TravelTalkOnline

2020 Tauck small ship Expedition to Antarctica

Posted By: Cathyg

2020 Tauck small ship Expedition to Antarctica - 06/20/2019 12:09 AM

We have booked a trip that begins in Buenos Aries Argentina where we stay in the Alvear Art Hotel for 3 nights. We then fly to Ushuia Argentina where we board the L'Austral small ship to Antarctica.

Has anyone else done this trip?
Posted By: LBI2SXM

Re: 2020 Tauck small ship Expedition to Antarctica - 06/20/2019 02:09 AM

No, but you are some world traveler! I envy you.

Re: 2020 Tauck small ship Expedition to Antarctica - 06/20/2019 02:24 AM

We are working on it!
Posted By: TomB

Re: 2020 Tauck small ship Expedition to Antarctica - 06/20/2019 11:13 AM

Is the trip soon? I assume it would be in our winter - their summer.
Agree with LBI2SXM and extremely jealous 😁

Please do a trip report or blog.

Re: 2020 Tauck small ship Expedition to Antarctica - 06/20/2019 01:19 PM

The trip is December 2020...they only do the trip December, January and February. This was not my idea...lol Steve said he wanted to go to Antarctica...so I began researching. I found a lovely Princess cruise that goes to many places in south America and goes BY Antarctica but does not stop there. He said that was not good enough...he had to STAND on the continent. So I keep searching and Tauck offers this Expedition.

https://www.tauck.com/tours/antarctica-cruise

Here's the list just in case you want to go...lol

We really are excited.
Posted By: TomB

Re: 2020 Tauck small ship Expedition to Antarctica - 06/25/2019 11:46 PM

I bet you are excited! Watched the movie... oh my what a trip!
Posted By: Maria_and_Steve

Re: 2020 Tauck small ship Expedition to Antarctica - 06/26/2019 07:59 PM

I had a friend take that trip and he has a wall-size picture of the ship anchored in Antarctica with spectacular glacial scenery stretching into the distance. He said the trip was fantastic, more expensive that he ever imagined, and yet as good as it will ever get! smile
Posted By: PelicanPirate

Re: 2020 Tauck small ship Expedition to Antarctica - 06/27/2019 01:49 AM

I’m sure you guys have researched this trip well as always.

Friends of ours went on something very similar with Silversea. Bucket list to visit continent and see penquins.

Hopefully you get fair winds and seas but I would be prepared for anything based on their accounts.

The high waves/highwinds they experienced on Drakes Passage were massive and they were confined to their cabins and slept with life jackets.

They had to buy/ rent all kinds of special exposure clothing/gear and were required to buy/have a massive travel insurance policy.

They did survive, they did go ashore in zodiac boats and they did love the Penguins, mega-thousands of them. Trip of a life time.
Posted By: TravelHat

Re: 2020 Tauck small ship Expedition to Antarctica - 06/28/2019 10:11 PM

Well that sounds like a good time.

Re: 2020 Tauck small ship Expedition to Antarctica - 07/03/2019 12:43 PM

We certainly did research the trip and chose Tauck over silver seas for many reasons....one is because Tauck supplies outerwear at no additional charge....parkas, boots, etc.

The Drake passage is the roughest sea in the world...and we know we will most likely have to take Dramamine. It is 3 days on the Drake passage over and another 3 days back. The expedition only goes in December, January and February...summer in Antarctica...and the best seas. I belong to the Tauck forum and have not read any trip reports from anyone that was unhappy with this trip.

I can say that cost wise this trip is not as expensive as the African trip we have booked for September...expensive...yes...most expensive trip ever? no. Travel insurance is offered and a medical health questionnaire and physicians signature is required.

I expect it to be cold and rainy...I expect high seas...I expect the penguins will be "smelly"....and I expect it will be a trip we never forget.

Re: 2020 Tauck small ship Expedition to Antarctica - 07/06/2019 04:55 PM

Ok, good. You’ll be fine. By all accounts, the safety record is impeccable of all the ships since trips started in the 60’s.

Cant wait to see pictures of penquins. I hope you guys have matching black and white tuxedo-like outfits for the posing with the penguins. smile
Posted By: TravelHat

Re: 2020 Tauck small ship Expedition to Antarctica - 07/09/2019 01:17 AM

No matter how rough the seas get it will be better than the volleyball players at San Souci 😊

Re: 2020 Tauck small ship Expedition to Antarctica - 07/10/2019 01:00 PM

i believe the parkas are red...however i like the way you think

The one thing i wont miss about SS...the volleyball...lol

Re: 2020 Tauck small ship Expedition to Antarctica - 07/11/2019 12:09 AM

https://www.partycity.com/adult-penguin-pal-costume-P590833.html

Slide these over the parka

Re: 2020 Tauck small ship Expedition to Antarctica - 07/11/2019 10:39 PM

LMAO!!!!! now that's funny!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline