TravelTalkOnline

Muffin pan mini quiches - lobster

Posted By: Carolyn

Muffin pan mini quiches - lobster - 04/21/2013 04:11 PM

Need opinions
I am making several varieties of quiches in mini muffin pans for Ashley's baby shower.
One variety I want to make is a lobster or crab.
Was thinking that instead of using milk or cream in the egg mixture, I would use lobster bisque with the eggs.
Put lobster meat and cheese in the pie crusts and then pour the egg/bisque mix over it.
Now what kind of cheese? Mozzarella, gruyere, Swiss?
All opinions appreciated.
Posted By: irina

Re: Muffin pan mini quiches - lobster - 04/21/2013 08:52 PM

Carolyn,
I have made mini muffin pan "quiches" and don't bother using a
crust. They come out fine, like little tortillas.
You doing a test run right?
Good luck.
Irina
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Muffin pan mini quiches - lobster - 04/23/2013 12:18 AM

I'd use gruyere...mild, nutty, and melts well.

Re: Muffin pan mini quiches - lobster - 04/23/2013 12:21 AM

so what do you think of using Lobster Bisque for the liquid with the eggs?
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Muffin pan mini quiches - lobster - 04/23/2013 11:34 AM

I think it would work and of course would add great flavor! I'd definitely test it first to make sure.

Re: Muffin pan mini quiches - lobster - 04/26/2013 02:15 PM

Thanks. Gonna give it a try. May bring some Caribbean lobster back to use in it. They are really cheap at $10 EC a lb. that's less than $4 US. I'll cook and freeze the meat to bring home.
Posted By: peconic

Re: Muffin pan mini quiches - lobster - 04/28/2013 01:15 AM

Careful... most lobster does not freeze really well... except for those tiny rock lobster tails...
I know cold water lobster gets really mushy after freezing, and loses a lot of flavor...
don't know about spinney lobsters (warm water/Caribbean lobsters), you may want to contact an SXM local chef about them...

Re: Muffin pan mini quiches - lobster - 04/28/2013 02:18 AM

I have brought Caribbean lobster back frozen before. It freezes fine. Matter of fact, many of the places in the Carribean freeze the lobsters after blanching, and then grill them. I know, as I have received a number of those frozen lobsters as gifts. They are delicious grilled.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline