TravelTalkOnline

France car rental Insurance question

Posted By: kenmoore

France car rental Insurance question - 03/20/2013 08:26 PM

I intend to rent a car for two days in Caen, France. I'm concerned about having the proper insurance, since my insurance company does not cover me in Europe.

Can anyone advise me on the proper rental car insurance requirements before I get to the agency and have to listen to their sales pitches for extra services.

Thanks/
Posted By: tiger79

Re: France car rental Insurance question - 03/28/2013 06:56 PM

If you're only renting for 2 days, buy the rental company's add-on insurance for the damage excess.
Posted By: CJIMI

Re: France car rental Insurance question - 03/30/2013 05:03 AM

I disagree. Check with your credit card company. I rented a car in France several years ago, and some thieves smashed the drivers side window. It cost me $92 to get new glass put in, and VISA reimbursed me, when I got back to the USA. I had to fill out a form, and provide them with photos of the damage, a copy of the police report, and the repair bill.

I had nothing in the car, except maps - which were not stolen. I see no need to pay extra for coverage which is provided for free by your credit card company.
Posted By: tiger79

Re: France car rental Insurance question - 03/30/2013 09:53 AM

I guess it depends how highly you value your time and inconvenience. Add-on insurance is so cheap for a couple of days, I still think it's better to have it and just walk away from any damage.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline