TravelTalkOnline

Cancelled Passport as a result of Evacuation

Posted By: MotownTim

Cancelled Passport as a result of Evacuation - 09/30/2017 01:24 AM

A number of people including me had their passports cancelled as a result of the evacuation following Irma. I just went to get my passport renewed and I was told that it was a mistake and they would wave the renewal fee and also the expediting fee. The new passport expires the same time as the old one. You probably have to go to the passport agency to get the fees waved as I did.
Posted By: Rasputin

Re: Cancelled Passport as a result of Evacuation - 09/30/2017 01:56 PM

I don't know for sure, but I don't think your passport will actually be issued until you comply with the following:

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/evacuated-citizens.html

Re: Cancelled Passport as a result of Evacuation - 09/30/2017 02:58 PM

I pick up my passport Monday. We signed the promissory note coming in to PR. I assume we will get a bill in the mail.
Posted By: Rasputin

Re: Cancelled Passport as a result of Evacuation - 09/30/2017 03:26 PM

I hope you are right, however I am under the impression that one has to pay off the note before they will issue the new passport. I'd be interested to know how it goes for you on Monday, good luck.
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Cancelled Passport as a result of Evacuation - 10/03/2017 09:37 AM

We have tried to pay the note, but the government is not ready to bill or collect the funds as they are still doing evacuations. We have called them twice and they don't seem to be the least bit worried about it, so we won't be either.

Not even sure ours were canceled. Have to go to passport office to find out.

Re: Cancelled Passport as a result of Evacuation - 10/03/2017 09:40 AM

We have spoken to them twice and been advised they are not ready to bill or collect the funds for this yet as they are still busy doing evacuations.

It was suggested that we go to the passport office to see if our passports were even canceled as ours were not stamped like Tim's was. We'll see.

Re: Cancelled Passport as a result of Evacuation - 10/03/2017 04:48 PM

I picked up my new passport yesterday with no problem. No fees collected. Just paid for the photos ($16) and parking ($10). Going to the airport today to sync up our Global Entry with the new passport.
Posted By: Leagle49

Re: Cancelled Passport as a result of Evacuation - 10/04/2017 11:35 AM

Tim, when I renewed my passport last year I was able to sync the new one to Global Entry on-line without having to go to Metro.

Re: Cancelled Passport as a result of Evacuation - 10/05/2017 09:33 AM

Thanks for the heads up. We went down yesterday and got it done. One thing we were told is that Global Entry has a new web site and every person with Glibal Entry needs to go into the new site and verify and update their existing membership. I thought this was kind of strange because we had received no notification of this. So I’m not sure if it’s true that everyone needs to do it. We did go on the new site when we got home and updated our information. The website was difficult to work with. Maybe because it’s new.
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Cancelled Passport as a result of Evacuation - 10/05/2017 10:48 AM

Tim, you're right about that site being hard to maneuver. I guess I have to create a new account, as using my old one didn't work. When I tried to create a new one; the response when I hit enter was "not found." Guess I'll try again later.

Re: Cancelled Passport as a result of Evacuation - 10/05/2017 12:07 PM

Georgia. And when you get the pop ups that say something couldn’t be processed or something just continue on. I’m still not sure everything is ok. I’ll find out next time I travel I guess.
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: Cancelled Passport as a result of Evacuation - 10/07/2017 07:15 AM

MotownTim said:
Thanks for the heads up. We went down yesterday and got it done. One thing we were told is that Global Entry has a new web site and every person with Glibal Entry needs to go into the new site and verify and update their existing membership. I thought this was kind of strange because we had received no notification of this. So I’m not sure if it’s true that everyone needs to do it. We did go on the new site when we got home and updated our information. The website was difficult to work with. Maybe because it’s new.

Thanks for posting that information; I was able to create a new account. However, my "membership information" isn't current as I have retired since getting Global Entry. I've sent them an email asking how I can edit the membership info as it appears I can only view it.

Re: Cancelled Passport as a result of Evacuation - 10/07/2017 02:18 PM

I was able to edit my information. The website is very slow. You can manage your account but it takes a long time for the edit screen to pop up. I had given up and all of a sudden it was there.
Posted By: lbksxm

Re: Cancelled Passport as a result of Evacuation - 10/08/2017 07:07 PM

Bill and Elaine, Have you had any luck finding out if your existing passports are still valid, or have you applied for new passports?

Re: Cancelled Passport as a result of Evacuation - 10/09/2017 10:23 AM

Have not been to the passport office yet, other more important things to take care of. Perhaps this week.

Ours may be ok, because they were not stamped invalid as Tim's were.
Posted By: lbksxm

Re: Cancelled Passport as a result of Evacuation - 10/09/2017 04:32 PM

Ours were not stamped either. We are headed to the passport office this week. Will post an update.

Re: Cancelled Passport as a result of Evacuation - 10/09/2017 05:30 PM

Has anyone received the bill for the flight out yet?

Re: Cancelled Passport as a result of Evacuation - 10/10/2017 10:33 AM

Not us. We were told it would be some time as there were so many evacuations.

Re: Cancelled Passport as a result of Evacuation - 10/11/2017 10:49 PM

Went to passport office today. Our passports were not invalidated, so we're all set. Don't need to get new ones.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline