TravelTalkOnline

Living in Hawaii

Posted By: Joxershorts

Living in Hawaii - 01/13/2015 02:05 AM

Hey everyone,

It's been years since I've posted! Anyhow here goes

Firstly we are St Maarten lovers, and will continue to go back. However since having a kid we are weighing the options of living in Hawaii part-time, perhaps 6 mo of the year - since we both can work from home and it's a direct flight from Vancouver

Was wondering what suggestions users can make on the best island / location to live,in your opinions. We are outdoorsy and have a 2 1/2 year old boy so definitely family friendly/safety first. Been to Kauai and loved it

Cheers
Posted By: Todd

Re: Living in Hawaii - 02/17/2015 05:03 AM

The island of Hawaii, that would be my pick especially if raising kids. I would avoid Oahu, for all the reasons I would pick the big island.

I just spent a week there for business, I really could get used to spending more time on the big island. So much to see and do, so much change in everything from climate to terrain as you move around the island. Nice people, lots of transplants. I have actually started looking at housing pricing myself, noting I already have business in Hawaii on all the islands but so far this is the only one that I could see spending lots of time on.

Note that all the other islands could fit on the Big Island.

Cheers,
Todd
From the original Vancouver!
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Living in Hawaii - 02/17/2015 01:17 PM

Interesting concept, but how would you handle it once your child is in school? Never have visited Hawaii myself, but I have always heard that the cost of living there is astronomical?
Posted By: PaulJay

Re: Living in Hawaii - 02/28/2015 10:05 PM

We really like the Big Island and might retire there. Will be there in two weeks! It's not a lot more expensive than California if you stay away from the tourist spots.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline