TravelTalkOnline

Where to charter next?

Posted By: sailn

Where to charter next? - 06/15/2014 06:40 PM

Have chartered, bareboat maybe 8-10 times.
Have been to BVI , St Martin, and Grenadines, don't want to go back to these because (my reasons/ opinion only- I am not attacking these places ?:
bvi - can be crowded- maybe shore people both people who live there and the sailboat companies are Numb from too many sailors over too many years
st martin- has been really really rough (winds and swells) last 2 trips
- grenadines-went once, there is no sea tow, or coast guard if you have major problems (we did)
- never been to belieze, but felt navigation might be dicey and again too far from main base
any other suggestions?
Posted By: maytrix

Re: Where to charter next? - 06/15/2014 09:06 PM

In regards to your reason to avoid the BVI, perhaps the issue is the time of year you go.

How about USVI? You could mix in some BVI with the majority spent in the USVI. Could even charter out of USVI and never go to the BVI if you don't want to.

St Lucia is another option. We're looking at starting there next year and visiting Martinique.

Grenada is another good place too.
Posted By: sailn

Re: Where to charter next? - 06/15/2014 10:29 PM

is grenada too much windward leeward, with not too many harbors?

anyone did bahamas lately or did they stop sailboat rentals there about 8 years ago?
Posted By: maytrix

Re: Where to charter next? - 06/15/2014 11:35 PM

Bahama's are still available for charter.

Not sure on about Grenada, haven't done it myself, but there are charters out of there.
Posted By: Twanger

Re: Where to charter next? - 06/16/2014 07:29 PM

Love the SVI. You can either charter in STT and sail west, or charter out of Fajardo and sail east.
We've been twice, starting out from CYOA/Frenchtown.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Where to charter next? - 06/16/2014 11:12 PM

We just chartered a 30' MaineCat in the Abacos (Bahamas). You can see some pics and follow my blog here...

http://swiftysails.tumblr.com

Sorry I didn't log in - I haven't had any luck getting my password reset!

Amy (aka "Swifty")
Posted By: polaris

Re: Where to charter next? - 06/17/2014 01:14 PM

Suggest you rethink Belize. I have "done" all the same places you mention and put Belize right up there. Have done
the northern portion (TMM on Ambergris Cay) a couple times and the southern islands (Sunsail) once. Navigation is not all that difficult and nowhere is very far for a crash boat to find you.
Posted By: ScubaGirl

Re: Where to charter next? - 06/25/2014 10:41 PM

One word..........Exumas! By far the most beautiful place I have ever been. Very different from the BVI and USVI.
Posted By: britski1

Re: Where to charter next? - 06/27/2014 01:44 PM

The Bahamas is a great option, Marsh Harbour gives you access to a shocking number of gorgeous live reefs. We have been exploring the area recently and it is absolutely gorgeous in the Abacos. We currently offer a full fleet of Catamarans in the area which make the area much more manageable as it tends to be very shallow in the Abacos. Very comfortable sailing with a variety of harbours and restaurants to visit as well.

Brittany
Sunsail
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Where to charter next? - 07/06/2014 06:23 PM

In the bahamas whats the best time? too early can be cold, mid summer bugs?
whats a good month?
Posted By: MustangSally

Re: Where to charter next? - 07/11/2014 07:41 PM

Spanish Virgins are lovely choice as mentioned above. Great to fly right to SJU and the islands are remote & peaceful (except on weekends when the Motoricans come out with their music cranked.....it's a fun party). The Bahamas are also a great option OR if you want to totally mix it up try The Med (in the summer of course), and The French Polynesians are stunning... absolutely amazing. Lots of great options. you will be busy with destinations for years.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline