TravelTalkOnline

Reclining airline seat debate

Posted By: SXMScubaman

Reclining airline seat debate - 02/15/2020 04:35 PM

What do you think?
https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/ne...airlines-incident/ar-BB100Cxa?li=BBnb7Kz
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Reclining airline seat debate - 02/15/2020 05:20 PM

I think we have discussed this here before. I would be MUCH happier if all seats were not capable of reclining.
Posted By: Leagle49

Re: Reclining airline seat debate - 02/16/2020 12:43 PM

I rarely recline the seat as I find the standard position comfortable for me. Occasionally I'll recline it just a bit. Of course, if it's a long-haul flight overnight, then I do recline tit fully to sleep.
Posted By: SXMbeacher

Re: Reclining airline seat debate - 02/16/2020 08:10 PM

I'll admit i used to, but it seemed like there was more room to do so before. Being on the taller side it is much more comfortable in the reclined position, and more leg room would be even better. I do not recline anymore as i understand how little room there is these days.

Re: Reclining airline seat debate - 02/16/2020 09:26 PM

I will always recline because of back issues but if asked to tilt forward I will do so within reason.

Re: Reclining airline seat debate - 02/16/2020 10:26 PM

Apparently according to you, you are always in first class, which has a LOT more room between rows than in coach. In coach, anyone reclining has to impinge on the space of the person behind them. Period.

Re: Reclining airline seat debate - 02/17/2020 04:08 PM

I'm not always in first class. Yes I do fly FC to and from SXM when possible but for domestic itineraries it's coach or sometimes the premium seats with Alaska Airlines.
Posted By: pat

Re: Reclining airline seat debate - 02/18/2020 04:03 AM

The simple answer to this problem would be for the airlines to do away with reclining seats altogether. If they sell you a feature that people like, such as reclining seats, those who like it will use it. Given the discomfort level and the animosity this so often causes, find a way to lock the seats and do away with the recline feature and everyone wins. But for the time being, I guess we’ll all have to suck it up and deal with it whichever is our personal preference.

Re: Reclining airline seat debate - 02/18/2020 02:16 PM

Pat--Yes, maybe that's the answer. Take away the ability to recline, EXCEPT for rows that have further in between, like first class and the extra legroom seats.

Re: Reclining airline seat debate - 02/18/2020 03:44 PM

The first front row in the Exit rows are already non reclining. You don't want anybody reclining in front of you book a bulkhead seat.
Posted By: pat

Re: Reclining airline seat debate - 02/18/2020 04:04 PM

Booking a bulkhead seat or exit row is not always doable since there are only so many per plane and this only takes care of a couple rows. With regard to Business and First Class, if you’re paying that extra price for the tickets in the first place, reclining seats can easily be one of the included parks.

This is another classic case of a mess created by the airlines (for additional revenue of which they collect a bundle....) being foisted on the traveler. It’s right up there with travelers trying to fly with near steamer trunk sized bags as their carry-ons because of the airline imposing shipped bag fees and failing to force travelers to comply with the sizers that every boarding gate has, along with not making everyone comply with the number of carry-on items.

Don’t get me wrong - I don’t like any of these rules but if they make them, ENFORCE THEM and that way everyone knows where they stand. They know they won’t get away with their non-compliance so probably won’t try but once.

There once was a time when traveling - specifically the act of getting somewhere - was fun but sadly, not so much today.
It is what it is but there are ways to make it better.

Re: Reclining airline seat debate - 02/18/2020 04:23 PM

"but if they make them, ENFORCE THEM and that way everyone knows where they stand. They know they won’t get away with their non-compliance so probably won’t try but once."
clapping

Re: Reclining airline seat debate - 02/18/2020 04:50 PM

Exit row usually costs quite a bit more to book.

Re: Reclining airline seat debate - 02/18/2020 05:00 PM

It depends on what airlines and passenger status with airline. You can sometimes get them at day of online check in for free. Have done it many times with no preferred status.
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: Reclining airline seat debate - 02/27/2020 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
Apparently according to you, you are always in first class, which has a LOT more room between rows than in coach. In coach, anyone reclining has to impinge on the space of the person behind them. Period.

Reclining, even in first or business class, still impinges on the space of the person behind. Not as bad as coach, of course, but still an invasion of space.

Re: Reclining airline seat debate - 02/27/2020 08:52 PM

Don't want anybody reclining in front of you get a bulkhead seat or second row in exit seating. If it costs more, so be it. If I'm in a reclining seat I'll recline if need be. I don't look at it as an invasion or impinging of space behind me as I consider it part of my space allotted to me for my reclining seat. Passenger has ability to recline their's also to have that extra allotted space.
Posted By: RonDon

Re: Reclining airline seat debate - 02/27/2020 10:20 PM

I have no problem with people reclining except when they do it then sit forward in the reclined seat talking to the people next to them. Recline to rest or ease painful sitting.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline