TravelTalkOnline

Charter destinations

Posted By: jboothe

Charter destinations - 07/09/2015 06:30 PM

I am looking for ideas on locations to charter from other than the BVI. Don't get me wrong, my wife and I love the BVI and have chartered there the last two years. I wouldn't mind at all going back but we have been talking about other locations. We enjoy tropical locations so we are looking at the Bahamas, Belize, Sea of Cortez, etc. I also wouldn't mind chartering out of Florida and either making the overnight trip to Bimini or going from Tampa area to the Dry Tortugas. Any thoughts, things you have tried and liked or didn't like? Appreciate any help.
Posted By: tmsxmsails

Re: Charter destinations - 07/09/2015 08:46 PM

We very much like St. Martin. We did BVI a couple of times many years ago but our recent three trips to SXM have been wonderful.

The charter companies that I know about are Moorings/Sunsail and Dream Yacht Charters. We have used The Moorings each time and they were great.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions on SXM.

Good luck.
Posted By: polaris

Re: Charter destinations - 07/13/2015 03:00 PM

Two destinations I have really enjoyed chartering are Belize and the Grenadines. In Belize you can start either in the north end of the island chain, Ambergris Caye, or the south end, Placencia. We have done both and some of my party liked the south while I liked the north. Either way it is much more isolated than most other destinations - pick an island, the drop anchor and be all by yourself.

Some approach the Grenadines from St. Lucia and Granada but we have always chartered in St. Vincent. A bit more robust sailing than BVI but wonderful islands.

Good luck.
Posted By: Winterstale

Re: Charter destinations - 07/16/2015 02:41 PM

What time of year did you sail Belize? We are thinking of trying to get a sail together there for 2017...
Posted By: Twanger

Re: Charter destinations - 07/20/2015 08:44 PM

I would recommend the SVI, St. Martin, St. Martin, St. Vincent & Grenadines.
Posted By: d_fish

Re: Charter destinations - 01/05/2016 07:02 PM

I would recommend St. Martin and area or St. Vincent & Grenadines as well.

St. Martin more developed than St. Vincent and Grenadines.

Sailing distances greater than in BVIs in both areas.
Posted By: RickBlaine

Re: Charter destinations - 02/05/2016 06:39 PM

I really enjoyed St. Vincent & Grenadines. A bit of a pain to get there but I really liked it.
Posted By: tothedogs

Re: Charter destinations - 02/05/2016 08:53 PM

We just returned from 10 days in the Grenadines. It was great!
Posted By: El_Capitan

Re: Charter destinations - 07/11/2016 08:20 PM

My wife and I did the Sea of Cortez several years ago. It is a very different charter as opposed to the BVI, but beautiful and unique. The wildlife is astounding, (whales, sea lions, jumping rays, etc) and if you go out of La Paz, the people are wonderful.

PM me if you want any specifics.

Also would second the thoughts around the Abacos or the Exumas. My personal favorite is the Exumas.

Cheers,

EC
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline