TravelTalkOnline

Rental Car Miami to Key West

Posted By: stuckinma

Rental Car Miami to Key West - 07/22/2013 03:26 PM

We are flying to Miami in November then driving to Key West. I know there have been posts in the past of people dong this but I can't find what I'm looking for.

Those of you that have done this- question 1) do you reserve a rental car ahead of time or just get one at the Miami airport? And 2) can you turn the car in at the KW airport and get another one for the return trip?

Thanks for any info!
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Rental Car Miami to Key West - 07/22/2013 04:03 PM

Personally, I would always pre-reserve. Doesn't cost anything and you can always reserve a small car and get a free upgrade if they have no small cars left by the time you arrive. Haven't done it myself, but I figure you CAN drop it off at KW airport, but you may need to pay a drop off charge and it could be huge!! Suggest you check with a particular car rental agency by doing a trial booking.
Posted By: jphart

Re: Rental Car Miami to Key West - 07/22/2013 11:05 PM

Almost all rent a cars in Florida are free one ways.
Yes reserve in advance. Some companies now offer a discount for pay in advance like hotels offer. Wouldn't suggest that. Try Kayak to shop car deals.

Use AAA, AARP, or similar for discounts.

And as someone who drives the keys often, may I ask that you pull over if you wanna look at the sights and water! I try and make it in less than three hours!!
Posted By: DPD1968

Re: Rental Car Miami to Key West - 07/23/2013 12:59 AM

We just did this back in June, rented ahead and dropped the car off in keywest. If you are a Costco member rent thru them, the prices are great. Also some of the rentals(Alamo?) are not located at he airport in KeyWest so you may need a taxi.
Posted By: stuckinma

Re: Rental Car Miami to Key West - 07/25/2013 03:53 PM

Thanks everyone!
Posted By: maytrix

Re: Rental Car Miami to Key West - 07/29/2013 02:55 PM

Just my 2 cents - we did this once and our second time flew into Key west. It was much better that way. If there's an accident or any kind of traffic, the drive can take a long time. However, we were there for a shorter visit so given a longer trip it might not be a big deal.

If you are planning on making stops along the way, it could be nice, but otherwise not worth it in my opinion.
Posted By: Latbrat16

Re: Rental Car Miami to Key West - 08/05/2013 11:07 PM

If you are a AAA member check out their rental car costs. We are renting a car in Boston in October for 18 days. Their cost beat other rental car quotes any where from $200 up to over $500. Plus an additional driver is free of charge. More money to spend on fun things.
Posted By: irina

Re: Rental Car Miami to Key West - 08/06/2013 03:19 PM

Yea it's a schlep. My friends did it. I told them to only do it in one direction.
That's what they did and flew out back to NY.
They thought the drive was too long. LOL
Cheers
irina
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline