TravelTalkOnline

Weather in Botswana in May

Posted By: Carol_Hill

Weather in Botswana in May - 04/01/2005 02:39 AM

We are going to Botswana this May and I keep reading out how freaking cold it is on game drives in the morning. However, when I look online for the average high and low in Maun in May, it says 50 degrees low and 75 degrees high. That doesn't seem that bad to me at all. So, what kind of coats, hats, gloves, etc, would you recommend for us to take along in May??
Posted By: JudyG

Re: Weather in Botswana in May - 04/07/2005 03:14 AM

Hi Carol, some thoughts as I recall from our trip which was in August=winter there. May should be more autumn-ish. And Botswana is closer to the equator than So Africa. I took a raincoat with warm lining to zip in and out, (also doubled as warm cover for sleeping on the plane), 1 pr. of gloves, and safari-type hat. Latter was good sun-shield in daytime. It was suggested that we not wear bright colors like red so as not to stand out (like lunch!)

If I were going now, I'd opt for my fav. cold weather item which is a Polartec jacket, although I do have to say that wrapping oneself up in a cozy full-length raincoat was comfy. And that is something that you can carry on the plane and roll up.

We stayed at Inyati Lodge next to Kruger Park in South Africa so a morning ride was followed by a mid-day swim!
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Weather in Botswana in May - 04/07/2005 02:08 PM

Thanks for the reply. When did you go to Africa?? Would appreciate hearing more about your trip..
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline