TravelTalkOnline

Moorings subject to winter swell

Posted By: perky

Moorings subject to winter swell - 01/12/2015 02:43 AM

Starting to figure out where we might go and was wondering if the following locations are pretty calm or are they exposed to possible swells.

1.little harbor JVD
2. Diamond cay (daytime)
3. Leverick..I think this one is safe
4. Haul overs bay Cooper island
5. the Bight..

Just wondering if these might be ok for the.night. We will be there the first week of February..
Posted By: tradewinds

Re: Moorings subject to winter swell - 01/12/2015 03:21 AM

All you mentioned should be OK.
Posted By: warren460

Re: Moorings subject to winter swell - 01/12/2015 05:20 AM

Agreed. How about an opposite list. Ie moorings exposed to swell.
Posted By: beerMe

Re: Moorings subject to winter swell - 01/12/2015 09:25 AM

Starting to think I can't always predict so well so I have a secondary in mind with a third in reserve. I try to make sure I can hit the alternates before sunset.
Posted By: RickG

Re: Moorings subject to winter swell - 01/12/2015 12:14 PM

9-10 ft swells today. We're avoiding Cooper, Dog, Cam and Lee Bays with Marina Cay a maybe. Hoping to reach North Sound, but will bail out at Trellis if today's high winds and swell make banging to wind annoying. We may bypass White Bay on Guana Island, but hope to stop for lunch and check conditions.

We never take a ball or anchor in White Bay JVD. We've spoken to too different crews that spent a night at White Bay earlier this week. They described dangerous conditions with the swell, and it was smaller then.

Cheers, RickG

Re: Moorings subject to winter swell - 01/12/2015 12:17 PM

White bay jvd is a day stop in adequate conditions only.

Re: Moorings subject to winter swell - 01/12/2015 12:22 PM

Rick, are you sure about the large swells? I don't see that on windguru. But your there and I'm looking out the window at snow.
Posted By: RickG

Re: Moorings subject to winter swell - 01/12/2015 12:43 PM

Warren, here's my wind guru. Its a good predictor of conditions in 8 hours. We use windguru too, it's a consensus of a couple of models. Buoy 41043 is real time.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=41043

Need more Bailey's in my coffee for today's sailing.

Cheers, RickG
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Moorings subject to winter swell - 01/12/2015 12:47 PM

I wondered the same thing. There is no swell forecast for the entire week. Looks a bit windy with the standard wind chop but all the anchorages should be fine.
George

Re: Moorings subject to winter swell - 01/12/2015 12:53 PM

Rick, I think you are getting The north swell confused with wind driven waves. They are very different issues. With the numbers I am seeing all the anchorages should be fine. Your buoy will show larger waves from the wind then you will actually see in most of the BVI. The waves will be from the direction of the wind not the N to NNE you get in a winter swell.
G

Re: Moorings subject to winter swell - 01/12/2015 01:02 PM

Here is the best site for a local forecast. If there was a swell they would add something like this to the end of each daily forecast. "Swell from N to NNE 2 to 3 meters". When you see that you know to stay clear of the places impacted by the N swell. With your current forecast of brisk wind many of those anchorages like Cane Garden Bay will be the best places to actually go. White Bay on Guana and Marina Key should be fine also. It will be windy at Marina Key.

http://weather.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/fmtbltn.pl?file=forecasts/marine/coastal/am/amz715.txt
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Moorings subject to winter swell - 01/12/2015 01:05 PM

The swell has dropped to about three feet today (this from Apple Bay)..boats were happily moored in CGB last night..

Re: Moorings subject to winter swell - 01/12/2015 01:13 PM

We need a swell cam in cane garden bay. That would be cool! And useful. All we need to see are our mono masts. The meter should say stay or stay away.
Posted By: mdoyle9999

Re: Moorings subject to winter swell - 01/12/2015 03:53 PM

Here at Leverick, the wind is howling, has heen since last night. I ' m guessing 20- 25 knts. Lots of chop and white caps in Norh Sound. That always means heavier chop outside the sound. A treat day to sail down the chanell, But,not so much taking up SFD.
Posted By: sunbvi

Re: Moorings subject to winter swell - 01/13/2015 12:22 AM

I think I will never understand how swell develops in the BVI and how experts can predict it. BTW: It is said that on JvD Great Harbor etc. is bad with north swell because the waves from north were reflected in the USVI and come back to JvD. It is hard to "believe"/imagine this :-)))
Posted By: LocalSailor

Re: Moorings subject to winter swell - 01/13/2015 05:56 PM

sunbvi said:
I think I will never understand how swell develops in the BVI and how experts can predict it. BTW: It is said that on JvD Great Harbor etc. is bad with north swell because the waves from north were reflected in the USVI and come back to JvD. It is hard to "believe"/imagine this :-)))

This site does give you a good perspective of 'how swell develops' and the predictions being used.
http://polar.ncep.noaa.gov/waves/viewer.shtml?-multi_1-latest-hs-US_puertorico-
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline