TravelTalkOnline

Paya Bay resort, Roatan

Posted By: Midsouth

Paya Bay resort, Roatan - 02/24/2021 01:39 AM

I've never seen this resort mentioned here (didn't search specifically for it, either, though..), but we just came back from Roatan where we spent a couple of days there.

Gotta tell you, it was pretty nice. Not all inclusive or posh, but the room was nice; the AC worked; the property was clean; there were plenty of places to sun. We arranged a day of textile diving, and the dive company, Dive Pangea, picked us up at the Paya dock. Meals were excellent.

Given the chance, I'd gladly return.

Re: Paya Bay resort, Roatan - 02/24/2021 01:41 AM

And of course, now that I DID search, I see it has been mentioned, with mixed reviews.
Posted By: chazo

Re: Paya Bay resort, Roatan - 02/27/2021 08:41 PM

We went a few year back and had a great experience, so we went again and had a terrible experience. It was certainly mixed for us. Sadly, a bad experience trumps a good experience any day for us, so we're unlikely to return.
Posted By: o2bnsxm

Re: Paya Bay resort, Roatan - 03/01/2021 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by chazo
We went a few year back and had a great experience, so we went again and had a terrible experience. It was certainly mixed for us. Sadly, a bad experience trumps a good experience any day for us, so we're unlikely to return.

Any hints on what was bad on the second visit?

Re: Paya Bay resort, Roatan - 03/04/2021 02:34 AM

most of the bad reviews I've seen had to do with sand fleas. My wife was bitten, and itched, but I'm immune to sand fleas irritations. I got a couple of bites, but they didn't itch. Roatan sand fleas are kinda wimpy compared to Parris Island sand fleas.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Paya Bay resort, Roatan - 03/04/2021 02:11 PM

Wouldn't Parris Island be fire ants?? laugh Totally different bug!! shocked

Re: Paya Bay resort, Roatan - 03/04/2021 04:28 PM

Carol, the sand fleas at Parris Island are legendary! In any case, I really enjoyed Paya Bay, and would gladly return. I was sipping coffee while waiting on breakfast, peeked in the kitchen, and I swear, they were making my tortillas for the Honduran special. Yum!
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Paya Bay resort, Roatan - 03/04/2021 04:40 PM

OK, I will definitely take your word on the sand fleas, as I don't want to see for myself. smile
Posted By: Southbound

Re: Paya Bay resort, Roatan - 03/09/2021 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Midsouth
most of the bad reviews I've seen had to do with sand fleas. My wife was bitten, and itched, but I'm immune to sand fleas irritations. I got a couple of bites, but they didn't itch. Roatan sand fleas are kinda wimpy compared to Parris Island sand fleas.

Oooh Raah!!!

Re: Paya Bay resort, Roatan - 03/12/2021 02:46 AM

Southbound knows the deal
Posted By: Craigintexas

Re: Paya Bay resort, Roatan - 04/05/2021 07:44 PM

Hey everyone........we are headed to Paya Bay at the end of this month....24-30th...it'll be our 6th or so trip....love the place..can be nude all the time from the room to the beach area. There are several beach areas and
trails all over their peninsula that you can walk nude on. They have a pavilion for nude yoga if so inclined. No, it's not a fancy place, but the food and people are great and the costs are not out of site. Direct flight from DFW or can go
through Miami--all on AA. Come join us there!
Posted By: Craigintexas

Re: Paya Bay resort, Roatan - 04/05/2021 07:46 PM

Keep on the deet and sand fleas are not a problem
Posted By: tandme

Re: Paya Bay resort, Roatan - 09/07/2022 02:19 PM

Any feedback from a recent visit? We went years ago and were thinking of returning next summer. They were just finishing the beach bar at that time and our only "dislike" was the day visitors that came in that did not partake in naturism, felt like we were on display and out of place as we were out numbered. Can only think it may be worse now that the beach bar, which looks awesome, is open. Any input or recommendations for a similar resort/vacation would be greatly appreciated.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline