TravelTalkOnline

Provisioning / Grocery List

Posted By: jimp1234

Provisioning / Grocery List - 01/19/2015 08:05 PM

There are 4 couples in our group and we're starting the process of figuring out provisioning. Has anyone put together a provision/grocery list that could be sent to each couple? Maybe an excel sheet, or something similar so everyone can update it, then we can easily total items to develop a final grocery list? TIA
Posted By: NCSailor

Re: Provisioning / Grocery List - 01/19/2015 08:16 PM

You can set up an account with Riteway and allow everyone to access/edit the online order form by providing the sign on name and password.
Posted By: stoneyusaf

Re: Provisioning / Grocery List - 01/19/2015 10:13 PM

If you by some chance are provisioning with the Moorings.....you could do what we did....same as what NCSailor said....let everyone go on there and access it and pay for it.....as the Captain I put the main stuff in the account and we split those costs when we got there (water, etc.)
Posted By: Showdavid

Re: Provisioning / Grocery List - 01/19/2015 11:53 PM

Just sent mine in to Riteway. We had a little get together a couple of weeks ago to go over what everyone might like to eat. We provision for breakfast, lunch and snacks on board. Dinner is usually ashore. This year we are spending two days at Leverick in the middle of our trip, so we only provisioned for four days. We'll restock when we're there. Much easier to stow less of everything and not be overstocked and tripping on cases of water. Keep it simple. The less the stove is on, the better.
Posted By: jimp1234

Re: Provisioning / Grocery List - 01/20/2015 06:02 PM

Thanks all. Stoney and NCSailor maybe a stupid question and I should probably set up a login to find out, but it sounds like each couple could add their particular items and the system will keep a running total and deliver on the day of travel. Is that about right? Can they do their own payment for the items they purchase or do you set up one person to make the total payment then split the bill later? TIA
Posted By: maytrix

Re: Provisioning / Grocery List - 01/20/2015 06:07 PM

I don't know how riteway works, but on the moorings site, you can have someone login and pay any portion of the bill you want.

We always just split the total bill by the number of people. I tend to always just pay for it myself and everyone sends me a check or money via paypal.
Posted By: jbuch02

Re: Provisioning / Grocery List - 01/21/2015 04:15 AM

My sense is that too many cooks will spoil the both. With a face to face sit down to meal plan or inputs from crew to the Galley Wench (the designated meal organizer) via email, you avoid this problem.

We did the second option. My daughter is a skilled cook in home, aboard or camping. She did an excellent job of putting a meal plan together getting inputs from all 6 of us. On a seven day trip we ate ashore three times.

We placed a single order with Riteway in advance for staples/non-perishables and shopped one day early for the rest. We just added these to our order and it was delivered along with the stuff we ordered in advance after we boarded for the sleep aboard.

Had a total advance order price and split this 6 ways. As Captain, I got paid in advance and then paid the bill with a credit card when we picked it up. We planned a re-provisioning kitty at an agreed upon per person price and this covered the pick up of a few things we ran short of or planned to get on the way. What was left over paid for one of our meals ashore (Top of the Baths).

Everyone pitched in for meal prep and clean up. No assigned duties. All of us know where we fit in. Many meals pre-prepared and packaged in advance, simplifying meal prep aboard.

This approach worked out very well for the 6 of us on a 7 day itinerary.
Posted By: cwoody

Re: Provisioning / Grocery List - 01/21/2015 06:50 PM

My wife has got menu planning down to a science. Here is the email she sent out to the crew in preparation for next years trip.

Hey sailors – now that the holidays are over, time to start planning the provisioning (grocery shopping, menus, etc) for the trip. To get me started, would each of you please answer the questions below? Once I get an idea of how this group eats, I’ll draft a menu and send it around for input.

1. Please list the foods that you don’t eat – include allergies as well as stuff you just plain don’t like. Remember to include hors d’oeuvres in your list, we have a LOT of happy hours…..

2. Describe what you like to eat for breakfast – are you a light breakfast eater (bagel or yogurt), medium (bowl of cereal), or heavy (the Rancher’s Plate at the iHop every day)

3. Since there are 4 cabins, and we are planning to eat 4 dinners aboard, I thought it would be fun for each cabin to plan/cook one dinner – Give me one or two ideas of what you would like to cook. Remember, simpler is better, as we are limited by space, cooking utensils, and available groceries – chicken, fish, and steaks are usually readily available. We tend to cook most dinners on the grill to keep the heat out of the main cabin.

4. Also, start thinking about what you drink on a weekly basis. As I get more organized, I will send around a list of beverages (alcoholic and non) and you will have to tell me what and how much to order. I don’t need to know now, but start thinking about it. And believe me, whatever you order will probably not be more than one friend who stocked a case of beer per day, for himself.

As we get closer, we’ll organize a Pre-Cruise Party to go over schedule, what to pack/not pack, our planned itinerary (if you have someplace you really want to see, we can probably make it work), etc.

One more important note- please check your passports to make sure they will not expire before June! It takes a while to renew them, and you will need one.
Posted By: HillsideView

Re: Provisioning / Grocery List - 01/21/2015 11:00 PM

FYI Riteway will be opening a small store at Nanny Cay on Thursday Hours 7-7.
Posted By: sail2wind

Re: Provisioning / Grocery List - 01/22/2015 01:11 AM

so there converting the Bobbies to Riteway?
Posted By: warren460

Re: Provisioning / Grocery List - 01/22/2015 03:48 AM

Opens tomorrow?
Posted By: HillsideView

Re: Provisioning / Grocery List - 01/22/2015 04:24 AM

Yup, Bobbys out, Riteway in.Opens tomorrow

Re: Provisioning / Grocery List - 01/22/2015 08:44 AM

It will be interesting to see what they can pack into that place.
Posted By: SoakInSaltwater

Re: Provisioning / Grocery List - 01/22/2015 01:01 PM

Now if only Riteway would take over Bobby's in CGB.

Re: Provisioning / Grocery List - 01/22/2015 01:07 PM

Ditto
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Provisioning / Grocery List - 01/22/2015 01:31 PM

They have been doing a total remodel of the Nanny Cay store..dont be surprised if CGB is next..
Posted By: Gailgs

Re: Provisioning / Grocery List - 01/22/2015 10:20 PM

is there anywhere on virgin gorda to reprovision?
Posted By: sail2wind

Re: Provisioning / Grocery List - 01/22/2015 10:44 PM

several in Spanish Town and one in Leverick
Posted By: bonefish

Re: Provisioning / Grocery List - 01/23/2015 03:13 PM

Used to be a store at Gun Creek. Buck's? We usually find everything we need at Leverick.

I email a blank copy of Bobby's spreadsheet to all the crew and ask them to fill in what they want. The spreadsheet does all the math so you know how much to collect from each crew member. I combine all the spreadsheets into one that gets sent in for delivery. Works great.
Posted By: bonefish

Re: Provisioning / Grocery List - 01/23/2015 03:16 PM

Spreadsheet is here

http://www.bobbyssupermarket.com/make-order/
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline