TravelTalkOnline

Beached sailboat

Posted By: SXMScubaman

Beached sailboat - 03/28/2024 02:31 PM

More on the saga.
LINK
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Beached sailboat - 03/28/2024 02:56 PM

That's a shame, for people in that area. The same is true, even more, for those in Beacon Hill, where that rusty bucket of nails boat has been, for what, two years or more?
Posted By: Whale Tail

Re: Beached sailboat - 03/28/2024 03:31 PM

The last time I saw the sailboat it was missing the steering wheel and the compass unlike the Herald photo.

Re: Beached sailboat - 03/28/2024 03:40 PM

Slowly being parted out. Nothing is safe from theft.

Re: Beached sailboat - 03/28/2024 03:52 PM

Whale Tail--I imagine that's an old photo that they had on file.
Posted By: Zanshin

Re: Beached sailboat - 03/28/2024 05:18 PM

The last paragraph cracked me up. Repairing that boat would cost more than purchasing it again new and the rigging isn't worth the cost of removing it.

Re: Beached sailboat - 03/28/2024 05:31 PM

Zanshin--so what is the answer here, if you know, for this situation, and the one in Beacon Hill?

Re: Beached sailboat - 03/28/2024 08:45 PM

The local nominally owns the boat, despite just having a verbal contract with the previous owner, so would be liable for the cost of removing the boat. But he's a local, and since he's not answering any queries, I'm sure he's lawyered up and will contest the verbal contract. The original owner is gone. So, the government will need to locate him, prove in court that he is the actual owner, and then extract the money or have to pay the salvage costs itself. The first is unlikely to happen. The Beacon Hill wreck is owned by a company which then went bankrupt so there's no money there. The owners are still quite affluent and evidently did not bother with the costs incurred by having insurance.

I think that the 10K$ cost is for marine salvage. The wreck is on the beach close to excellent road access for a truck and crane so I would think that it might be done for less (if a private person were paying, if the government is paying the estimates will of course be much higher)

Re: Beached sailboat - 03/28/2024 09:32 PM

With regard to the Beacon Hill wreck, is there any resolution to get that out of the way??
Posted By: Colour1

Re: Beached sailboat - 03/29/2024 10:30 AM

"Now, according to salvage companies, the cost to remove it will be around $10,000." Are they kidding with that number?? For that price, no one will want to "tow" it away!! At this point, there is nothing of any value to resell!! I can see, this is going to be another "D'Boat" cluttering up Simpson bay beach!!

Re: Beached sailboat - 03/29/2024 10:37 AM

@Colour1 - that was the point of my posts; there is no profit involved, just costs. Since those who should pay are not going to be made liable, the government is going to have to foot the bill and they won't do so unless the complaints are loud enough or made by those with leverage.
Posted By: Bluesfan

Re: Beached sailboat - 03/29/2024 04:17 PM

Could the D Boat be rolled over and sunk as an artificial reef? I would imagine all toxic substance has evaporated by now.

Re: Beached sailboat - 03/29/2024 05:12 PM

Toxic substances don't just evaporate.

Re: Beached sailboat - 03/29/2024 05:27 PM

It would have to be towed out to deeper waters but before that would have to be completely cleared of any pollutants. Not easy to just go and sink something. Have to follow protocols to protect the underwater environment. A toxic reef would do more harm than good.

Re: Beached sailboat - 03/31/2024 10:39 AM

A few years ago, they brought out TWO crain boats to lift it. It is so wedged in there, it won't budge!!! There is a local guy, who likes to fish in front of unit#1 at BSV, nice guy who lives over there near the boat. He told me it bangs back and forth all night!! I took this photo from my Rhino rider last November. It's falling apart for sure. Not sure when it's going to make landfall?? But it's a mess!!

Attached picture D'Boat 1123.jpg

Re: Beached sailboat - 03/31/2024 10:40 AM

OHHH and wait for permits too!!!
Posted By: boucharda

Re: Beached sailboat - 04/01/2024 10:49 AM

Took this one in January....

Attached picture 20240128_100030-EFFECTS.jpg
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Beached sailboat - 04/01/2024 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by boucharda
Took this one in January....

We watched them "prepping"/loading that boat several years ago, before they draged it out into Simpson Bay. It was in the lagoon, directly opposite Dinghy Dock Sailors Bar (Airport Rd), and debris was blowing all over with no regard to what was going in the water or anywhere else. It was a $hit-show then and it is even worse now. Pretty sad that nobody seems responsible.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline