TravelTalkOnline

Cruiser Wifi and Cellphone...

Posted By: RichHarmer

Cruiser Wifi and Cellphone... - 11/12/2012 01:51 AM

I'm thinking that some of you will be thinking (rightfully so) that we should leave the technology at home and enjoy our vacations... and we will, it's nice to check in every few days though especially as two of our couples have kids they are leaving behind...

I did some reading on Cellphone service and it's fairly inexpensive to get a Lime or Digicel SIM for a GSM phone and use that for cellular if that is needed. We have a big group and it's nice to use that as a safety net if needed -- and so I have a Digicel SIM now. In past trips we brought a sat phone for "just in case", but I think we will skip that this trip.

I'm trying to decide what to do about the data side of things. We are techno-nuts to begin with, so if there is a wifi signal even close to us, we can figure a way to use it.
What forms of data service have some of the rest of you used? Cellular data or boat-wifi or have you found that open wifi is available?

Thanks for your input smile

Rich
Posted By: Jeannius

Re: Cruiser Wifi and Cellphone... - 11/12/2012 08:15 PM

Open WiFi is becoming less common around the islands. A cell phone with local sim data enabled or a dedicated usb 3g dongle is now my preferred route. LIME or Digicel work on all the non-French islands.

Take your WiFi booster though for when you get lucky!
Posted By: MrEZgoin

Re: Cruiser Wifi and Cellphone... - 11/21/2012 02:53 AM

RichHarmer said:
I'm thinking that some of you will be thinking (rightfully so) that we should leave the technology at home and enjoy our vacations... and we will, it's nice to check in every few days though especially as two of our couples have kids they are leaving behind...

I did some reading on Cellphone service and it's fairly inexpensive to get a Lime or Digicel SIM for a GSM phone and use that for cellular if that is needed. We have a big group and it's nice to use that as a safety net if needed -- and so I have a Digicel SIM now. In past trips we brought a sat phone for "just in case", but I think we will skip that this trip.

I'm trying to decide what to do about the data side of things. We are techno-nuts to begin with, so if there is a wifi signal even close to us, we can figure a way to use it.
What forms of data service have some of the rest of you used? Cellular data or boat-wifi or have you found that open wifi is available?

Thanks for your input smile

Rich

We took a sat phone but didn't really need it, cell coverage (LIME) was widespread. My wife did some limited international data on her iPhone (windguru, etc.). We only had WiFi a few places: Sunsail base and Canouan Moorings base. If we found it anywhere else I can't remember it.
Posted By: DawnB

Re: Cruiser Wifi and Cellphone... - 11/21/2012 01:03 PM

We got WIFI off of Princess Margaret Beach in Bequia, if the weather is good.

Also surprisingly off of Petit Nevis (must be from Friendship Bay)
Posted By: RichHarmer

Re: Cruiser Wifi and Cellphone... - 11/21/2012 03:47 PM

I'll see if I can update this info after our trip. I have a high powered Wifi device that we'll be attempting to use at night.

I do have a blog going, but I'm guessing I shouldn't post the link here due to the rules even though there is no advertising.

Rich
Posted By: DawnB

Re: Cruiser Wifi and Cellphone... - 11/21/2012 07:54 PM

Rich, please send me a pm with the link, I'd like to read your blog!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline