TravelTalkOnline

conch in butter sauce

Posted By: joe9090

conch in butter sauce - 01/17/2011 03:45 PM

Many years we ate at the Diamond Barrel Restaurant on Back Street in St. Thomas. They made delicious conch in butter sauce. Does anyone have the recipe? Thanks so much.

Carolyn
Posted By: peconic

Re: conch in butter sauce - 01/19/2011 12:54 AM

I make it like this, sort of like a really thick conch chowder...
(I just use canned conch, readily available at all the supermarkets around here)...
Found this online quite a while ago...

Just cut the cleaned, pounded (pound out slices to make tender) conch into bite sized pieces and fry it up with some garlic and onion in butter.
add milk or water and a little flour to make the sauce. Season with black pepper and Matouk's Hot Sauce.
Serve with rice and fried plantains.
Posted By: Peanut21

Re: conch in butter sauce - 01/24/2011 11:14 PM

You're brave if you can use more than a small spoon of Matouks! I love it, but only in small amounts. The peppers have a lot of heat, but they also have that almost fruity taste that is sooo good. I saw a man pour a layer of Matouks on ribs at Lee's one night, and then eat them just like it was BBQ sauce. Makes my eyes water to think about it!!

Re: conch in butter sauce - 01/25/2011 03:07 AM

Matouk's isn't that hot...
if you want HOT, get the Guavaberry Liquid Fire Hot Sauce at the Guavaberry Emporium in Phillipsburg or online...
Now that is HOT!
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: conch in butter sauce - 01/25/2011 02:16 PM

It depends on which Matouk's you're talking about. They have about 3 different levels of heat in their line. The hottest one is pretty darn hot!!

Re: conch in butter sauce - 01/25/2011 02:42 PM

Ya... I know... still can't compare to the Guavaberry Liquid Fire!
1 tsp. of the hottest Matouk's = about 7-8 drops of the Guavaberry!

If you could keep it fresh forever... a couple bottles would last me a lifetime!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline