicious. I've wanted to go here for quite a while but never heard much about it from anyone. You've got me convinced to add it into the rotation next time.

Re: La Cigale dinner - 03/22/2024 12:49 PM

Difficult to find. There’s a small sign on right coming through Terrase Basse area, just after a gas station; however, the turn is into residences. So you have to park outside on road and walk in. Restaurant is located on the water behind these buildings. Sign marks the way.

White clothed tables in the sand or on a patio. Lighted tables, and lights along the water. 5 star casual dining.

I wish Whaletail had been there to take his great photos.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: La Cigale dinner - 03/22/2024 01:23 PM

Rosemary--next time you need to invite Mr. and Mrs. Whale Tail along, to take pictures! smile It sounds fantastic. Approximately how much was the bill, if you don't mind?
Posted By: Whale Tail

Re: La Cigale dinner - 03/22/2024 01:33 PM

Carol - They actually did invite us. But our time on island is running down and we still have things to do. But we did get a rain check for next year for them to expand our culinary tastes. We will take them up on that.

Re: La Cigale dinner - 03/22/2024 01:34 PM

OK, sounds like you missed out! But I know how it is when time is winding down to the last couple of days.
Posted By: kim

Re: La Cigale dinner - 03/22/2024 01:40 PM

I have a few pictures from multiple trips. This has become my favorite restaurant on the island

Attached picture IMG_1388_Original.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_1392_Original.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_4729.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_4730.jpeg

Re: La Cigale dinner - 03/22/2024 02:03 PM

Thanks for posting, Kim. Wonderful!
Posted By: MotownTim

Re: La Cigale dinner - 03/22/2024 02:53 PM

We stayed in the apartments right there and for some reason never made it to the restaurant. Probably because we were more budget conscious way back when. Another interesting place right beside Le Cigale is Cote Lagon. More of a lunch place with a loyal French following. I had a good lunch there and appeared to be the only non-French there.

Re: La Cigale dinner - 03/22/2024 06:58 PM

Yes, thanks for posting, Kim. Almost some of the exact pictures that we took.
Posted By: mahokid

Re: La Cigale dinner - 03/22/2024 07:09 PM

all though we enjoyed our meal there, I remember the waiter or bill stating tips are not included.

Generally don't go back to places that have to "request' more money

Don't ask and you definitely get more

Re: La Cigale dinner - 03/22/2024 07:23 PM

Maho kid, I didn’t notice any mention of tips or service charge on menu and the only extra that I remember was a SXM tax. We did leave extra.
Posted By: pat

Re: La Cigale dinner - 03/22/2024 09:09 PM

SXM charges a tax now? I didn’t know that.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: La Cigale dinner - 03/22/2024 09:38 PM

Something like a 4% on French side.
Posted By: Alltech63

Re: La Cigale dinner - 03/22/2024 10:35 PM

We enjoyed our dinner there very much also.[img]http://[/img]

Attached picture 20231223_180400.jpg
Posted By: jomarc

Re: La Cigale dinner - 03/22/2024 11:07 PM

WOW. Your dining experience sounded so wonderful!

La Cigale’s soufflé is oh so good.

It’s a bit tricky to find the restaurant, but once you see the sign, you’re there! The location is beautiful and romantic.

Attached picture IMG_2300.jpeg

Re: La Cigale dinner - 03/22/2024 11:50 PM

Pat--French St. Martin has a 4% tax on food, been that way for a while.
Posted By: pat

Re: La Cigale dinner - 03/23/2024 01:02 AM

I never knew that but then, we don’t eat on the French side that much anymore and when we do, I don’t think I’ve ever seen the check. I was of thinking the Dutch side and in terms of the TOT.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: La Cigale dinner - 03/23/2024 01:29 AM

TOT is still collected but by Dutch Law can't be shown added to the check.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline