TravelTalkOnline

Africa on a budget

Posted By: TJTrippe

Africa on a budget - 01/14/2024 03:29 AM

What is the least cost way to spend 1-2 weeks in Africa and see all the animals and Victoria falls. We can rough it.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Africa on a budget - 01/14/2024 01:40 PM

I hear there are some tent camping things you can do, but don't know much about them. Before you get all excited about Vic Falls, you need to look up their current state, as I had heard the flow was greatly reduced at one time. The flow also varies a lot by the season. Your best bet is to get a good Africa travel agent. This is one of the few areas where a travel agent is really needed.
Posted By: toast

Re: Africa on a budget - 02/20/2024 01:28 PM

G adventures has many "camping" tours which are only a couple thousand for 20-30 days. Not sure how much of a budget you have. I just booked them and this is likely only the second time in my life that I have used a travel company. My hobby is planning and taking adventure travels. I agree with Carol though, this is one place I would not attempt on my own. I also see alot of adds for gate 1 and exoticaa which seem reasonable and reputable. You may be traveling among several countries and each one has visa rules so it is good to get all that advice from an expert. If you are US based and a AAA member they also have good resources and I do not think they cost anything.
Posted By: Jeannius

Re: Africa on a budget - 02/22/2024 08:55 AM

My brother in law has a house in South Africa and owns a thing called a Bush Lapa camping trailer. He and his wife go off into the bush with it regularly. I've been inside it but not slept in it. They seem pretty good and cheap to rent, starting around US$100 a night for a 2 week rental. Of course, you then need to rent a 4wd with a tow bar but they are readily available, again, not too expensive. Here's a company that rents Bush Lapa's from Cape Town or Jo'burg... https://www.gocamp.co.za/rental/bush-lapa-miskruier-trailer

Re: Africa on a budget - 02/22/2024 02:01 PM

Mike--that sounds ok for someone from South Africa, but fairly terrifying for some newbie from the States. I foresee lots of opportunities to put yourself in peril.
Posted By: Jeannius

Re: Africa on a budget - 02/23/2024 08:48 AM

Hi Carol. My brother and Sister in law are Brits, now both 70, and they've been doing these trips for years without problems. They use proper organised camps, mostly similar to say U.S. National Park RV parks but sometimes with luxury facilities. It is probably no more dangerous than an RV tour of Florida. Jean and I are probably going with them next African summer so I'll let you know how we wimpy Brits get on with it. toast

Re: Africa on a budget - 02/23/2024 02:24 PM

Mike--OK. Although here in Florida can be pretty dangerous on the roads, as all these old geezers have forgotten how to drive! grin

Re: Africa on a budget - 02/24/2024 06:12 AM

Thanks all. Checked out Gate1 and Exoticaa. Gate1 has some great prices and incinerators for places we have been so if that translates to Africa offers they may be a primary look for us. Exoticaa as well. We are just looking to check the blocks and not looking to be break the bank for doing so. We have other blocks to check.

Thanks again.

Re: Africa on a budget - 02/24/2024 06:13 AM

Looked into that. Crazy one would think it would be a rager year round every year.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline