TravelTalkOnline

skeeters

Posted By: truant2

skeeters - 11/07/2014 02:36 AM

Just completed a week in Barbados at a vrbo condo. Both husband and wife landlords had a bad case of chicanguanga. Not sure of correct spelling. Now on St Vincent. Cab driver and several others all have had it. Everyone who's had it said it won't kill you, but you want to die. After effects last for months. Make sure you bring plenty of insect repellent, and bring long pants and long sleeves. Also rum. Ready to go sailing for a week in the Grenadines.
Posted By: Twanger

Re: skeeters - 11/07/2014 06:18 PM

long pants and long sleeves on an island vacation?
Ugh. Might as well not go.
Posted By: Nutmeg

Re: skeeters - 11/07/2014 09:18 PM

Chikungunya is marching through the Caribbean. Where I am, they feel the number of cases has slowed down, but with this tropical wave and all the rain it is bringing, we will see. Buy "Off" stock and dowse with DEET.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: skeeters - 11/07/2014 09:24 PM

They claim that the numbers are down in SXM also, but I'm not really sure that is the case. Many islands need rain right now, but the skeeters, no, they don't need those!

Re: skeeters - 11/07/2014 10:29 PM

Carol: A few weeks ago EVERYONE you talked to had it or just was getting over it. I haven't heard anyone complain in the last two weeks. Fingers crossed!
Posted By: DannyP

Re: skeeters - 12/02/2014 09:45 PM

the epidemic proportion of people with chick v (local for chikengunya) has dropped off drastically but still a concern. We were in Grenada for over 2 weeks and while we met many that have horror stories of the illness, saw no one with recently contracted bug. We saw a couple mosquitos but kept 40% deet on. No cure, no remedy and no mercy on the infected. By the way, didn't wear long pants or sleeves. Headed back down after Christmas!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: skeeters - 12/03/2014 01:17 AM

greetings,

while in barbados a few weeks ago an entertainer cancelled their session due to chicken ganga. (lololol) this was the only incident we heard of during our island hopping.

i also read.. maybe on ttol, that skeeters like blue. google it.

ps off bought on the islands works better than ours.. check the label. have you ever seen black flies, deer fly or any of the other flies mentioned on our labels. makes sense to me (and besides their qa/qc in the tropics is far slacker than ours so not really sure what's in that can)
cheers

crazycanuxx

Re: skeeters - 12/03/2014 12:53 PM

Here is another article on the topic of chik-v.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline